Can atheists do "good?"

• Thread starter Thread starter _AnnoDomini
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
What makes those “good”?
I’m not sure that the question is required. Surely ‘avoiding pain’ is something we would all agree is beneficial (unless you needed to suffer some short term pain for long term gain, such as an operation). Does it even make sense to ask why?

Likewise the betterment of sentient creatures. We could always break down that point into further discussions about vegerarianism, hunting etc but to ensure that creatures don’t suffer unreasonably isn’t a matter that really needs to questioned. What we will allow them to suffer for our benefit is a separate issue.

And flourishing of humanity? Well, we want our children to grow in maturity to better face the world and to be educated in the arts and sciences as there are obvious benefits. But why stop at children?

All these points were to point out that criticism that catholicism and its church are not a source for morality through its actions and teachings are completely valid to hold and are not a conspiracy to hold by any educated means.
You do see the internal contradiction above which makes your claim incoherent?
It does hold up the idea that once you can hide behind the idea of “Religious practice”, you can get away with any barbarism in civil society because your reference point of the “good” is the psychological well being of a deity regardless of its immoral outcomes and devastation of people.
And in this statement, you’ve descended into utter nonsense.

This post appears to be simply a deflection from the challenge I made that you prove your claim that the Catholic church changes its moral teaching, specifically on the use of contraception.

To help you out, I’ll re-post the exchange:
40.png
Dan123:
What I was responding to is the suggestion that non-Christian morality systems are meaningless as they can change. My position is simply that all evidence suggests Christian morality is no different.
All evidence? Examining the example you offer, show us where the Catholic church has changed its teaching on the use of contraceptives.
As they say, put up or shut up.

40.png
o_mlly:
40.png
Dan123:
What I was responding to is the suggestion that non-Christian morality systems are meaningless as they can change. My position is simply that all evidence suggests Christian morality is no different.
All evidence? Examining the example you offer, show us where the Catholic church has changed its teaching on the use of contraceptives.
As they say, put up or shut up.
My argument described morality as practiced by Christians worldwide.

Here’s the difference between atheists and Catholics re-posted.
Yes, the people in the hospital are sick but none confuse their particular sicknesses as something that is normal, to be accepted as normal, to be professed as normal.
One may find as many moral systems as their are atheists: they appeal to their own authority which often is how they personally feel about things. Feelings are quite fickle.

Last edited:
40.png
Dan123:
Here’s the difference between atheists and Catholics re-posted.
Yes, the people in the hospital are sick but none confuse their particular sicknesses as something that is normal, to be accepted as normal, to be professed as normal.
One may find as many moral systems as their are atheists: they appeal to their own authority which often is how they personally feel about things. Feelings are quite fickle.
You’re slipping between stating that the church itself generally holds to certain views and doesn’t change them and Catholics themselves. Which isn’t the same thing. Especially when the point being made was that Christians vary greatly in their moral outlook - not specifically Catholics. Although even as we can see on any given thread in this forum, Catholic views on moral questions such as divorce or contraception or sex outside marriage or homosexuality vary tremendously.

And if we read that someone has suggested that we should treat others as we ourselves would wish to be treated and we take that on board as a maxim by which we should live, are we doing that simply because we personally feel that it’s a great idea? I’m not sure of any other way to accept it. Other than actually being told that we have to.

Last edited:
You’re slipping between stating that the church itself generally holds to certain views and doesn’t change them and Catholics themselves.
You’re slipping between the proper understanding of nominal Catholics and faithful Catholics. Both are sinners. However, the former choose to call themselves what they, in fact, do not practice. The latter take their sins to sacramental confession.
Christians vary greatly in their moral outlook - not specifically Catholics …
Understood. This site is Catholic Answers. If our non-Catholic Christian friends wish to post, they are welcome. A number of forums exist specifically for that purpose.
Catholic views on moral questions such as divorce or contraception or sex outside marriage or homosexuality vary tremendously.
If a Catholic holds beliefs that are contrary to the obligatory Church teaching then, when one refers to those Catholics, one ought to use the adjective “nominal”, i.e., “catholic” in name only.

Last edited:
If avoiding pain is the definition of good then is pleasure also the definition of good? What if the OP had said”holy” instead?
It appears that good is just what any individual believes. There needs to be common foundations of what good is. And why anyone should “do” it.

You’re slipping between the proper understanding of nominal Catholics and faithful Catholics.
Just another example of the “no true Scotsman” fallacy! How boring!

Last edited:
40.png
o_mlly:
And yet…
A survey conducted in 2015 by the Pew Research Center among 5,122 U.S. adults (including 1,016 self-identified Catholics) stated 76% of U.S. Catholics thought that the church should allow Catholics to use birth control.[35]
Seems like if someone in the US tells me they’re Catholic, smart money would say they believe people should be able to use birth control. Fickle indeed.

You’re slipping between the proper understanding of nominal Catholics and faithful Catholics.
What turns a faithful Catholic into a nominal one, or vice versa? Is it their feelings on the matter? Are they fickle?

What turns a faithful Catholic into a nominal one, or vice versa? Is it their feelings on the matter? Are they fickle?
There are only two types of Catholics - those in a state of grace and those in a state of mortal sin.

Seems like if someone in the US tells me they’re Catholic, smart money would say they believe people should be able to use birth control. Fickle indeed.
No one argues that the nominal Catholics may outnumber faithful Catholics but that’s not the point.

Unlike many Protestant religions that caved to the people in the pews on the matter of contraception, the Catholic church did not. The Catholic church is not a democracy, Deo Gratias.

We may very need to become smaller in number until the secular humanists begin to realize the evils of abortion, contraception, homosexuality, etc. We will still have the Truth and be ready to share it and embrace them once again.

What turns a faithful spouse into an unfaithful one? Love of pleasure, fear of suffering, selfishness in general.

No one argues that the nominal Catholics may outnumber faithful Catholics but that’s not the point.

Unlike many Protestant religions that caved to the people in the pews on the matter of contraception, the Catholic church did not. The Catholic church is not a democracy, Deo Gratias.
The goalposts have been moved from ‘all non-atheists’ to ‘christians’ to ‘catholics’ to ‘faithful Catholics’. So then do all faithful Catholics have the same opinion on every article of morality?

So then do all faithful Catholics have the same opinion on every article of morality?
All “faithful” Catholics believe all the teachings of the Church in matters of faith and morals.
Of course, that does not mean they might not slip from time to time and commit a mortal sin. If they sincerely repent and go to Confession they will be reconciled to God and the Church.

Just so we’re on the same page can you clarify the addition of ‘defined’?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back