Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot Issues Stay-at-Home Advisory, Asks Residents to Cancel Thanksgiving Plans

• Thread starter Thread starter Cathoholic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cathoholic

Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot Issues Stay-at-Home Advisory, Asks Residents to Cancel Thanksgiving Plans​

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

AP Photo/Nam Y. Huh

JOSHUA CAPLAN

12 Nov 2020

Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot (D) on Thursday issued a stay-at-home advisory and called on residents to cancel their “traditional” Thanksgiving plans as part of an effort to combat the spread of coronavirus.

Lightfoot announced advisory will take effect on Monday, November 16th, and will last 30 days. The mayor urged residents to avoid traveling, hosting house guests, or leaving their resident for non-essential business. . . .

. . . Lightfoot is the latest Democrat to seek to curb residents’ activities going into the holiday season. . . .

. . . Cases have surged in New York, where Cuomo announced Wednesday that new restrictions would go into effect Friday. . . .

. . . “COVID is getting worse by the day. All around the country. The fall surge is here. We are taking action but we need New Yorkers to do their part. Wear a mask. Get tested. Follow all health guidelines. Take this seriously,” he tweeted.

New York reported 4,820 positive tests and 21 deaths Tuesday and 1,628 hospitalizations.

Chicago Mayor Lightfoot on Lockdown Order After Biden Celebration: Sometimes We ‘Do Need to Have Relief’​

TRENT BAKER

13 Nov 2020

Friday on “MSNBC Live,” Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot (D) addressed the criticism she has received since ordering a citywide lockdown a week after holding a large celebration over the declaration that former Vice President Joe Biden won the 2020 presidential election. The shutdown, which asks the public to cancel their “traditional” Thanksgiving plans, comes after a recent spike in coronavirus cases.

Lightfoot defended her stay-at-home after allowing and attending the large celebration, saying “there are times when we actually do need to have relief,” and the gathering in question “was one of those times.”

“I think that we have been saying all along everybody has to take care, everybody has to take precaution,” Lightfoot explained. “I will tell you in that big crowd a week ago … everybody was wearing masks.” . . .

. . . But this has been a super hard year on everyone. Everyone feels traumatized. They feel threatened, their safety. . . .

Good. More mayors and governors need to follow her lead. Hopefully people aren’t selfish and listen. Imagine how much suffering could’ve been avoided if Sturgis had been canceled.

Balto1 . . .
More mayors and governors need to follow her lead.
Which one?

The “lead” of her doing her schmoozing in the streets ignoring social distancing celebrating?

Or the “lead” about telling other people to cancel their family gatherings?

Last edited:
It’s tragic to think of for how many people this already has and will continue to become a reality thanks to people ignoring COVID restrictions and recommendations.

Last edited:
Balto1 . . .
It’s tragic to think of for how many people this already has and will continue to become a reality thanks to people ignoring COVID restrictions and recommendations.
You mean the Democrat politicians? Or just the regular folk?

I’d rather spend a year isolating so that I and others can spend many more worshipping and loving, but I’m a Catholic so I’m required to respect the sanctity of life.
You mean the Democrat politicians? Or just the regular folk?
Every single person who has violated restrictions, which includes many Democratic politicians.

I don’t think that expression carries well against a virus that is killing people.

If you’re looking for hypocrisy, I’m sure you’ll find it everywhere you look.

I don’t get what you’re trying to say here. The Church has drastically altered its way of doing things during this pandemic in order to protect human life.

Did they take you around to make sure you spread the disease to as many people as possible?

Trump voter here and former Chicagoan. I don’t care if Mayor Lightfoot failed to social distance and is wrong on most issues, Chicago should take her advice on this. It’s one year we’re talking about.

Buks. . .
Trump voter here and former Chicagoan. I don’t care if Mayor Lightfoot failed to social distance and is wrong on most issues, Chicago should take her advice on this. It’s one year we’re talking about.
The problem is, this assumes isolationism is all upside.

And it is not all upside.

ProVobis . . . .
If you’re looking for hypocrisy, I’m sure you’ll find it everywhere you look.
But forget about me, and what you think I am looking for.

These people by their actions, clearly do not believe what they are telling you. (I don’t believe what they are telling you either. At least SOME of their partial-truths.)

The problem is, this assumes isolationism is all upside.

And it is not all upside.
Isolation is hurting people, no doubt. Gathering’s should be modified and reduced but not eliminated. Unfortunately those suffering from isolating are the conscientious, while swaths of those who couldn’t care less for others go their unmerry way.

Last edited:
What good did the first lockdown do? The virus was still waiting for us when it was over. Masks don’t seem to be stopping the virus.

48.png
7_Sorrows:
What good did the first lockdown do? The virus was still waiting for us when it was over.
This should be your hint. The lockdowns should never have ended.
Do you realize what would have happened to our economy and our country if we had remained in lockdown the past 8 months? People had to live and support themselves! Business owners were trying to keep their businesses afloat. Many have been unsuccessful.

That was a political choice. We would have been fine if the government just paid people to stay home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back