Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot Issues Stay-at-Home Advisory, Asks Residents to Cancel Thanksgiving Plans

• Thread starter Thread starter Cathoholic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
You mean the Democrat politicians? Or just the regular folk?
Isn’t it nice to have a politician with bravery instead of those who just shill to the people who yell the loudest.

We have an emergency here and strong action is needed. Even in Montana the governor is telling people to grow up and wear masks.

But some people, selfishly, go on as before.

Which one?

The “lead” of her doing her schmoozing in the streets ignoring social distancing celebrating?

Or the “lead” about telling other people to cancel their family gatherings?
I vote for this one

The “lead” of her doing her schmoozing in the streets ignoring social distancing celebrating!

The Chinese Virus [COVID19] has been with us for 10 months - we know how to ‘social distance’ and ‘wear a mask’, and ‘wash our hands’ [this one we already knew - sheesh - if people did not before- they wont now either 🤔 ]We also know which segment of society is the must vulnerable - elderly and those with underlying health issues.

Those who are extremely vulnerable should take personal responsibility for their own safety. Those who are around the vulnerable should also be very vigilant in their activities - before during and after any interactions with vulnerable people. Everyone should be careful in public spaces - wear a mask, stay physically distant where possible …

Otherwise and with due cautions as noted, people need to resume living … that includes work, school and family gatherings like Thanksgiving with those who make a conscious choice to come together and thank God for each other, our Nation and the many blessings from our Lord that we enjoy.

After all there is living … and living …

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/oct/13/colorado-nursing-home-residents-protest-coronaviru/

Last edited:
Most readers can see for themselves you pretending not locking down HEALTHY individuals just is NOT equivalent to purposeful drunk driving.
Most readers can see for themselves that criminalizing drunk driving when many people do it safely is something you can’t support.
I’m sorry to tell you this PaulinVA, but there is no escaping “risk”.

For anything.
Exactly. This is why restrictions against drunk driving are as ridiculous as restrictions that reduce the spread of COVID.

Take commercial real estate, for instance. Business goes bankrupt means no payment made on the lease which when multiplied by many unpaid leases means no payment on the building mortgage when multiplied by many unpaid mortgages will blow out the banking sector a la 2008. Only worse. Sorry, we are not going to be successful printing our way out of this.
Excellent, nationalize the banks and building stock.

Excellent, nationalize the banks and building stock.
How did that work out for Venezuela?
How did that work out for the USSR?
Among others.
You need to reread your history of banking and finance.

Balto1 . . .
Most readers can see for themselves that criminalizing drunk driving when many people do it safely is something you can’t support.
It’s not going to work Balto1.

I have not and do not support drunk driving.

No matter how you try to slice it, that is just not going to be equivalent to quarantining healthy people or locking them down.

It just is not.

Your argument doesn’t work.

As has been said: The only thing worse than beating a dead horse, is beating the wrong dead horse.

You are beating the wrong dead horse with this “argument”.

Why do you think I don’t support drunk driving?

They are impaired.

Healthy people are NOT impaired and do not need quarantining.

What you are avoiding is the issue.

I just did a thread search on Lightfoot,
and you still have yet to mention her by name.

Instead of focusing on me and what you think I think about drunk driving and other irrelevancies to this thread, why not deal with the issues?

I think you should get back on topic.

They are impaired.
Why does it matter if they’re impaired? Presumably it’s because operating a vehicle in that state could harm others. We restrict the freedom to drive drunk because it hurts other people.
Healthy people are NOT impaired and do not need quarantining.
“Healthy” people can and do spread the virus around and kill people. For the same reason we have drunk driving restrictions we have COVID restrictions, to protect life. As a Catholic I’m pro-life, so I believe my desire to eat in a restaurant or work out in a gym is less important than the lives of the quarter million people we’ve lost so far and the many more we’re going to lose.
I just did a thread search on Lightfoot,
and you still have yet to mention her by name.
My very first post in the thread, which you responded to, was commending Lightfoot for her recommendations.
Instead of focusing on me and what you think I think about drunk driving and other irrelevancies to this thread, why not deal with the issues?
The issue of the thread is COVID restrictions, which is what we’re discussing.

Balto1 . . .
“Healthy” people can and do spread the virus around and kill people.
Just like healthy nursing home employees etc.

Your “cure” is like cutting off your head to stop a nosebleed.

“Healthy people” have been spreading virus around since time immemorial.

The reason to quarantine healthy people now and not last year with the flu is political. Not medical.

Balto1 . . .
My very first post in the thread, which you responded to, was commending Lightfoot for her recommendations.
Yet we are over 55 posts into this, you have not condemned her actions by name despite Lightfoot being the focus of the thread.

I invite you to do so now Balto1. Explicitly.

Last edited:
I’ve already condemned Democratic politicians that don’t take the virus seriously. I’ll make you a deal: if you can acknowledge that COVID restrictions are good policy and that people should follow them I’ll condemn Lightfoot by name.

Balto1 . . .
I’ve already condemned Democratic politicians that don’t take the virus seriously. I’ll make you a deal: if you can acknowledge that COVID restrictions are good policy and that people should follow them I’ll condemn Lightfoot by name.
I’ve already acknowledged that.
But my “restrictions” are self-imposed.
Not Government imposed.

Now you can get going explicitly on Lightfoot as you said you would.

Lightfoot’s recommendations can’t be enforced, she’s asking people to voluntarily do itfollow them. You have literally nothing to criticize her for if you believe the way you do.

Last edited:
I explicitly condemn Lightfoot for attending the celebration.

. . . .

Last edited:
Balto1 stated . . . .
Lightfoot’s recommendations can’t be enforced, she’s asking people to voluntarily do itfollow them.

To the readers here. This was more wrong information from Balto1.

Here is the correct information from last May . . .

Chicago Police Only Arrested People For Social Distancing Violations On The South And West Sides, Data Shows​

Of the adults arrested, nearly every person was Black. Most of the social distancing citations were issued in majority-Black and Latino neighborhoods, too.

PUBLISHED ON MAY 26, 2020 3:20PM CDT. Maxwell Evans and Kelley Bauer

SOUTH SHORE — Despite the mayor’s claim that police have enforced social distancing equally across Chicago, data shows almost all arrests and citations for congregating have been issued on the city’s South and West sides.

All 13 arrests and 11 of 13 citations have been issued in majority-Black and Latino neighborhoods on the South and West sides, according to public records obtained by Block Club Chicago.

Between March 20 and May 21, 13 people were arrested for violating the stay at home orders. …

From even last March . . .

Breaking Coronavirus Quarantine In Illinois Could Mean Serious Legal Consequences​

Last edited:
You’re posting months-old articles about lawful restrictions in a thread about Lightfoot’s unenforceable advisory. Please try to stay on topic as you so helpfully advised earlier.

Balto1 . . .
You’re posting months-old articles about lawful restrictions in a thread about Lightfoot’s unenforceable advisory.
Which was enforced.

Why do you think new restrictions will NOT be enforced when older ones already were selectively enforced?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back