Danish TV Programme Promotes ‘Body Positivity’ by Showing Children Naked Adults

• Thread starter Thread starter Cathoholic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
In some countries and cultures, being naked isn’t regarded as the big deal it is in the USA. Not saying it’s right or wrong, but the US has always been less accepting of nakedness than many places in Europe, which also don’t necessarily see nakedness as sexual in nature.
I guess this is something I’ve never understood about Americans. Nudity in a normal context is just nudity. I didn’t run home to my mommy crying every time I saw a naked guy in a locker room because that’s a context where nudity is expected. Similarly, seeing pictures of nude people in my biology and health classes was just that, education. A program like this, showing average nude bodies in an effort to combat extremely harmful attitudes about human beauty just doesn’t rise to the level of child abuse some people seem to be freaking out about.
I guess you don’t seem to experience what most humans would feel in this case.
Help me out then, why would “most humans” find this creepy?
How confident are you of this?
I’m extremely confident that models like being paid for modelling.
We don’t decide to go forward with things simply because you personally haven’t experienced a negative reaction. Your experience is a data point. A data point isn’t a trend. This is obvious to those with some knowledge of clinical trials or designing empirical studies.
Exactly! Because there’s no evidence that this is harmful you don’t get to claim it’s harming children. You’re free to expose your children to the biological and sexual education you want to expose your children to, and other parents are free to expose their children to the biological and sexual education they want to.
Balto1 on the Danes doing a virtual sicko trenchcoat flashing kid in the park thing (only this is on TV so that somehow makes this OK)
Sexual predators who flash people do so without consent. This program was made with the consent of all involved.
Nudity isn’t unexpected from them. It’s the involvement of children that deeply troubles people. Those involved with safeguarding find it problematic because it’s not too far from letting an offender exposing themselves to children.
Did you know there are naturalist communities in the U.S. where right now, as we speak, nude children and adults are interacting? If adults being nude around children is as bad as you say it is you would do well to focus your energies on closing those communities than getting mad about and educational program from across the Atlantic.

Help me out then, why would “most humans” find this creepy?
Don’t know. Something to do with evolution and our reaction to prevent harm?
I’m extremely confident that models like being paid for modelling.
For modelling. But not for children looking at their genitals.
Exactly! Because there’s no evidence that this is harmful you don’t get to claim it’s harming children. You’re free to expose your children to the biological and sexual education you want to expose your children to, and other parents are free to expose their children to the biological and sexual education they want to.
There’s no evidence it’s not harmful. Clinicians don’t purposely expose people to harm.
Did you know there are naturalist communities in the U.S. where right now, as we speak, nude children and adults are interacting? If adults being nude around children is as bad as you say it is you would do well to focus your energies on closing those communities than getting mad about and educational program from across the Atlantic.
America isn’t my country. Neither is Denmark. Both are sovereign countries and can do what they please. I’ll focus on my own country. I can comment as I please. I hardly need you to tell me to not get “mad”.

Last edited:
Balto1 . . .
Sexual predators who flash people do so without consent. This program was made with the consent of all involved.
No comment necessary.

The US culture was strongly influenced by Protestant movements like Puritanism and Evangelicalism, and there are a lot of things like nudity and alcohol that US culture has historically regarded as dangerous and problematic in contrast to Europe, or at least parts of Europe, having a much more relaxed view. That’s just how it is. I have a US friend who was the child of immigrants and spent a part of his early childhood in a Central European country, and he has talked about how he was aware at a young age there was a significant cultural difference regarding what people wore on the beach and so forth.

What exactly?
Good places to start:

Yeah, these papers don’t do anything to support your position that the TV program is “creepy”. For something you’ve claimed is so obvious you sure seem to be having a difficult time explaining why.

Yeah, these papers don’t do anything to support your position that the TV program is “creepy”. For something you’ve claimed is so obvious you sure seem to be having a difficult time explaining why.
Good place to understand why people are averse to the show from a neurological POV. It’s not my fault you can’t translate the neurological basis to why people get creeped out by children examining naked strangers.

Good place to understand why people are averse to the show from a neurological POV.
Can you write a sentence or two showing how you got from A to B? I’m having trouble making that leap and don’t have a neurology or psychology background so it would be very helpful for me, thanks!

Can you write a sentence or two showing how you got from A to B? I’m having trouble making that leap and don’t have a neurology or psychology background so it would be very helpful for me, thanks!
Humans are built with a natural aversion to risk. Some may not have that response for a variety of matters. People get creeped out because the show isn’t too far from flashing children and a safeguarding issue despite it being an “educational” programme. That’s the risk.
Why use real people with their genitalia out standing at the front when there are plenty of ways of teaching about realistic bodies? Do we need to see a beheading to see beheadings are bad? Or beat a cat to show they can feel pain?

Last edited:
Humans are built with a natural aversion to risk. Some may not have that response for a variety of matters. People get creeped out because the show isn’t too far from flashing children despite it being an “educational” programme. That’s the risk.
Seems pretty confused to me!
Why use real people with their genitalia out standing at the front when there are plenty of ways of teaching about realistic bodies? Do we need to see a beheading to see beheadings are bad? Or beat a cat to show they can feel pain?
This is actually really helpful to understanding the mindset, most people I know (that’s a poor figure of speech to use, it would be more accurate to say no one I know or have ever interacted with) wouldn’t equate a nude adult with a beheading or animal torture.

Last edited:
Seems pretty confused to me!
Well, you did say you don’t have a neurology background.
This is actually really helpful to understanding the mindset, most people I know wouldn’t equate a nude adult with a beheading or animal torture.
It’s helpful to understand analogies are imperfect. But thanks for missing the point.

Last edited:
For your analogy to make sense you’d have to be comparing similar things. People understand beheading is bad because killing someone is bad. People understand beating a cat is bad because torturing animals is bad. People aren’t going to understand that a nude adult is bad because a nude adult in and of itself isn’t bad.

For your analogy to make sense you’d have to be comparing similar things. People understand beheading is bad because killing someone is bad. People understand beating a cat is bad because torturing animals is bad. People aren’t going to understand that a nude adult is bad because a nude adult in and of itself isn’t bad.
The point of the analogy was that you don’t need to have naked strangers at the front with an audience of children!

Last edited:
The point of the analogy was that you don’t need to have naked strangers at the front with an audience of children!
You may not need that to make the body positivity point, but that in and of itself isn’t bad either. Like I said, you don’t have to expose your children to this program. On the other hand, parents who would find value in this program aren’t harming their children by utilizing it.

Last edited:
You may not need that to make the body positivity point, but that in and of itself isn’t bad either. Like I said, you don’t have to expose your children to this program. On the other hand, parents who would find value in this program aren’t harming their children bu utilizing it.
You haven’t proved it can’t harm. I asked you to prove it can’t harm twice.

Last edited:
Do you have locker rooms (changing rooms, dressing rooms, etc.) in your country?

Last edited:
Do you have locker rooms (changing rooms, dressing rooms, etc.) in your country?
Changing rooms and dressing rooms tend to be for individuals with locked doors in my country.
If someone was asking or telling children to look at their naked bodies in a locker room, the cops might be involved. Maybe we take safeguarding more seriously.

Last edited:
I guess it makes sense that nudity would be so disturbing to you. Most people around these parts are used to changing at the gym or pool or being nude in the sauna.

I guess it makes sense that nudity would be so disturbing to you. Most people around these parts are used to changing at the gym or pool or being nude in the sauna.
Nudity isn’t disturbing to me. It’s the potential safeguarding issue that disturbs people.

I never knew defending naked strangers having children examine their bodies was a hill some are willing to die on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back