Can atheists do "good?"

• Thread starter Thread starter _AnnoDomini
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
Zaccheus:
Atheists can be saved through the Baptism of Desire.
Strictly speaking only a person in the state of grace can merit, as defined by the Church (Denzinger 1576, 1582).
I learned that without grace one cannot do anything meritorious. One also cannot gain grace if one is not baptized.
Atheists who do good acts may have baptism of desire and hence be in the state of grace and can do, with God’s grace, meritorious acts.

Is this what the Church teaches?
There are a few dogmas of faith on The Process of Justification, and Actual Grace from Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma, by Ludwig Ott:
  • The sinner can and must prepare himself by the help of actual grace for the reception of the grace by which he is justified. (De fide.)
  • The justification of an adult is not possible without Faith. (De fide.)
  • Besides faith, further acts of disposition must be present. (De fide.)
  • Internal supernatural grace is absolutely necessary for the beginning of faith and of salvation. (De fide.)

Last edited:
Sorry, I meant baptized ex-Catholic, who is now an atheist.
There is no such thing as a baptised ex-Catholic. A baptised Catholic remains a Catholic even if they turn their back on the Church and walk away.
There are only two types of Catholic - those in a state of grace and those in a state of mortal sin.

40.png
Vico:
What is ex-baptized?
Sorry, I meant baptized ex-Catholic, who is now an atheist.
Baptism means that original sin has been eliminated, but it does not mean that the state of sanctifying grace will never be lost. And even being lost through sin, if there is repentance before death, one can regain it.

There is no such thing as a baptised ex-Catholic. A baptised Catholic remains a Catholic even if they turn their back on the Church and walk away.
There are only two types of Catholic - those in a state of grace and those in a state of mortal sin.
So there are atheist Catholics?

Baptism means that original sin has been eliminated, but it does not mean that the state of sanctifying grace will never be lost. And even being lost through sin, if there is repentance before death, one can regain it.
But they are an atheist, they are not going to repent to a God, if they do not believe in one.

Has the church ever commented on those who go through a de-baptizing ceremony. I doubt the church would recognize it but the purpose is to “remove” the baptism itself. I guess it’s a way of proclaiming that they are accepting original sin back into their souls.

Do you think it’s possible to accomplish this? Do you think God would? I’m just curious as to whether anyone in the church would recognize or accept this?

40.png
Vico:
But they are an atheist, they are not going to repent to a God, if they do not believe in one.
So you are confident that you can tell the future then?

Then by the same token it would be problematic to call someone a Christian for no one knows if they will recant their faith in the future.

40.png
Vico:
Then by the same token it would be problematic to call someone a Christian for no one knows if they will recant their faith in the future.
Many do, yet because of a valid baptism a true change was made in their soul. Some Christians remain so others become demons. Yet we cannot judge the state of their souls.

Last edited:
‘He who denies the existence of God, has some reason for wishing that God did not exist.’ - St Augustine

‘He who disbelieves the existence of God has had no credible evidence presented to him.’ - Freddy.

Last edited:
Of course atheists do good all the time. The question becomes what does “good” even mean to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back