Confirmation for protestants

• Thread starter Thread starter Nicky777
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are priests and there are priests, and only the ordained ministerial priests fill some of those roles, including that of making the sacrifice of the High Priest physically present on Earth.
That is your belief and according to the Word there was but one sacrifice sufficient for all. Jesus also clearly told his disciples when speaking of flesh that he meant his words. He made it abundantly clear because even the disciples stumbled when he said “For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed. He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.”.

Jesus clarified to the disciples the following.

63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

The Catholic priest is Christe persona (representative of Christ through the Sacrament of Holy orders) with the power to call our blessed Lords presence body blood soul and divinity in the form of bread and wine as he promised in the upper room before his passion as everlasting food and drink during the sacrifice of the mass. So we may abide in Him and him in us to fulfill what he said in the book of John chptr. 6: 50-70. This is the Sacrament that ultimately defines His Church. Our priests have the power to do thisdown through the ages through apostolic succession. The Orthodox church’s Eucharist is valid as well. I pray that my protestant brothers and sisters realize this and come and join this banquet of Graces that our Lord would be pleased to pour down on those who follow his infallible teachings through his Holy bride the Catholic church. Come join us.

Last edited:
Of course Christ is the high priest there’s no denial. But didn’t Christ give his apostles the power to forgive sins? And didn’t He say that they would through the power of the Holy spirit do greater things (Miracles) than what He performed while He was with us? So why then do you not believe His word? Christ said the He would be with His Holy Church until the end of time. So do not continue in your unbelief, but believe and stop all your foolish resistance and come home. God love you.

Last edited:
Do you think Catholics disagree with this?
See the post right above yours. Catholicism re-sacrifices Christ every mass. So the answer is yes I think Catholicism teaches contrary to one sacrifice was sufficient for all.

Catholics participate in that one sacrifice every Mass. You misunderstand the sacrifice of the Mass.

Please explain why a person would need to literally eat the flesh of Jesus and drink his actual blood if Jesus himself said the flesh profiteth nothing.

Please explain why a person would need to literally eat the flesh of Jesus and drink his actual blood if Jesus himself said the flesh profiteth nothing.
The flesh in general does not. His does.

He did say to eat His flesh and drink His blood. He said “this is my Body.”

See, I can proof-text, too.

You know, you make solid points but holy cow does the way you make them drive people away. Have you ever successfully convinced anybody of anything?

Why not read the entire chapter? I’m showing you that originally the disciples were pondering just as Catholicism does. Jesus clarified what he said and left no room for private interpretation. If you have issues with what Jesus himself said you’ll have to work that out between yourself and God. I merely pointed out Jesus’ own words concerning the subject.

Christ said all of those things. His church are believers. I put my faith in God and not in the institution of men.

Yep. Not another sacrifice or additional sacrifice or added sacrifice or repeated sacrifice or later sacrifice or re-sacrifice. The Sacrifice. That one.

Last edited:
Yes the flesh of men is of no consequence. But the flesh of our incurrpt Lord and Savior. Who is no mere man, is Life for the world. Without this Sacrament and the others, how can we receive the the Grace’s necessary to be worthy of His promises. Meaning eternal life in His Kingdom. Do you remember of His 72 apostles, 60 of them left because they took Him literally. But, He didn’t call them back saying, wait guys I only meant it metaphorically. He said to the remaining 12 will you too leave? Then St. Peter answers Him saying to whom shall we go? For you have the words of everlasting life. Recall also how many times our Blessed Lord mentions that his flesh is real food and his blood is true drink. In fact, His blood is the blood of the new covenant or testament (like our scripture is called. i.e.The new Testament. Just as inciteful, the new Testament is the Eucharist.) I don’t know why you refuse to see this? Other than you are wise in your own eyes. Take care my brethren, not to miss the banquet of Graces meant for you if you would only be disposed to receive them. God love you.

Last edited:
RTB - you seem like a reasonably smart, learned person. You read the Bible - which makes me an instant fan. However - there are a lot of other smart, learned people on this forum and - believe it or not - a whole bunch of them are Catholic. Catholics have been reading and studying the Bible - for a long, long time. In fact, if you have a look at the Catholic Catechism, you’ll see that a great deal of it references scripture - either directly or via footnotes. Here’s a helpful link for you:

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX.HTM

Pretty much everything you think you’ve nailed as far as Biblical interpretation goes - they’ve thought about as well - for a really, really long time. Now, I’m a reformed Protestant - 4 point (plus) Calvinist if you’re keeping score at home. While I have some differences with my Catholic brothers and sisters here - I always assume that they’ve read and studied our King’s word as much or more than I have.

After all - as Paul says “in everything consider others better than yourself”. Humility goes a long ways my friend.

Amen. Pray for me to receive and increase the virtue of humility. I realize I have a long way to go. For the root of all virtue is Humility and the greatest virtue is love. I apologize if I sounded prideful. Because the root of all sin is pride. God love you. I will hold you up in my rosary today.

Last edited:
No apologies necessary friend. Trust me - I have you beat by a mile when it comes to pride. I can use all the prayers I can get. Thanks and God bless.

40.png
HopkinsReb:
Why not read the entire chapter? I’m showing you that originally the disciples were pondering just as Catholicism does. Jesus clarified what he said and left no room for private interpretation. If you have issues with what Jesus himself said you’ll have to work that out between yourself and God. I merely pointed out Jesus’ own words concerning the subject.
Not just Catholicism, but also Orthodoxy, Lutheranism, Anglicanism (for the most part). In other words, it isn’t a Catholic vs. Protestant divide.
Christ’s own words: “this is my body.”

This is repeated 4 times in scripture. He doesn’t say, “this is like my body”, or “this is a symbol of my body.” It isn’t even like the “I am…” statements.

This is. A definitive Statement.

Last edited:
I’ve already answered and gave the reasons for my answer.

Jesus says to the multitude in John 6

53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.
54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.
55 For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.
56 He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.

We then see the disciples worried at this teaching because after all who eats flesh and drinks blood? Jesus knowing their thoughts tells them exactly what he was preaching about.

59 These things said he in the synagogue, as he taught in Capernaum.
60 Many therefore of his disciples, when they had heard this, said, This is an hard saying; who can hear it?
61 When Jesus knew in himself that his disciples murmured at it, he said unto them, Doth this offend you?
62 What and if ye shall see the Son of man ascend up where he was before?
63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.
64 But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him.
65 And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.

Jesus doesn’t say after I’m crucified be sure to literally drink my blood and eat my flesh. He indeed says the exact opposite. He tells them that his words and doctrine are the the exact thing he is talking about when he says blood and flesh. If Jesus wanted them to believe they should drink his blood and eat his flesh literally he wouldn’t have gone out of his way to correct them because that is exactly what the disciples thought before Jesus corrected them.

I understand that is not what you believe but that is as clear as anything that’s in the scripture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back