Catholic Answers Forums Closing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I joined on the Old CAF in 2013. I remember the “Ask An Apologist” category. In my opinion, CAF ceased having much value after that categories closure. It became nothing more than the Catholic Opinions Forum. It presented an incredibly confusing, distorted, and negative image of Catholicism.

In my opinion, CAF ceased having much value after that categories closure. It
Actually, earlier than that.
Towards the last year of that category there were no answers.
Just reference material to previous questions that never quite fit.

More than once I felt like screaming at these people that I was well aware of how search worked. If it had provided an answer I would not have submitted the question.

It’s like I said on the “did this forum convert any atheists?” thread.

This forum had an identity problem. It was trying to be all things to all people who posted here.
People came here looking for all different stuff. One poster might want Catholic fellowship, another one wants a place to talk about all their personal troubles in life, a third is looking for an actual “Catholic answer” to a question they have, somebody else wants to pick holes in the Catholic faith, other people were seeking spirited “debates” of various levels of quality, and still others wanted a place to air their grievances with the Church/ Pope/ Catholic teaching/ their parish etc. Add in a ton of trolls and people who just shouldn’t be on the Internet period, and it had a bad tendency to explode.

Last edited:
I joined on the Old CAF in 2013. I remember the “Ask An Apologist” category. In my opinion, CAF ceased having much value after that categories closure. It became nothing more than the Catholic Opinions Forum. It presented an incredibly confusing, distorted, and negative image of Catholicism.
I don’t get why you’re still here. I’ve said it before but others (like myself) have been here longer than you, so I’m not moved by your appeal to your history with the place. And you consistently claim that this place should close, probably should have closed earlier, etc. Then what are you doing here? If you think it’s so awful, maybe you should leave it to the rest of us in its last days who appreciate the good in it. It’s Christmas. Stop being a grinch.

It’s like I said on the “did this forum convert any atheists?” thread.

This forum had an identity problem. It was trying to be all things to all people who posted here.
People came here looking for all different stuff. One poster might want Catholic fellowship, another one wants a place to talk about all their personal troubles in life, a third is looking for an actual “Catholic answer” to a question they have, somebody else wants to pick holes in the Catholic faith, other people were seeking spirited “debates” of various levels of quality, and still others wanted a place to air their grievances with the Church/ Pope/ Catholic teaching/ their parish etc. Add in a ton of trolls and people who just shouldn’t be on the Internet period, and it had a bad tendency to explode.
Aside from the last group, I don’t see any reason why all of the others couldn’t find a place, like this one, to visit. The forum didn’t have an identity problem. . . .

Last edited:
Last edited:
. . . .

ETA, I’ll end the suspense for you. I’m still here because I like many of the people, enjoy discussing issues with fellow Catholics, and will truly miss this place when it’s gone. . . .

Last edited:
(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

Silence! Or I shall send you back to Canada!​

Yea, but why not to archivate it?
Its an additional help for people who search. More answers

According to them, it’s not worth the monetary investment. They have plenty of resources on the main website. Archiving the forum would be time consuming and costly. I could see the benefit in archiving the Ask An Apologist section though. But they don’t seem receptive to that either.

Ok, there are a lot of trash and so on, but some members or ex-members were the people who dedicated their lives, TIME for theology study and participation on the forum.
Some posts are revelational treasuries, which comes from nowhere… Which comes just from your passience to read the thread till the end.
Yes, especially Apologetics

Last edited:
This all reminds me of history, some build with toil and then others come and stamp their feet on what was built with such hard labor.
Others worked, plowed, pondered, researched, and here once and… The American capitalism in all its beauty?
Or how we can call it?
In the past, I could not even imagine, or I just forgot that on this forum besides the spirit there is a flesh.
The flesh that is blind to the understanding of very important not fleshly things.

I even not mentioning indexing in search engines when users, no not users, - COUNTLESS OUTSIDERS on google, can find forum answers at any time of the day or night for the most important questions of life

Last edited:
This is not a forum in some provincial language, it was a top forum in English language, read by outsiders from the whole world
End time is coming
The apocalypse is coming when this is destroyed.
Thank you dollar for opening your face

Sadly, he won’t. He’s been trolling with dozens of accounts for a long time. All we can do is keep flagging him until the end and they’ll keep removing his new account. This account has been flagged and these posts will likely be gone by morning, and soon he will lose his free audience.

Last edited:
I miss forums the way they used to be, too. Got comfortable with some Catholic corners of Facebook, but it was sometimes awkward over there with friends and family against my beliefs so I felt like I had to be secretive. And Facebook is getting too big for its britches with its liberal political stance and censorship, so I’ve cut back my involvement there. Was thinking after the US election to spend more time on Catholic forums, including CAF… well, I will do so on others besides CAF, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back