Catholicism vs Mormonism

• Thread starter Thread starter angel6288
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
In bearing testimony of Jesus Christ, President Hinckley spoke of those outside the Church who say Latter-day Saints ‘do not believe in the traditional Christ.’ 'No, I don’t. The traditional Christ of whom they speak is not the Christ of whom I speak.

They are not Christians according to the Catholic definition of Christians. They are Christians according to their definition of Christians.

You could compare it to English football and American football. They are totally different but both are football.
Shouldn’t any religion that believes in the divinity of Jesus and makes Jesus a central ‘God’ in their religion, be called a Christian religion? Here is how a dictionary defines Christianity: “religion based on the person and teachings of Jesus of Nazareth, or its beliefs and practices.”

: “religion based on the person and teachings of Jesus of Nazareth, or its beliefs and practices.”
Since Jesus is mentioned more times in the Qur’an than Muhammad, I guess that would make even Muslims quasi-Christians then.

Last edited:
My understanding is that the Catholic church officially declares the Mormon church to be non-Christian and that’s good enough for me. I just don’t see anything good over fighting about it.

40.png
openmind77:
Shouldn’t any religion that believes in the divinity of Jesus and makes Jesus a central ‘God’ in their religion, be called a Christian religion?
: “religion based on the person and teachings of Jesus of Nazareth, or its beliefs and practices.”
Since Jesus is mentioned more times in the Qur’an than Muhammad, I guess that would make even Muslims quasi-Christians then.
Muslims don’t believe in the divinity of Jesus, nor is he a central figure in the Koran

Last edited:
This should more correctly say “THE BOOK OF MORMON: TESTAMENT OF ANOTHER JESUS CHRIST”

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

Last edited:
nor is he a central figure in the Koran
Well he’s mentioned more times than Muhammad (in fact Muhammad is only mentioned like 4 times or so). There’s a chapter called “Maryam” dedicated to Mary, mother of Jesus. And they believe Jesus will return in the Second Coming. Their version of Jesus is an important figure definitely.

Last edited:
40.png
openmind77:
nor is he a central figure in the Koran
Well he’s mentioned more times than Muhammad (in fact Muhammad is only mentioned like 4 times or so). There’s a chapter called “Maryam” dedicated to Mary, mother of Jesus. And they believe Jesus will return in the Second Coming. Their version of Jesus is an important figure definitely.
Sure but they don’t worship Jesus, like the Mormons do

Muslims have the hadith as well. Which consists of the words and teachings of Muhammad. I think they use that for Muhammad’s sayings.

Last edited:
Mormons don’t worship Jesus. It’s in their very doctrine.

19 And gave unto them commandments that they should love and serve him, the only living and true God, and that he should be the only being whom they should worship.

The “him” it is talking about is God the Father, a different being than Jesus Christ.

Last edited:
40.png
openmind77:
Mormons don’t worship Jesus. It’s in their very doctrine.

19 And gave unto them commandments that they should love and serve him, the only living and true God, and that he should be the only being whom they should worship.

The “him” it is talking about is God the Father, a different being than Jesus Christ.
“We worship Him in that we look to Him for deliverance and redemption” from What Mormons Believe About Jesus Christ

I like the qualifier “in that”.

Here’s what one of their prophets, Bruce R McConkie said about it:

“We do not worship the Son, and we do not worship the Holy Ghost. I know perfectly well what the scriptures say about worshipping Christ and Jehovah, but they are speaking in an entirely different sense—the sense of standing in awe and being reverentially grateful to him who has redeemed us. Worship in the true and saving sense is reserved for God the first, the Creator.”

Look at post 161. It basically says that Jesus is not to be worshipped. It is from their D&C, not the Book of Mormon.

And gave unto them commandments that they should love and serve him, the only living and true God, and that he should be the only being whom they should worship.
Here is the context of that statement:
4b after his own image and in his own likeness created he them, and gave unto them commandments that they should love and serve him the only living and true God, and that he should be the only being whom they should worship.

4c But by the transgression of these holy laws, man became sensual and devilish, and became fallen man.

5a Wherefore the almighty God gave his only begotten Son, as it is written in those scriptures which have been given of him:
So the 4b says that ‘God’ (meaning the Father) is the only being to be worshiped. Then because man became fallen, 5a says God gave them his only begotten Son.

There no statement after that says not to worship the Son.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back