B
BLB_Oregon
Guest
And who appoints the members of the board of parole that has to make the recommendation? The governor, no? And how many on the board were appointed by Mr. Bush by the time he had left office? All of them, no? And Mr. Bush did exercise the power to deny clemency over the recommendation of the board, did he not? How is that anything else but directly causing a person’s death? That seems a grave matter under his personal control.Ignorance abounds. The Governor of Texas has no power to commute a death sentence-at the most he can grant a 30 day stay. I know this becaue I have lived in Texas for 25 yers and have been active in the anti-death penalty movement in Texas- I have attended many candle light prayer vigills in Huntsville on nights executions took place. I also, BTW, counsel in a crisis pregnancy center. What I dont do is suppot people who support abotion-period.
Also, did he make any effort to change the law? To the contrary. He said simply, “If you come to Texas, don’t kill anybody.” How many of those 30 day stays did he grant? One? I hope I’m wrong, but I wouldn’t look to see him at any execution-night prayer vigils. He is frankly pro-death-penalty, and says so in statements that sometimes stray into the flippant in their callous tone.
In 54 countries (61% of the world population) abortions are legal. In 97 countries (39% of the world population) abortions are illegal. There are approximately 46 million abortions conducted each year, 20 million of them obtained illegally.It is a disapointment to me that neither Bush nor my Church opposes the death penalty. However your trying to equate the execution of 100 or so convicted murderers a year with the wanton slaughter of 1.3 MILLION children a year is specious… What we see in your posts is a desperate attempt to rationaize your support for this wanton slaughter of the innocents. I dont think you realize how foolish you look to Catholics who adhere to the Church’s teahings.
In other words, getting abortion made illegal will not stop abortions. That doesn’t mean it isn’t a start, but that what it will be: a start.
I’m not concerned with whether anyone thinks I appear foolish. How is it, though, that you made the assumption that I don’t adhere to the Church’s teachings? Because I wrote, “I think we could have done far better, had we other choices among the living than the last two elections gave us.” Well, it is not as if Mr. Kerry or Mr. Edwards opposed the death penalty. As far as I know, their records are as bad as Mr. Bush’s, even if they haven’t left quite the trail of callous quotes concerning those on death row.
Mr. Bush leaves a lot to be desired. In spite of the number of our brothers and sisters who seem to think he walks on water and stems the rate of abortion, he isn’t going to cause a stampede of believers out of the Democratic party.