Deal Struck!

  • Thread starter Thread starter gilliam
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gilliam

Guest
US Senate moderates reach deal on judges -lawmaker
**Reuters **
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A group of US Senate moderates struck a deal on Monday intended to avert a showdown over President Bush’s stalled judicial nominees, a member of the bipartisan group of negotiators said. “We’ve got a deal,” Nebraska Democratic Sen. …
 
gilliam said:
US Senate moderates reach deal on judges -lawmaker
**Reuters **
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A group of US Senate moderates struck a deal on Monday intended to avert a showdown over President Bush’s stalled judicial nominees, a member of the bipartisan group of negotiators said. “We’ve got a deal,” Nebraska Democratic Sen. …

Did you see the news conf.? I’m not sure they even know what the deal is :rolleyes:
I do not trust it.
 
Harry Reid of course got in yet another slam on Judge Saad. Geez what a total lack of class. The Senate looked like a bunch of brawlers in a schoolyard.

Lisa N
 
Lisa N:
Harry Reid of course got in yet another slam on Judge Saad. Geez what a total lack of class. The Senate looked like a bunch of brawlers in a schoolyard.

Lisa N
hey Lisa,

:hmmm: Would you consider running for office? I’d vote for you :cool:
 
If Democrats don’t back out, the three judges the pro-choice “living constitution” side despise most will be confirmed. Janice Brown is more of an orginalist than Scalia or Thomas.

Owen and Pryor will never compromise on life.

Democratic Underground is NOT HAPPY.

Saad and Myers are tossed overboard. They may not have won a majority vote anyways.

The can was kicked down the road on everyone else.

Speech by California Supreme Court Associate Justice Janice Rogers Brown:

A Whiter Shade of Pale

One slogan of the pro-choice extreme left has been “No more Thomases!”

The fiction must be kept, they knew, that African Africans are all liberals, all pro-abortion and pro-gay agenda.

Justice Brown just made than slogan obsolete.
 
Pretty nice deal for the Republicans. It basically says that the normal mode of opperations will be an up and down vote and only in very rare circumstances will they insist on a super-majority vote.

Before the Dems can use the super-majority clause they will first have to convince the decenting Republicans that it is appropriate otherwise the Republicans and impose the rule they were planning on imposing tomorrow. And require a regular up or down vote (which is what the constitution says anyway).
 
Which courts are involved is important. Meyers was nominated to the 9th circut–the largest and most liberal in the country (24 or so justices on that bench). He would have made little difference there.

Not getting Saad on the 6th while getting Owen on the 5th is a win.

Pryor gets the 11th (where the population is growing the fast) and Brown gets the most important slot: D.C. circut.

Now what Congress has to do is break the 9th circut in half.
 
40.png
Thekla:
What will happen to “Cat Killer” Frist?
Well, well, well:nope: Will you also call the pro-aborts baby killers or do you only defend cats:mad:
 
I consider abortion to be a mortal sin and not to be compared with the killing of cats. Quite frankly, I don’t see what calling Frist a cat killer has to do with abortion; there is no moral equivalency.

Calling him “Cat Killer” Frist is simply my acknowledgement of a severe character flaw on his part. After all, according to his own book, he “adopted” cats from a shelter, agreeing to care for them, and instead either killed and dissected them or cut them up while still alive.
 
40.png
Thekla:
I consider abortion to be a mortal sin and not to be compared with the killing of cats. Quite frankly, I don’t see what calling Frist a cat killer has to do with abortion; there is no moral equivalency.

Calling him “Cat Killer” Frist is simply my acknowledgement of a severe character flaw on his part. After all, according to his own book, he “adopted” cats from a shelter, agreeing to care for them, and instead either killed and dissected them or cut them up while still alive.
I do not like the cat situation either,but frankly I am really upset about the fact that a certain political party will do anything to keep pro-life judges out:nope: They are so afraid to “offend” people who feel it is a right to murder babies they will do anyhting to keep it legal:mad: Sorry if I was harsh Thekla:nope: I am frustrated:(
 
Here is what James Dobson had to say (I agree with him and I could not possibly be more done with the republicans):

“This Senate agreement represents a complete bailout and betrayal by a cabal of Republicans and a great victory for united Democrats. Only three of President Bush’s nominees will be given the courtesy of an up-or-down vote, and it’s business as usual for all the rest. The rules that blocked conservative nominees remain in effect, and nothing of significance has changed. Justice Clarence Thomas, Justice Antonin Scalia, and Chief Justice William Rehnquist would never have served on the U. S. Supreme Court if this agreement had been in place during their confirmations. The unconstitutional filibuster survives in the arsenal of Senate liberals.”
releases.usnewswire.com/GetRelease.asp?id=47847
 
gilliam,

I have predicted this for monhts, the repubs are weak cowards.
 
The FULL TEXT ( from HughHewitt.com )

MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING ON JUDICIAL NOMINATIONS

We respect the diligent, conscientious efforts, to date, rendered to the Senate by Majority Leader Frist and Democratic Leader Reid. This memorandum confirms an understanding among the signatories, based upon mutual trust and confidence, related to pending and future judicial nominations in the 109th Congress.

This memorandum is in two parts. Part I relates to the currently pending judicial nominees; Part II relates to subsequent individual nominations to be made by the President and to be acted upon by the Senate’s Judiciary Committee.

We have agreed to the following:

Part I: Commitments on Pending Judicial Nominations

A. Votes for Certain Nominees. We will vote to invoke cloture on the following judicial nominees: Janice Rogers Brown (D.C. Circuit), William Pryor (11th Circuit), and Priscilla Owen (5th Circuit).

B. Status of Other Nominees. Signatories make no commitment to vote for or against cloture on the following judicial nominees: William Myers (9th Circuit) and Henry Saad (6th Circuit).

Part II: Commitments for Future Nominations

A. Future Nominations. Signatories will exercise their responsibilities under the Advice and Consent Clause of the United States Constitution in good faith. Nominees should only be filibustered under extraordinary circumstances, and each signatory must use his or her own discretion and judgment in determining whether such circumstances exist.

B. Rules Changes. In light of the spirit and continuing commitments made in this agreement, we commit to oppose the rules changes in the 109th Congress, which we understand to be any amendment to or interpretation of the Rules of the Senate that would force a vote on a judicial nomination by means other than unanimous consent or Rule XXII.

We believe that, under Article II, Section 2, of the United States Constitution, the word “Advice” speaks to consultation between the Senate and the President with regard to the use of the President’s power to make nominations. We encourage the Executive branch of government to consult with members of the Senate, both Democratic and Republican, prior to submitting a judicial nomination to the Senate for consideration.

Such a return to the early practices of our government may well serve to reduce the rancor that unfortunately accompanies the advice and consent process in the Senate.

We firmly believe this agreement is consistent with the traditions of the United States Senate that we as Senators seek to uphold.
 
40.png
gilliam:
Before the Dems can use the super-majority clause they will first have to convince the decenting Republicans that it is appropriate otherwise the Republicans and impose the rule they were planning on imposing tomorrow. And require a regular up or down vote (which is what the constitution says anyway).
This isn’t the way i understand it. According to several sources I’ve read, it is up to each Democrat senator to decide when to fillibuster.

excerpt from ABC news:
Under the terms, Democrats agreed to allow final confirmation votes for Priscilla Owen, Janice Rogers Brown and William Pryor, named to appeals court seats. There is “no commitment to vote for or against” the filibuster against two other conservatives named to the appeals court, Henry Saad and William Myers. The agreement said future judicial nominees should “only be filibustered under extraordinary circumstances,” with each Democratic senator holding the discretion to decide when those conditions had been met.

Full article from ABC:

This seems like a pretty toothless victory to me. Hopefully the information I’m reading isn’t accurate.
 
40.png
TPJCatholic:
I have predicted this for monhts, the repubs are weak cowards.
Oh just wonderful. Join in with the abortion lobby and try to create a self-fulfilling prophacy.

Some days I don’t know why I do or why I try to encourage Catholics in their faith. Or why I respect my Catholic bretheran at all.

The most pro-abortion, most pro-gay agenda states in the United States of America are those with the largest number of Catholics.

Go down the list: RI, MA, CT, NY, NJ, PA…

Now and then a Catholic politician pops up who actually believes in church teachings.

But rarely.

btw…I grew up in Rosa DeLauro’s district. She is the most the most pro-abortion, pro-gay and anti-family member of the House.

Yeah…I got out because I could not stomach it any longer. . And I’m not a Catholic. My Catholic friends stay and vote for her to this day.

Why?

“Constituent services”

She and her staff are terrific on it. Got a problem? Call Rosa. She’ll fix it. She’ll get you a job. She’ll fix medicare problems you may have. She’ll pander to you.

After all, we all grew up on Worchester Street and we stick together.

Just ignore her votes on partial birth abortion, on supporting communists who murdered millions of Christians, on…grrrrr…
 
40.png
mikev:
This isn’t the way i understand it. According to several sources I’ve read, it is up to each Democrat senator to decide when to fillibuster…
All depends on if they are Senators of their word, (read the agreement).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top