COVID-19 mutation may be evolving to bypass mask-wearing, hand-washing

• Thread starter Thread starter Cathoholic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, they’re gone, again.
And once again, back.

@camoderator - please address the user sesuriVtoNContagious. He/she is at it again. As with previous rounds, the user is starting off with liking COVID-19 related post and has placed a link to a questionable site in their bio. The account was created 7 minutes ago. I suppose it is preparing to start spamming the forum again.

Thanks.

Nothing charitable to say. Perhaps I should approach it as a game. “Wack-A-Morl”, “Wack-A-Wacko”, or something similar.🤤

Since we are off topic,
I’m trying to take a picture of some things from my garden. But darned these smart cameras! It is doing automatic white balance! For this photograph that results in the picture being desaturated! The redness of the peppers looks a lot more dull! It’s like when you are printing something out and the printer is low on toner.

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

Since we are off topic,
This past Saturday for “THE GAME”

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

hamburger dip, cheese and guava paste things, salad, and Jalapeno Boats ( 3 pans of these, they go fast. )

All of the Jalapeno’s were from my Garden.

Last edited:
Piece of Sharp Cheddar with a piece of Guava Paste on top. then some of them were skewered with a toothpick with “Anchovy stuffed Olives” from “Goya” added on.

Guava paste is also from “Goya”.

Last edited:
umamibella . . .
What is the purpose of mutation?
There are no purposes to mutations unless they are carried out by rational individuals (i.e. a mutatation to lower virulence yet still provide an antigenic challenge substatial enough to set immunity in action in the case of a human gene splicing for immunization purposes i.e. an attenuated viral end-product).

Most mutations are harmful to microorganisms.

umamibella . . .
The myths surrounding mask wearing are close to my heart, living in a mandated mask wearing state. We operate on facts, established medically, not myth.
Great. Then please link me to one study that defines masks, shows them in a widespread social situation, and shows how it stops epidemics and/or wider pandemics.

Last edited:
. . . .
Please stop now contradicting my posts regarding public health advice on mask wearing.

I have never contradicted any public health official on masking.
worthless masking up of society
Public health advice is that masks have worth and value in fighting the spread of this virus.

Not one professional public health authority anywhere globally has ever described masks as worthless.

This is my last post in response.

Last edited:
This war against an invisible enemy has been a national public health emergency and should have had the whole country unified and on the same page.
However, to play Devils Advocate, this crisis didn’t emerge in a vacuum.

It emerged in a nation that already was divided and doesn’t trust the media or the government or experts anymore.

A lot of really bad behavior on the side of authorities over many many years led the country to the point that when a real crisis came, everyone was scared of the virus, but also unwilling to be played for a fool (or worse, to die).

I don’t know what our society is going to do to fix this.

Not one professional public health authority anywhere globally has ever described masks as worthless.
Well, of course. But when you spoke of the worthless masking up of society, were you speaking only of people the wear a mask totally wrong, such as covering only their chin?
When they are not changed.
When they are not changed, they are still not worthless. Unless you mean “worth less”, as in less effective than they might have been. But I think you are referring only to health care workers who wear N95 masks to protect them selves. Regular consumer-grade masks are not nearly as effective in protecting the wearer, but they are very effective at protecting the rest of society from the wearer, even when not changed.
When they give the wearer a false sense of security.
That’s the fault of the wearer, not the fault of the mask. The mask is still very worthwhile, when properly understood.

This is incorrect to think that masking up CAN stop a pandemic.
I have yet to see any kind of authoritative statement that anything other than an effective vaccine can truly stop this pandemic. Everything I have seen suggests that no amount of preventive measures other than complete and competent isolation can do anything other than slow its spread.

Possibly someone here will give us reliable information that mask wearing or anything other than an effective vaccine will do anything other than slow it down. But so far, I have not seen anyone do that.

And if Fauci is to be believed, probably any vaccine will be short-lived in its effectiveness. If so, only a serious degree of herd immunity will be effective and even that won’t prevent it from getting just about everybody who isn’t so resistant he will exhibit no symptoms at all. Some people might be naturally and entirely immune for all we know.

RidgeRunner . . .
Some people might be naturally and entirely immune for all we know.
That’s exactly right Ridge (as is your whole post).

There MAY even be some T-Cell cross immunity from other corona viruses (i.e. common cold corona variant) although I have not seen enough on that where I am ready to defend THAT position here yet.

But that may change shortly.

Last edited:
I have yet to see any kind of authoritative statement that anything other than an effective vaccine can truly stop this pandemic. Everything I have seen suggests that no amount of preventive measures other than complete and competent isolation can do anything other than slow its spread.
And that itself is enough of a goal to justify the effort. Just “slowing the spread” until a vaccine is available can save hundreds of thousands of lives. Listen to the guidance from public health officials and follow it.
And if Fauci is to be believed, probably any vaccine will be short-lived in its effectiveness.
All that means is that people may need a booster, depending on how long the immunity lasts. That is no reason to stop trying to slow the spread.

Maybe.

I have no objection to people wearing masks. Most people don’t seem to, and half who wear them will take them off if you tell them they can if they wish. But again, if it helps or even if people only think it helps, I don’t have any objection to it, even though it presents something of a communication problem for people who partially rely on lip-reading. My guess is that would include most older people whose hearing is not really bad enough for hearing aids. But one can repeat what one said if need be, so it isn’t the end of the world.

I do have a problem with anything that obstructs the economy. People have to live, and we can’t rely on borrowed money indefinitely. I oppose even closing or unduly obstructing restaurants. For the most part around here, they’re open as usual nearly all the time. Now and then one will turn up a Covid case. They’ll shut down for two weeks, test the staff at the end of it, disinfect the place, and start up again. Haven’t had any repeats that I know of.

As to boosters frequently, that’s asking a lot of people, many of whom are not going to get a vaccination to start with. If this disease is as adaptable as some evidence suggests, there’s a good chance it will simply mutate and bypass the immunity.

I’m not recommending that people get Covid. But I really don’t want to see a depression because everything shuts down, especially if it’s going to end up endemic no matter what.

What are you saying maybe to? That saving hundreds of thousands of lives justifies the efforts to slow the spread??? That is odd.
I have no objection to people wearing masks.
But apparently you have an objection to requiring masks, or even strongly promoting them from a public health standpoint. And that is the real issue.
Most people don’t seem to, and half who wear them will take them off if you tell them they can if they wish.
That is exactly why it cannot be left up to the individual. (What if I said about 10% of pregnant women would choose to have an abortion if you told them they could? Would you just say “I have no objection to their carrying their baby to term if they want to” ? I think you would like to mandate that they give childbirth a try instead.)
I do have a problem with anything that obstructs the economy.
It is a matter of degree, isn’t it? Do you have a problem with something like mandatory masks in public that only obstructs the economy a tiny bit?
I oppose even closing or unduly obstructing restaurants.
Of course the details of what you mean by “unduly” is crucial in understanding this objection.
As to boosters frequently, that’s asking a lot of people, many of whom are not going to get a vaccination to start with.
Well, we certainly wouldn’t want to ask much of people just to save a few hundred thousand lives, would we?
If this disease is as adaptable as some evidence suggests, there’s a good chance it will simply mutate and bypass the immunity.
And if the disease is not that adaptable, your policy of surrender to the virus would not make much sense, would it?
I’m not recommending that people get Covid.
Your recommendations all add up to that goal, whether you meant to or not.
But I really don’t want to see a depression because everything shuts down
That’s exactly what will happen if we let this virus run rampant through society. On the other hand, reducing the spread is what allows more business openings.
especially if it’s going to end up endemic no matter what.
If it ends up endemic in its present form, there won’t be an economy to open up.

Last edited:
What are you saying maybe to? That saving hundreds of thousands of lives justifies the efforts to slow the spread??? That is odd.
“Maybe” the efforts to slow the spread will save lives. Maybe not.
But apparently you have an objection to requiring masks, or even strongly promoting them from a public health standpoint. And that is the real issue.
I do not object to people wearing masks or promoting them. I object to requiring them, as it is uncertain whether or to what degree they prevent the spread of the disease. That’s the issue in this thread. If it doesn’t really prevent the disease, it’s just a cult ritual.

Well, we certainly wouldn’t want to ask much of people just to save a few hundred thousand lives, would we?
Where’s your proof that it will?
And if the disease is not that adaptable, your policy of surrender to the virus would not make much sense, would it?
Show us that it’s not capable of what’s said in the article and we’ll examine that.
That’s exactly what will happen if we let this virus run rampant through society. On the other hand, reducing the spread is what allows more business openings.
Evidence?
f it ends up endemic in its present form, there won’t be an economy to open up.
It probably is already.

40.png
LeafByNiggle:
Where’s your proof that it will?
Show us that it’s not capable of what’s said in the article and we’ll examine that.
Unnecessary and unreasonable requirement is not logical.
Evidence?
No country is stupid enough to try it. Even Sweden is not doing that. They still ban public gatherings of more than 50 people. Restaurants are required to implement measures to avoid crowding of people in queues. They are required to provide guests with soap and water for hand washing or hand sanitizer. They are required to inform guests about how they can decrease the risk of spreading infection. These are requirements, not just recommendations.
If it ends up endemic in its present form, there won’t be an economy to open up.
It probably is already.
Evidence?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back