CNN medical analyst wants to ‘cancel’ Christmas over COVID fears

• Thread starter Thread starter Cathoholic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Most archdioceses, mine included, have instituted dispensations from Mass attendance.
Yes but so what?

What about people who understand the value in attending Mass, want to attend Mass, see others attending Mass in other dioceses without the world ending . . . but still because of their Government . . . . are not allowed to attend Mass?

Then what?

Last edited:
I want to be in a loud restaurant full of people having a good time. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. Doesn’t mean I get my way.

If the proper Church authorities have instituted dispensations that’s pretty much the end of the story.

It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy
Why reduce this down to you. And your “feelings”?

There are many other aspects you have ignored that concern others.
If the proper Church authorities have instituted dispensations that’s pretty much the end of the story.
And that’s fine for you. If you feel the need just to NOT be missing Mass because there might not have been a dispensation for you (say last year) that’s fine.

But other people know the BENEFIT of assisting at Mass (which is WHY they often go to daily Mass too) and WANT to be there, dispensation or not.

There is more than a dispensation involved here.

Last edited:
Why reduce this down to you. And your “feelings”?
Because that’s what your post does regarding Mass.

People need to start seeing this as a corporal work of mercy. You’re not being merciful if you’re putting others at risk.

I might feel better if the same politicos calling for “cancelling” Christmas were just as loud about cancelling liberal and progressive oriented protests as well.

If they’re telling us we shouldn’t have Christmas, they should be telling Antifa and BLM to stay off the streets, that they shouldn’t gather either. If I’m not hearing that, then I have to assume the anti-Christian thought behind these pronouncements.

You’re not being merciful if you’re putting others at risk.
What are you saying?

Say a bishop has issued a dispensation from Mass. You are still permitted to go to Mass; it’s just if your circumstances are such that it would be unwise, you have a dispensation.

If some people decide to attend Mass, that is their decision. They are not unmercifully putting people at risk, because the others there at Mass are also there as the result of a decision they have made.

The call to “Cancel Family Christmas” will become frenetic by national leftist as Christmas approaches closer.
Fake News. CNN medical analyst did not say to cancel Christmas. This is the kind of exaggeration we have come to expect from right-wing media.

48.png
Cathoholic:
The call to “Cancel Family Christmas” will become frenetic by national leftist as Christmas approaches closer.
Fake News. CNN medical analyst did not say to cancel Christmas. This is the kind of exaggeration we have come to expect from right-wing media.
Sure Leaf.

When a couple weeks closer to Christmas and I post CNN using that phrase you will get behind me then. Right?

And when the CNN medical analyst DOES say (and it is quoted) . . .
the United States “just can’t do” this year
That doesn’t count. Right leaf? Because he in actuality did not use the phrase “cancel Christmas”, he just said we “just can’t do” it this year.

So we are all good.

Or we can pick gnats and reject it if the “medical analyst” from CNN doesn’t say it.
Others from CNN CAN say it, as long as the “medical analyst” from CNN doesn’t we’re good to go.

And we are also good with the “fake news” label against the St. Paul Pioneer Press ("TwinCities.com), NexTar media from a local Fox affiliate, and the quote of Lenglet explicitly saying " “I would say, without any hesitation, that we ought to cancel Christmas,” . . .

. . . . it must all be made up.

It’s all fake news because you said it is fake news.

Last edited:
Sensationalism at its finest.
Clickbait at its best. Lets all panic a population.

Who is feeding this diatribe to the masses? Who is again incorrectly reading a news article?

Advent and Christmas, New Year, and all the other holidays will not be normal. How can they be?
No one is cancelling Christmas. USA cannot do a normal Christmas. Neither can most countries.

The entitlement to do as is always done makes me wonder what would happen in a war time scenario. Its all me me me, rather then the good of the community and the love of neighbour.

Sacrifice is going to be needed to beat this. We are not all going to get vaccines pronto.
Authorities have stated who will be first in line, it wont be joe normal.

Last edited:
I wonder if the elite are actually surprised on how easy it was for them to throw tyranny over the populace.

If some people decide to attend Mass, that is their decision. They are not unmercifully putting people at risk, because the others there at Mass are also there as the result of a decision they have made.
This 1234567

And when the CNN medical analyst DOES say (and it is quoted) . . .
the United States “just can’t do” this year
Exactly! When you see “just can’t do it this year” you have to know what the “it” means before you can say if it is the same thing as cancelling Christmas. From what I saws of the comment, he was talking about travelling to big family reunions. Actually, this nation does not celebrate a Christian Christmas season. For Christians, the Christmas season starts on Dec. 25. Before that it is the season of Advent. The spirit of Advent is very different from the spirit of Christmas. Advent is a time for quiet watchfulness. As Jesus said in the Gospel last week, stay awake and watch. An Advent spent in quiet reflection is actually much more Christian than the very secular family Christmas celebration that almost universally occur before the Christmas season. That is wrong. The real celebration of Christmas in the Christian sense, is not being cancelled. It is like when the Grinch stole Christmas, but Whoville had Christmas anyway. What the Grinch took from Whoville is comparable to what covid-19 is taking away from our society - it is the inconsequential stuff. To identify the loss of that stuff - travelling, merry-making in the wrong season - as “cancelling Christmas” is to lose sight of what Christmas really is.

People need to start seeing this as a corporal work of mercy. You’re not being merciful if you’re putting others at risk.
So the Bishops having Mass are wrong and StudentMI is right.

Right?

And those people going to daily Mass are the real problem.

Right?

he was talking about travelling to big family reunions.
That’s exactly the point.

“travelling to big family reunions” in context concerns Christmas.

Look. Go ahead and think whatever you want.

I disagree with your assertion here.
An Advent spent in quiet reflection is actually much more Christian than the very secular family Christmas celebration that almost universally occur before the Christmas season.
This is a false dilemma fallacy.

Some families enjoy being together at Advent AND Christmas AND not engage in a “very secular family Christmas celebration”.

Last edited:
Over a quarter million dead that would not be dead if there was no pandemic.

What a very sad reality.

Mothers, fathers, aunts, uncles, grandparents, children, all gone who would likely be alive without the pandemic.

My father-in-law enjoyed dancing and spending time with his family. He enjoyed a good joke.

He’s been gone for months now. Followed by countless others.

😔

Is this really what Christmas means to people? Geez, we’re so spoiled that we can’t handle celebrating Christmas as it had been celebrated for centuries. We’re doomed as a race.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back