B
BLB_Oregon
Guest
Wondering Waif:
spacecadet:
The problem is that both parties know this. They bank on the idea that they just have to figure out what this year’s “trump card” or “winning suit” is going to be among the “social conservatives” and “religious voters”. Once they’ve bagged that, it is on to courting those who are after money or liberty without responsibility or who just want some governmental regulations that make a little more sense, for crying out loud, whoever–that is, the voters who demand results. What’s more, the two parties don’t have to do anything for the “faithful.” They just have to talk a better talk and complain about the other side dragging their feet. “Look at all the ground we’re losing! You can’t leave us now!” **Yes! Both Republicans and Democrats make failure the reason that people of conscience should vote for them again! **I don’t know if they realize we’re all signed on for the ultimate in delayed gratification, or what, but I think they have our number.
The other tack taken by the two parties is to paint the pursuit of money or civil liberty as being “without responsibility” per se. You can’t defend liberties or capitalism in a way that either could possibly be misused, or you are in bed with “The Man” or the “greedy rich” or “the perverts” or the “baby killers” or you name it. If both sides are not playing their cards so as to just leave all the inconveniently religious people shouting each other down while government goes on without them, I’d not be surprised. There are still some good politicians out there, but for the most part, you can’t be in politics without having read Machiavelli.
I think it is high time that the Christians went back to the prophetic ministry of tilting at windmills. After all, it isn’t the government that we are interested in winning. It is souls. If you have to give up the latter to get the former, the choice should be clear.
I’m registered Democrat, in the hopes that I’ll be able to choose some good people in the primaries locally, to support moderate candidates over extreme ones. If I don’t like the Democratic candidate that they come up with, I feel free to cross lines or to vote Independent or for anyone else running in the general election. After all, the Presidential primaries are always a foregone conclusion by the time they get here.
But that is a stance that is undergoing some examination. In all likelihood, I’ll have to do a “pre-vote selection” to decide which party I want to be in for any given election, if either. What a pain! Ah, well, having a big chunk of the voters shifting party for each election could shake things up and also encourage a third party that I’d find more palatable. If the effort gets the parties to scrambling, that could be a good thing.
Actually, she said something along the lines of, “That is very good. Go teach them to fish! That is not my calling.” Her calling was to feed those too sick to learn to fish, too hungry to hold a pole. Once they were on their feet, she said she was happy to send them on to your fishing school, though.The reason that Mother Teresa didn’t subscribe to the the teach a man to fish theory of charity was that it doesn’t work with all cases, welfare is very complicated.
Waif
My theory is that Americans have an unspoken addiction to winning. At present, we would rather vote for the “lesser of two evils” in the hopes that that one will win. Voting for a positive good that can’t win is a “thrown away” vote.i think a better question is
Why aren’t more Catholics or anyone for that matter Independents? And Why aren’t more politicians independents? The whole 2 party system does our country a great disservice. I am waiting for a candidate that is truly pro-life from conception to NATURAL death, cares about helping the poor and family values.
the two parties are opposite extremes. that is how satan works with divisive extremism
The problem is that both parties know this. They bank on the idea that they just have to figure out what this year’s “trump card” or “winning suit” is going to be among the “social conservatives” and “religious voters”. Once they’ve bagged that, it is on to courting those who are after money or liberty without responsibility or who just want some governmental regulations that make a little more sense, for crying out loud, whoever–that is, the voters who demand results. What’s more, the two parties don’t have to do anything for the “faithful.” They just have to talk a better talk and complain about the other side dragging their feet. “Look at all the ground we’re losing! You can’t leave us now!” **Yes! Both Republicans and Democrats make failure the reason that people of conscience should vote for them again! **I don’t know if they realize we’re all signed on for the ultimate in delayed gratification, or what, but I think they have our number.
The other tack taken by the two parties is to paint the pursuit of money or civil liberty as being “without responsibility” per se. You can’t defend liberties or capitalism in a way that either could possibly be misused, or you are in bed with “The Man” or the “greedy rich” or “the perverts” or the “baby killers” or you name it. If both sides are not playing their cards so as to just leave all the inconveniently religious people shouting each other down while government goes on without them, I’d not be surprised. There are still some good politicians out there, but for the most part, you can’t be in politics without having read Machiavelli.
I think it is high time that the Christians went back to the prophetic ministry of tilting at windmills. After all, it isn’t the government that we are interested in winning. It is souls. If you have to give up the latter to get the former, the choice should be clear.
I’m registered Democrat, in the hopes that I’ll be able to choose some good people in the primaries locally, to support moderate candidates over extreme ones. If I don’t like the Democratic candidate that they come up with, I feel free to cross lines or to vote Independent or for anyone else running in the general election. After all, the Presidential primaries are always a foregone conclusion by the time they get here.
But that is a stance that is undergoing some examination. In all likelihood, I’ll have to do a “pre-vote selection” to decide which party I want to be in for any given election, if either. What a pain! Ah, well, having a big chunk of the voters shifting party for each election could shake things up and also encourage a third party that I’d find more palatable. If the effort gets the parties to scrambling, that could be a good thing.