(continued)
1 Cor 8:
2
If anyone supposes he knows something, he does not yet know as he ought to know.
3
But if one loves God, one is known by him.
OK. So if we suppose we “know” the world was created in 6 24 hour periods, then we really don’t know. I threw in verse 3 to comfort us from the effects of having pondered the significance of verse 2.
If we ponder verse 2, which God has given us in our own language, then it is ludicrous for you, me, or anybody to say that in an ABSOLUTE SENSE, beyond any doubt, beyond pain of all human and spiritual suffering, that we know the world was created in 6 24 hour periods. Verse 2, or any other verse, is but a shadow of the complete meaning, knowable only to God.
So does that mean we cannot say anything with absolute certainty? Not at all, but to convey these things we wish to say in truth, we must at least agree to the same ground rules of understanding, as words are but symbols that we are trained to consciously or unconsciously translate into thoughts. That is, we can never know anything ABSOLUTELY, except perhaps that God is. That is not to say that our words and thoughts are not of value or that they can never be expressed and communicated through words, body language, images, symbols, through empathy, etc.
So our words are only capable of capturing and communicating “absolute truth” to the degree that we humans can comprehend and agree upon them. That’s how words work. Like I alluded to before, words are but symbols that trigger stored thoughts we learned when we learned the language. If we didn’t have this agreement in advance about what any given words mean, and in any particular sequence, we are calling upon the rules of language that we think we have all agreed upon. Obviously that is never quite the case, or there would never be any errors in ideas communicated through words, and that’s not the case as far as we know.
So the real question is not: was the world created in 6 24 hour periods, and if so, can we claim to know that with absolute certainty?
To answer that question in the affirmative would be arrogant, and contrary to the scripture passage I quoted above.
So I’ll propose a workable question that we can actually kick around: was the world created in 6 24 hour periods, and if so, can we claim to know that within our ability to comprehend what 6 24 periods even are?
Or more simply: was the world created in 6 24 hour periods, in the way we conventionally measure time, and if so, can we know that with certainty beyond our ability to apply reasonable doubt?
OK, not much simpler, but I’m an engineer, not a poet.
Thus far I have laid the foundation from which I am willing to offer an initial answer to the question I’m trying to put into words.
My answer, at least for the moment as far as I know, is this: give me the assumptions under which we are communicated, and if I can agree to and abide by those assumptions, then I’ll give you an answer I’d stake my mortal and immortal life on, given conventional understanding of the language and within the imaginary confines of those assumptions.
So I hope I have demonstrated that it is complicated at best, and impossible according to scripture, to claim that with absolute certainty, the world was created in 6 24 hour periods. That is so ludicrous it should not even be allowed into the discussion.
So, in an absolute sense, the only honest answer even available to us, is “we don’t know” and in fact, “we can’t know.”
Now, if you claim to be an absolutist, I invite you to show me how you can transcend the logical limitation that clearly must be incorporated into my ideas that in my prideful way of thinking represent open-minded thinking. If you can’t, then you’re no more of an absolutist than I am, and I make know claim whatsoever to know anything absolutely. If you do think you can, you are again at odds with Scripture.
I’m reminded of a joke about an engineer and a farmer. (Can you tell I am an engineer?)
A farmer is driving a pickup truck with an engineer as a passenger. The farmer is getting increasingly frustrated trying to get the engineer to make any statement without explanation of qualifier. When he was just about to burst, they drove by a field where cattle were grazing.
The farmer pointed at one of the cows, and asked the engineer, “there! What I’m pointing at! Can you even say to me, that is a cow?”
The engineer replied, “well, it does look like a cow … from this side.”
******Finally…
(continued)