Can I be LGBT and still be catholic?

• Thread starter Thread starter Banjodewulf
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Banjodewulf

Hay guys, i am well aware of church teachings on this topic, and i do just want to be sure that i can still attend the masses at church to spite being in an LGBT relationship. I’ve tried Diginity but it really didn’t help. And i love my boyfriend alot, i just don’t want to feel hated or shunned by the church.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong here: Yeah, y ou can attend Mass but you cannot receive Communion if you are in a state of mortal sin. Being in a LGBT relationship would be a mortal sin…as would anyone having a sexual relationship with anyone outside of marriage and the Church (and God) do not acknowledge divorce/remarriage, gay marriage, civil marriages…

Hay guys, i am well aware of church teachings on this topic, and i do just want to be sure that i can still attend the masses at church to spite being in an LGBT relationship.
You may still attend masses but may not receive the Eucharist, as being in a homosexual relationship is a grave sin.

You can always attend Mass. If you are asking about the Eucharist, talk with your Priest.

yea my priest was vary nice about it, he said he would never deny me the eucharist even if i were in a homosexual relationship. i just wanted to make sure me and him were not both sinning

Your priest is advising you something that is against the Teachings of the Church. A priest doesn’t have the authority to change the Teachings of the Church.

Not to argue with you, but my priest has said his responsibility is to offer the Eucharist to those who ask for it. It is up to us to know if we are in a state of grace. There have been high profile cases where the priest denied the Eucharist - and I honestly don’t know what is the “right” thing to do.

This might hurt, but, if you do have intimate contact with this person you call your boyfriend, you are sinning. It may not be a mortal sin, you may still be in Grace (despite what the others said) because it’s obvious you seem to didn’t know it was a sin, and to mortally sin we must have had knowledge.

However, homosexual acts are still sinful, so, as painful as I know this can be, you must work out a way to not be with this man, or at least just be friends. Maybe you should ask a priest to guide you about this.

Hi Banjodewulf! I think it’s wonderful that you wish to be Catholic and come to Mass. You are welcome to attend Mass, and if anyone judges you for being there or tells you that you aren’t wanted there, I am sorry. God wants you there, but more than that, He wants you to stop living in sin so that you will be able to receive the Eucharist and be in full communion with the Church. I hope to say this in a spirit of charity, not judgment, but God does not want you to be in a same-sex relationship. It is a grave sin and will put your soul in danger of damnation. God only desires the best for you. I understand how difficult it will be for you to change your life so dramatically, but please know that any trial you experience on Earth will be worth it in order that you may enjoy the bliss of Heaven.

Last edited:
As far as I’ve seen, and am aware, Dignity USA is not an accurate reflection of Church teaching on homosexuality. I would advise you not listen to what they have to say.

Edit: Yep, they teach against Church teaching: “In national convention in 1987, DignityUSA declared that it believes lesbian and gay people may indeed engage in loving, life-giving, and life-affirming sex, always in an ethically responsible and unselfish way.”

Last edited:
The priest can’t play morality police. I see your point there. But if this person explained his situation to the priest and the priest gave him the ok to receive Communion, the priest gave bad advice…unless this person is in a platonic relationship with his boyfriend…but if there’s intimate contact…nope.

Unfortunately, one can find a priest these days to suit one’s own preferences.

Being “welcome in the Church” or “being Catholic” is not exactly the issue. Neither is “on the table” in this case, as that regards faith, sacraments, and law, none of which is being evaluated as a “condition” for “membership” or “inclusion” here.

This being said, you have no realistic hope of salvation if you decide that you prefer to abuse the immense and holy gift of your sexuality by using it in a way completely contrary to the design of the God Who created you. You could receive the Eucharist, and depending on the circumstances in your case (which you have not explained, nor do you need to,) the Eucharist would need to be administered if you were to approach to receive. But it will be harmful to your soul. Christ only wants to be united with you in Holy Communion when you are detached from mortal sin, which same-sex sexual activity - and deliberate desire to engage in same-sex sexual activity - would most certainly be, according to Sacred Scripture and the unchanging teaching of the Church for two millennia.

God loves you very much, but He loves you too much not to call you out of the state that you are in.

You may find much more help and resources through the apostolate called Courage.

God bless you…
-K

Last edited:
Unfortunately, one can find a priest these days to suit one’s own preferences.

Being “welcome in the Church” or “being Catholic” is not exactly the issue.
This is true, unfortunately.

You can be a Catholic and be welcome at Mass, in the sense that your fellow parishioners are not going to act uncivil to you and the priest is not going to deny you the Eucharist, often because he doesn’t know you, or if he does know you he leaves it to you to form your conscience and decide when you are not in a state of grace. Priests don’t follow us around and keep track of sins. But that doesn’t mean you’re receiving the Eucharist worthily. You could be committing mortal sin by receiving while not in a state of grace. I have had phases of my past life where I was almost certainly in mortal sin about three different ways including sexual sins, and still received Communion. This was wrong and a bad thing to do, but the point is, the priest didn’t somehow know that and put up a stop sign.

OP, you need to take responsibility for how you’re going to live your life; that means responsibility for following Church teaching if you’re going to be a practicing Catholic (as opposed to a “Catholic in name only”). We can’t really help you because you already know what the correct Church teaching is and all you’re going to get on here beyond that is a lot of different opinions. The ball is in your court, either follow the teachings and walk the faith walk, or if you want to do something different than that, it’s on your conscience.

Last edited:
These guys have been helpful if your desire is to justify your sin. The teaching of the Church is immaculately clear - homosexual activity is a grave sin. You cannot be simultaneously in a homosexual relationship and receiving the Eucharist at Mass. You can attend Mass, though. Jesus loves you, and he desires holiness for you, not mediocrity or sin. 🙂

Last edited:
I would urge you to attend Mass as much as possible, but as others have said, receiving the Eucharist would be a grave sin given your homosexual activity. But remember, we are all sinners and need Christ in our lives. I will pray for you. God Bless.

Last edited:
If you are already baptized in the Catholic Church then you are catholic and will remain so forever. You’ve probably seen some priests or laypeople claim “You’re not a real Catholic if you do X” but they are wrong - not even excommunication can cause a person to stop being Catholic.

Moreover, as the Pope has been reminding everyone since he was appointed to his post, hatred and shunning have no place in the Church since Christ said to love and desire the salvation of everyone. On several occasions Pope Francis told Catholics to treat LGBT people with kindness. If a parish reacts to you with anger or vitriol then they are in the wrong. Some parishes may react in that manner anyway though, unfortunately.

As for your relationship, the Church won’t officiate a same-sex marriage and teaches that sex is sinful if it occurs between people of the same gender or outside of marriage. While technically it’s considered a sin to take communion while in a state of sin, everyone is allowed to attend Mass.

I personally don’t believe homosexual intimacy is sinful or that same-sex marriages should be forbidden, as I fail to see why God would object (among other reasons), but for the sake of being informative I felt I should mention what the church teaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back