Cardinal Dolan: I wouldn't deny communion to Biden

Status
Not open for further replies.
“ “Sometimes a public figure will come and talk to me about it. And I would advise them, and I think that priest (Morey) had a good point, you are publicly at odds with an issue of substance, critical substance, we’re talking about life and death and the Church,” Dolan said.

Receiving the Eucharist “implies that you’re in union with all the Church believes and stands for. If you know you’re not, well, integrity would say, ‘uh oh, I better not approach Holy Communion.’ That’s always preferable than to make a split-second decision and denying somebody,” Dolan added.”

Well of course he would rather someone realize they are not in union and not approach for Communion, but if that public figure doesn’t have that “AHA! moment,” then what? Cardinal Dolan will allow it under any circumstance then? I wonder where he draws the line.
 
Thank-you Cardinal Dolan…
It isn’t as simple as picking who you agree with. the rules of the diocese apply. It also appears Biden has been warned by the bishop of Scranton and the archbishop of Denver: for those who think Biden should have been notified. Why do people want to give Biden a pass?

What message do you think is being sent by these politician proclaiming abortion until birth all week and then taking communion on Sunday? If the church doesn’t stand up for the children, by their silence, they endorse the candidate’s view.

Note the article says
In denying Biden communion, Morey was following a diocesan policy set forth in a 2004 decree signed jointly by the bishops of Atlanta, Charleston, and Charlotte. The decree states that supporting pro-abortion legislation is “gravely sinful” and that public figures who do so must be denied communion until they repent.
 
This is taken out of context. He said he supported the priest who did it. He might not have done the same but he has never had the situation arise.

He was foolish to comment because biden may very well seek out his communion line for political reasons now. I fully expect to see a real life situation unfold before him and then we will see what happens.
 
Has Cardinal Dolan ever given communion to Andrew Cuomo or his father Mario?

They are, and were, publicly pro-abortion politicians. And Andrew has done other things publicly that contradict church teaching without recanting.

I’m not sure if either of them have ever presented themselves for communion to Cardinal Dolan but I was suprised to read that ‘he has never been in the situation to deny someone communion.’
 
Mario Cuomo publicly supported abortion. He said he was personally opposed to abortion, but advocated for it and encouraged other personally pro-life politicans to do so as well.


Thank you for the link. I suppose Cardinal Dolan may in fact have never had to deny Andrew if he hasn’t presented himself for communion. Hopefully someday he will have a change of heart so he can receive again.
 
Oh yes, you are right. He was “personally opposed…” I remember that now.
 
Like he could have an abortion!

Right.

Francis Cardinal Arinze offers this take:
“You can say I am personally opposed to shooting all of the members of congress. But, if someone else wants to do that, it’s just free choice.”
 
Anyone who supports abortion should not approach for communion. Why put a MHC or EMHC on the spot?
 
You can also be an unmarried single 80 year old named SCROOGE, stand up and say I’m pro life, and that apparently gives Catholic Bonafides.
 
You can also be an unmarried single 80 year old named SCROOGE, stand up and say I’m pro life, and that apparently gives Catholic Bonafides.
And apparently you can be unapologetically pro-abortion and seek to expand the abortion industry (lifting the Hyde amendment) and still be treated as a victim by some when you are told “you are not in communion with us” .
 
When you see kids kept filthy in cages. Where parents and kids are not kept track of and court orders are violated, do you say it’s OK. THEY ARE an infestation?
 
Some died and others were exposed to harm according to the Federal Judge. They were all intentionally exposed to a bit of SADISM.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top