Closer to God..... but farther from salvation?

• Thread starter Thread starter WillC
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont know, I doubt it. Find out. i would think it could be venial or mortal. i don’t give the graces though, or can comment on God’s expectations for it. For all i know its resisted frequently. I do know that few of us have attained perfection in doing Gods will.

Hmm. Grace and our cooperation with it is how perfection is attained as we struggle to avoid sin and do God’s will. Anyway, we’re veering off course a ways. The real point is that you say that someone who is raised Catholic and leaves the Church has full knowledge about the Church’s necessity and is fully aware of the consequences and is thus fully culpable and fully hell-bound and I say, nonsense.

you say that someone who is raised Catholic and leaves the Church has full knowledge about the Church’s necessity and is fully aware of the consequences and is thus fully culpable and fully hell-bound
Nope, you saying said Catholic “didn’t know” makes his sin less is nonsense. Apostasy is no joke.

Nope, you saying said Catholic “didn’t know” makes his sin less is nonsense.
And, again, no one knows anything just because a bunch of information regarding unprovable supernatural truths has been laid at their feet. That would amount to hocus pocus- or wishful thinking at best. And does not a good Catholic make IMO. Jesus tells us to ask, seek, and knock. That’s where faith is exercised and that’s where love of God takes root, blossoms, and grows, which is virtually the entire purpose of the Church: to initiate and nurture that relationship between God and the individual. Until then “Catholic” or “Christian” doesn’t really mean much, whether a person is inside or outside the Church. It’s pretty hard to apostatize when a person’s head and heart aren’t there to begin with.

Which is even more damning. You’re describing willful ignorance.
Nope, just honest ignorance. The TRUTH, IOW. And truth is always better than its alternative, even when uncomfortable. As Augustine once said, “All truth is God’s truth”. Of course it took him quite awhile to accept Catholic truth, even after being told. So maybe we should ignore him.

Last edited:
As Augustine once said, “All truth is God’s truth”. Of course it took him quite awhile to accept Catholic truth, even after being told.
Augustine also said, “Late have I loved thee.” He cuts you more than me.

Really? I can echo the same line in my own life. Augustine finally entered the Church on his own, by his own volition. Catholics who’re baptized as infants and instructed in the faith as children are not in that category to begin with. So I did essentially what he did, only by re-entering as an adult later in life.

God has a plan, and knows the outcome for each of us. He’s not lying in wait to send us to hell even as that’s an option that we can ultimately choose. Each step of Augustine’s life was one step closer to God, even as he was immersed in Manichaeism; He had a heart and desire for truth in any case. And his past experiences and philosophical studies were all pertinent and well-used in his later prolific theologizing as a Christian. St Paul could’ve died as a zealous Pharisee persecuting Christians. God used that zeal in a new, right, way when Paul was finally converted to God as revealed to him instead.

I’m saying that wearing the name “Catholic” is not enough, just as outward appearance of obedience of the law was not enough for the Pharisees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back