I
Insignificant
Guest
I think mikeledes fails to understand the, Now/Not-yet tension in the new testament epistles. Also it is poor intepretation to take theology from analogy, your reading to much into the vine analogy.
The Cross of Christ pays the eternal price of our sins -something we could never pay for with our works - and liberates us from dominion to sin in order to become slaves of righteousness. Through the Cross of Christ, we freely receive the Holy Spirit which empowers us to do those works pleasing to God. With justification comes the **obligation ** to obey and serve God by LIVING a righteous life. Failure to fulfill this obligation will ultimately result in losing the free gift of justification. Please read Romans 2:6-7 and explain it to me.If bill believed that some how becuase of his merit he was in heaven, he at all earned his way their, I would say he would be condemned to hell, because he has not accepted salvation offered through Christ entirely. Which is what the Gospel calls for.
But you have changed the question. I never said that Bill believed he at all earned his way to heaven, I said that Bill believed what the Church teaches. These are not the same things by any means. If you disagree, show me where the Church teaches that one can earn salvation through good works. Or just save yourself the time, because there is no such teaching.If bill believed that some how becuase of his merit he was in heaven, he at all earned his way their, I would say he would be condemned to hell, because he has not accepted salvation offered through Christ entirely. Which is what the Gospel calls for.
As all of Jesus’s parables, this analogy, Insignificant, expresses a literal truth that contradicts your argument. I gave you the plain reading and interpretation of John 15.I think mikeledes fails to understand the, Now/Not-yet tension in the new testament epistles. Also it is poor intepretation to take theology from analogy, your reading to much into the vine analogy.
Council of Orange, 529 ADWhy is this an either/or situation? Why can’t works both be the result of salvation and requirements for salvation?
And I think the Sola Fide crowd are very selective of the passages they interpret and do not look at the whole Gospel. Can you provide an alternative interpretation, besides the obvious one?sorry mike i think you are reading to much into the parables, and not looking at scipture as a whole.
So true. Some Protestants spend incredible amounts of time arguing against something that the Catholic Church doesn’t even teach. Such a waste of energy!I didn’t say that catholic’s actually believed that they entirely earned their way into heaven, but in the mind of Protestant’s they do, and thats why protestants argue about it so much.
Understood and appreciated.And also I would like to note that I am not here to offend anyone, I do admit that for the most part I am ignorant of the finer parts of Catholic doctrine, hence why i am here to clear up the confusion.
Sure, we can do nothing without grace. Catholics believe this. But where in this do you find that good works, if one is capable of doing them, are not a requirement for salvation?Council of Orange, 529 AD
CANON 18. That grace is not preceded by merit. Recompense is due to good works if they are performed; but grace, to which we have no claim, precedes them, to enable them to be done.
CANON 19. That a man can be saved only when God shows mercy. Human nature, even though it remained in that sound state in which it was created, could be no means save itself, without the assistance of the Creator; hence since man cannot safe- guard his salvation without the grace of God, which is a gift, how will he be able to restore what he has lost without the grace of God?
CANON 20. That a man can do no good without God. God does much that is good in a man that the man does not do; but a man does nothing good for which God is not responsible, so as to let him do it.
Clearly the works are done after Salvation and are also gifts from God, not for MERIT.
Luther did not believe in once saved always saved.I’m sorry, but once saved, always saved,
was unheard of by ANY Christian ANYWHERE in the world until Luther and Calvin thought it up by their private interpretation of the scriptures in the 16th century.
NO early Christians believed this and they explicitly believed that Christians by deadly sin could lose their salvation.
I refuse to believe that the Holy Spirit waited until the 16th Century to reveal the truth of this matter, and then revealed it
through the foul-mouthed Martin Luther and through John Calvin, who (prior to his Reformer days) had been arrested on a sodomy charge in his hometown, and escaped prosecution because his influential father went to bat for him.
If this belief were true, it would have been explicitly held and taught by at least a portion of Christians from the first century down to the sixteenth. There would have been debates about it all along. There was nothing. Nobody believed this, clergy, laity, theologians, nada.
God bless,
Jaypeeto3 (aka Jaypeeto4)
This raises another interesting question. Suppose Tom (I’ve removed Bill the Catholic from this question since Bill believes what the Church teaches) truly believed that Jesus is Lord, and that salvation can only come through Jesus, but suppose Tom also believed, through his study of Scripture, that one must earn that salvation through Jesus. So Tom believes in Jesus but he misunderstands what Scriptures are saying. Does Tom go to hell because he misunderstood, even though he truly and deeply believed that Jesus is Lord?Becuase we are required to have faith in Christ, you said he confessed Christ, I am saying that if he confessed Christ then he doesn’t truly believe that he is meriting his way into heaven. and vice versa.
Works are the fruit of our justitication. We become righteous to live righteously. We don’t live righteously in order to be made righteous.Hear ye, hear ye, I as a Protestant believe that good works are necassary for salvation. But that was never my questions, I don’t understand how(if they actually do) believe that works, to any degree, are at all the cause of our salvation or the justification. In contrast to the result of election.
You really should back up such slander. If you are going to make such a charge on Calvin, because you don’t like him you better provide some evidence. I could name a few Popes whose immoral lifestyles would make Hugh Heffner blush. Please just stick to the issues. Unsubstantiated charges of sodomy is not the type of stone any catholic should be throwing these days given substantiated charges against some clergy.I’m sorry, but once saved, always saved,
was unheard of by ANY Christian ANYWHERE in the world until Luther and Calvin thought it up by their private interpretation of the scriptures in the 16th century.
NO early Christians believed this and they explicitly believed that Christians by deadly sin could lose their salvation.
I refuse to believe that the Holy Spirit waited until the 16th Century to reveal the truth of this matter, and then revealed it
through the foul-mouthed Martin Luther and through John Calvin, who (prior to his Reformer days) had been arrested on a sodomy charge in his hometown, and escaped prosecution because his influential father went to bat for him.
If this belief were true, it would have been explicitly held and taught by at least a portion of Christians from the first century down to the sixteenth. There would have been debates about it all along. There was nothing. Nobody believed this, clergy, laity, theologians, nada.
God bless,
Jaypeeto3 (aka Jaypeeto4)