Contradictory Religions Can’t All Be True

• Thread starter Thread starter upant
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
are they correct? is Jesus just a man?
Are they correct? As the thread title points out they cannot all be correct. They can all be incorrect.

Many Buddhists see Jesus as a Bodhisattva, which in Buddhist terms make Him higher than any god. Judging by their actions, most gods are not close to enlightenment: they demand animal sacrifices and they kill people for example.

There are more options for Jesus than just God, man or both.

40.png
adf417:
It totally depends on your definition of “truth”, “partial truth”, “good”, “salvific”, “useful”
it stands on what happened. Did He or Did he not die and come back to life? it can’t be yes and no.

“If Christ has not been raised, your faith is worthless.”
Agreed - to a point, but not completely.

You may want to consider the law of noncontradiction, which i am just learning about so i am no expert. In your statement above since JWs believe Christ has risen, you make JWs Religion “worthwhile” and i dont think that is your intent.

Maybe “worthless” is not a good term to describe where you are going.

Peace!!!

Last edited:
Jesus is more than a “Son of God”, He stands apart, He claims He is God. this is the difference and if true, the other religions fail
Obviously you would think that Jesus stands apart. But I am not sure what you mean by ‘more’ that a Son of God. There have been others who have claimed to be God too.
thank you for the website, a quick review shows each has something that is incompatible with the others, again only one can be true. which one is it?
I don’t think they are incompatible, but none of them are perfect. Each has some flaws and inaccuracies.

You may want to consider the law of noncontradiction, which i am just learning about so i am no expert. In your statement above since JWs believe Christ has risen, you make JWs Religion “worthwhile” and i dont think that is your intent.
they do not believe his body was raised from what I know, they believe his spirit was raised.
The Watchtower organization says that Jesus did not rise from the dead in the same body he died in (You Can Live Forever on Paradise Earth, pp. 143-44). Instead, it says that He rose as a spirit creature and that the material body of Jesus was taken away by God the Father. Therefore, they deny the physical resurrection of Christ. Is this important? Most definitely! (CARM)
There have been others who have claimed to be God too.
have they risen from the dead physically?
I don’t think they are incompatible, but none of them are perfect. Each has some flaws and inaccuracies.
there are contradictions that make them incompatible with each other, only one can be true.

the idea is to compare and contrast and see which is true, not settle for all paths lead to heaven.

have they risen from the dead physically?
That belief is not as important to non-Christians
there are contradictions that make them incompatible with each other, only one can be true.

the idea is to compare and contrast and see which is true, not settle for all paths lead to heaven.
Not necessarily all of them can just be partly true…

Last edited:
40.png
adf417:
they do not believe his body was raised from what I know, they believe his spirit was raised.
I understand but now you are moving the goalposts which is why i recommended the book and chapter above discussing this in detail and why i said in my first post “ depends on your definition of “truth”, “partial truth”, “good”, “salvific”, “useful”.

Your new requirement falls into the “partial truth” argument. Its a good and enlightening book.

Peace!!!

Yes at all. Now you are splitting Jesus into two: Jesus-as-God, who did not die on the cross because God cannot die and Jesus-as-man who did die because all men die.
No, that would go against my faith. I am saying that Jesus could die through His humanity. There is nothing that suggests God can’t die neither anything that suggests death has any effect on Him. In other words it is theoretically possible for God to die but suffer no consequences of death. Anyhow, my answer to nature of Jesus would of course be diaphysitism or miaphysitism (both work).

By the way, when humans die they do not lose life either. Abraham died yet he is referred to as living person. Jacob died yet he is referred to as living person. We do not believe Jesus was dead when he died. We believe he rose “from the dead” but that phrase does not say he was dead. You can’t apply atheistical concept of human death to God… not successfully.
Not necessarily all of them can just be partly true
Yes, they can all be false.

I doubt it. Nothing that hundreds of millions of people believe is completely false. There is a lot of truth in all major religions. But none of them are perfect or totally accurate.
If they aren’t completely accurate they are objectively false. That does not mean every aspect they have is false ofc.

40.png
openmind77:
I doubt it. Nothing that hundreds of millions of people believe is completely false. There is a lot of truth in all major religions. But none of them are perfect or totally accurate.
If they aren’t completely accurate they are objectively false. That does not mean every aspect they have is false ofc.
If they are 70% or 80% accurate then that is not ‘objectively false’. That would be like saying newtonian mechanics is ‘objectively false’.

No, that would go against my faith.
But it goes against my logic. If some X has two opposed properties, then that X is a compound of two or more different parts.
We do not believe Jesus was dead when he died.
That is ridiculous. If He was not dead then He did not die. If He died then He was dead. Those are the definitions of the words. Otherwise you are into Humpty Dumpty argumentation, where words mean what you want them to mean, not what it says in the dictionary.

How could he rise from the dead if He was not dead? Are you saying He “rose from the not-dead”? That is something I do in the morning. I am not dead and I rise.

Last edited:
If they are 70% or 80% accurate then that is not ‘objectively false’. That would be like saying newtonian mechanics is ‘objectively false’.
Well aren’t they? Subjectively things in them are true but it is still objectively speaking false thing.

But it goes against my logic. If some X has two opposed properties, then that X is a compound of two or more different parts.
Yes, but humanity is not opposed to divinity. Even then, grey has black and white yet it isn’t partly white and partly black.
Those are the definitions of the words.
No they aren’t… not for God. Neither for humans apparently as we call Abraham and Jacob to be living people (and hence God is God of the living etc).
How could he rise from the dead if He was not dead? Are you saying He “rose from the not-dead”?
Our Lord came down to the dead and freed them, then He rose up in his physical body. That is how He rose from the dead. He rose from place of the dead.

40.png
openmind77:
Well aren’t they? Subjectively things in them are true but it is still objectively speaking false thing.
OK, if you say so. But in practical terms newtonian mechanics work fine or well enough in almost all cases.

OK, if you say so. But in practical terms newtonian mechanics work fine or well enough in almost all cases.
Yes, I am not denying that. But if we search for absolute truth we do not settle for newtonian mechanics. It may be good enough or precise enough. I guess that’s more of a terminological thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back