Can I be LGBT and still be catholic?

• Thread starter Thread starter Banjodewulf
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Both doctrine and dogma are essential for all Catholics to assent to.

This is getting off-topic and we seem to be at an impasse. You can send a message if you want to debate further on whether doctrines and dogmas are equal in importance.

There’s no impasse, Church teaching is very clear. All the Doctrines (and doctrine includes dogma) of the Catholic Church are to be accepted by all Catholics. If you don’t accept that, that’s between you and God.

There’s no impasse
You are not the Church, and in fact I’ve heard from priests themselves that Catholics are allowed to disagree with the church on social issues as long as they’re open to what the church teaches and don’t actively work against it.

When I said there’s an impasse I was trying to politely say that neither of us, as individuals, are disagreeing with the other. I’m ending the conversation right now because it’s clear this is going nowhere productive.

Last edited:
Nope, I’m not the Church. But the facts I have stated are very clear. If you want me to provide Church teaching that backs what I am saying I will be happy to do so. There are priests who believe all sorts of things, for better and worse. Homosexuality being a sin is not an optional “social issue” that a faithful Catholic can choose to disagree with. It is a clear teaching of the Church from the beginning. I can’t really say anymore, if you don’t accept that, that’s up to you.

Last edited:
Advising him to talk to a priest seems to be part of the problem.
Unfortunately this is true. I’ve met a few priests who were more than happy to advise me not to worry about finding a same sex partner and being intimate with him.

Actually guys, this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCqIKKrvzvQ

and this: https://www.dignityusa.org

These guys have been really helpful
I have taken a look at these sources, and they seem to lighten the topic. I know it is hard to overcome this, but you have to understand that you are not alone. Take me as an example. I used to struggle with the temptation of sexual sin for a long time. And I remember trying to justify these actions by looking for people that argued with the teaching if the church. This, this is part of what turned me away from God more. I kept plunging into mortal sin not aware of the damage being done to my soul. But after praying the rosary and the devine mercy chaplet endlessly and along with constant confession, I finally came back. I am currently 16 years of age and I am going through some difficulties, but I am in much better standing with the Lord.

I encourage you to pray and go to confession as a means to strengthen yourself mentally and spiritually. Do not forget the consequences of deadly sin and the pain you may insure if you continue this until you depart, but more importantly remember that if you come back to the Lord, a happiness far from anything here on earth will be provided:)

I will keep you in my prayers:)

Dominus Vobiscum

Core beliefs of the Church…2 Tim 3:16-17

All scripture, inspired of God, is profitable to teach, to reprove, to correct, to instruct in justice, That the man of God may be perfect, furnished to every good work

My younger brother is Gay and Catholic, but many on here would call him CINO or Cafeteria sadly.

You should get on a call with Trent Horn on the Catholic Answers radio station. He would be able to bring some light to this and make a clearer statement of exactly what Catholics should and shouldn’t believe…

I don’t understand why you bring this up.

Last edited:
sorry some other users on another thread called LGBT and “EVIL ORGANIZATION” and I took great offence to that

Well they are not evil organizations. Catholics shouldn’t hate and instead love them. But a problem does arise when people, LGBTQ or not, try to justify same sex relationships and actions as acceptable in the Catholic Church. This has already been discussed by the church and its authority and thats it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back