Desolate and alone

  • Thread starter Thread starter chipeto
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for responding. I see your point about scandal. Let me ask you, haven’t I taken ‘immediate steps to rectify this situation with a plan’? I’ve done lots of planning. I have set a timeline and spelled out, in detail, what needs to happen. I am working to accelerate this timeline. Argh.

No, I haven’t. In truth, I’ve only attended a few masses so far, and I’m not yet Catholic, so I’ve wondered if I really have any standing to ask to talk to a priest.
OK so you are doing what you can but what you need now is spiritual direction as well as the counseling you already are getting from someone that can see you in person. Of course you have standing to speak to a priest. You have a desire to enter the Catholic Church. You are making moral decisions. You are trying to clean up your life. All you need to do is call the office and let them know you need one hour scheduled with Father on a pastoral matter of some delicacy. It is for no one but you and the priest. Feel free to share any concerns including the one you just shared about whether or not you had standing to see him and I am sure you will be surprised. God bless. It is tough to change your life and change does not happen overnight but we have to make sure that we do let the latter of that statement become our excuse either.
 
Well, I gave her the letter. She was out very late, and came in at nearly three in the morning. I left it out for her.

She knocked on my door a few minutes ago and demanded to talk to me. She was positively livid. She denied up and down that there is anything going on with this man. She said that the only way that I could possibly know anything is if I majorly betrayed her and invaded her privacy. She demanded many times to know what evidence I had, which I refused to discuss. I felt tongue-tied.

She hotly suggested that I am only upset because she isn’t with me, and that I was hoping she would be after her husband left.

She is outraged. This is one of the worst days of my life. God help me.
 
The thing is, we have been getting along so well lately. That is probably over forever.
 
Now my heart aches to tell her the truth, and confess that I have invaded her privacy, though she will hate me all the more for saying it.
 
I think it’s for the best this way. If she were to be pleasant, you might postpone action forever. You really need to keep moving toward emancipation from this woman and her children. It is a twisted situation that is doing no one any good, and harming you a lot. But you can still make it out. If the lease is in her name, then she is responsible, so you can simply leave!
 
Now my heart aches to tell her the truth, and confess that I have invaded her privacy, though she will hate me all the more for saying it.
No, do not do this. Confess it when you can, talk to a priest about it. It’s not necessary to confess your sin this way. She cannot appreciate your honesty.
 
I think it’s for the best this way. If she were to be pleasant, you might postpone action forever. You really need to keep moving toward emancipation from this woman and her children. It is a twisted situation that is doing no one any good, and harming you a lot. But you can still make it out. If the lease is in her name, then she is responsible, so you can simply leave!
The lease is in my name, hers, and her husbands.

Oh, but it hurts so much! I cannot stand an atmosphere of hostility, it wounds me terribly, and I myself have never been able to hold a grudge. When I think that even yesterday we were having such friendly and lighthearted conversation, but for the foreseeable future anything I say to her will be responded to with venom.

She is so angry that she is making threats. She said something about “you’re about to lose a lot more”, I think she is talking about the children, and not allowing me to see them. She knows how much I love them!

Please say a quick prayer for me, Juliane!
 
No, do not do this. Confess it when you can, talk to a priest about it. It’s not necessary to confess your sin this way. She cannot appreciate your honesty.
No, she won’t, in fact she will find a way to retaliate, and I know that she strongly, strongly suspects what I have done. I must talk to a priest. I long for the sacrament of penance, but can I have a proper confession before I’m received into the church? That won’t be until next year, which seems an eternity.
 
If I were you I would start looking for the subclauses of how to break that lease - chances are she already has a back up plan of what to do if you leave.
 
I left my room for the first time since our encounter. She is asleep on the couch. There is a notebook on the counter on which she has written information about a few housing assistance offices; obviously she has called them this morning.

I have sent her an email. Perhaps it is weak of me, but this atmosphere of anger is unbearable. I did not admit to anything really illicit, but I did acknowledge the milder snooping. I did not say anything untrue. I tried to explain the anxiety and pain that I have been going through, the uncertainly and loneliness in my future, how I have been working so hard to do the right thing, but sometimes I fall and try to cling to what I can.

It will probably backfire. I can’t seem to do anything right. I have been dreaming of a future in which we have separate lives, but are still friends, and where I can be avuncular with the children. Now I am faced with the possibility that we will have separate lives, and she will despise me, and think of me only with contempt, and I will never see the children. It’s crushing.
 
The lease is in my name, hers, and her husbands.

Oh, but it hurts so much! I cannot stand an atmosphere of hostility, it wounds me terribly, and I myself have never been able to hold a grudge. When I think that even yesterday we were having such friendly and lighthearted conversation, but for the foreseeable future anything I say to her will be responded to with venom.

She is so angry that she is making threats. She said something about “you’re about to lose a lot more”, I think she is talking about the children, and not allowing me to see them. She knows how much I love them!

Please say a quick prayer for me, Juliane!
I can do better than a quick prayer. I will go to adoration before Mass tonight, say a rosary, and light a candle for you. I really feel for you, my friend. Don’t lose heart or hope. Pray to the Blessed Mother, she gives comfort in distress.

Yes, do get a copy of your lease and look at the clauses on what will happen if any party breaks the lease. I am not a lawyer, but usually the parties that stay are the ones responsible for the entire amount. It might not be the 100% best ideal solution, but leaving would at least give you the peace that you long for.
 
No, she won’t, in fact she will find a way to retaliate, and I know that she strongly, strongly suspects what I have done. I must talk to a priest. I long for the sacrament of penance, but can I have a proper confession before I’m received into the church? That won’t be until next year, which seems an eternity.
No, you cannot do a formal confession, you are not ready for reception of a sacrament, but you can talk with a priest and tell him all these things. He can guide you in spiritual matters as you move toward the Church.

To me it seems as though you have already put yourself through a very difficult penance, by living this way for so long. You will feel a lot of pain, there is no way around that, but if W truly cared about her children, she would not want to see them hurt by keeping them away from you. That’s what kind of person she is, that she would use them as pawns in order to cause you more pain. Bear that in mind as you go forward.
 
Mark chapter 2 tells us, 21 “No one sews a patch of unshrunk cloth on an old garment. Otherwise, the new piece will pull away from the old, making the tear worse. 22 And no one pours new wine into old wineskins. Otherwise, the wine will burst the skins, and both the wine and the wineskins will be ruined. No, they pour new wine into new wineskins.”

I hope this will be meaningful to you.
 
Chipeto,

I happened upon this thread today and am moved by your story. I will be praying for you as you move forward with your life, and congratulations on beginning RCIA next month! May this be a rich and fruitful time in your life, though I’m sure it will also include the pain of separating from this family.

What an incredibly hard situation to be in, though of course you did it of your own accord. Until you leave this family and live separate lives, you will not have the chance to grow as your own person and discover what God has in store for you. And 40 is NOT old!!! I have you beat by 10 years and if you are old, then I must be. But I don’t feel like I am. 😉

My mother, who is now deceased, was an enabler for one of my brothers. He was a professional student for about 15 years, had a few odd jobs, earned three college degrees, and then dropped out of a graduate program. She sent him money all those years. He ended up moving home with my parents 15 years ago and has no job, and no social life to speak of. He lives with our elderly father who is in the bad spot of not knowing WHAT to do.

My point is, if you go on being an enabler it gets worse and worse as time goes by. It’s harder and harder to extricate yourself. I know my family’s situation is nothing like yours, but the enabling is very similar. GOOD FOR YOU for already taking steps to separate yourself from this family that is not your own, for seeking couseling, talking to W, and giving her a letter which stated your thoughts, even though she became enraged.

I hope you will give us an update sometime on how things are going with you.

I will be praying for you!
 
I wouldn’t admit to invading her privacy in case this led to legal problems for you.
Leave it be. It gains nothng, and will not improve interaction. It is to God that your confessions belong, not to this woman. You have lived as if you owe this woman everything but you do not. She in no way belongs to you. Realizing such things is part of freeing yourself.
She won’t see her own faults in any of this, if you have conveyed her correctly, just as she sees she husband as the bad guy though she is guilty of the same flaws of which she accuses him.

There was nothing wrong with the letter you gave her. There is little doubt that her hostility to you will continue. Easier to blame someone else than to face her own conscience. Her behavior is unlikely to convey any love, because she does not, in any way, love you. This woman does not love and value you. You have simply been useful.

Don’t see this as a whip with which to flagellate yourself. Her attitude and behaviour over the past 14 years, and now, is also a statement about the kind of person she is. Either you allow this to persecute you by continuing to grieve and keeping wounds open, or you can regard it as the knife that sets you free to be who God wants you to be and to live your life not someone else’s.

This woman has been an addiction for you. You cannot imagine she has ever been wholesome for you, any more than drugs or alcohol. Please God you will overcome this addition and begin to live a truly wholesome life.

I’m sorry about the children. Above all for their sake. Hopefully the mother will consider their best interests, in particular by acting with respect to their father and encouraging healthy interactions with their Dad. She owes the children this. Please God the children can recover.

It is good that you continue to move forward bravely. Yes it is amputation, but the limbs that were grafted on to you weren’t yours. Nevertheless you are wounded and you bleed. God grant you strength to continue with the surgery and may God help you to heal.
 
I received her email reply Saturday night at 11:30. It is one very long paragraph, virtually every sentence ending with an exclamation point, breathless with indignation, and peppered with remarkable lies. The points are simple ones: her husband and I are responsible for everything wrong in her life, my problems are my own making and I’ve no right to take that out on her, and whatever she does with her life is none of my business. She says that she will send the little ones to live with their father, she will find a cheap apartment, and she and her oldest daughter (now in college) will get jobs and try to make ends meet, rather than live in this prison that I have created.
Her behavior is unlikely to convey any love, because she does not, in any way, love you. This woman does not love and value you. You have simply been useful.
This is what really sank in, for the first time, as I was reading her email. I see now that there is not, anywhere in her, even an ounce of concern for me. She is unable of responding to the outpouring of my heart, of feeling any empathy or even pity for me. I rush to reiterate that I am not blameless, that I have not always been kind to her.

There was a moment of sorrow. I remembered our history. I remembered us as teenagers when, for some months, we would talk on the phone for hours nearly every day. I remembered when I held her in my arms and she whispered in my ear, I love you. I remembered how I could always make her laugh, even long after the romance had died. I understood that that tender feeling lives now only in my heart and nowhere else, that she has no good feeling for me, and that she never will. And something like a whisper at the back of my mind said, and that’s OK. It will be all right. I felt for the first time that I could live with that. I saw then that even if she left and withheld the children from me, I would grieve for them, but I would survive.

I went out to her immediately after reading her message. She did not want to talk to me, but we talked anyway, for perhaps 20 minutes. I was conciliatory because, as I have stated, I cannot stand hostility. I simply had to do something to change the atmosphere. I did receive confirmation: when I remarked on how we had been quite amiable lately, she responded, without hesitation, that any such interaction with me had been purely in the interest of maintaining a pleasant atmosphere, and was not done out of feeling. So, I give her marks for honesty, as least in this case. We left off without any specific resolution, but with less anger, and she has been cordial to me since. Of course, I realize that this doesn’t mean anything, and that she is simply keeping her options open.

Yesterday was a good day. After Mass, I spent much of the day cleaning, which is the sort of thing I only care to do when in a good mood. Most importantly, I was able to turn off my ears. Instead of laying in bed straining my ears to listen for her movements, I put on a movie (Karol: The Pope, The Man) and fell asleep while it drowned out all sounds from outside my room. It was a great relief to be free of that burden.

I went to counseling again this evening. My counselor was encouraged by what I told him. At the end of the session, he rather obliquely suggested that I was self-directing at this point and probably did not need to continue with the sessions.

Bless you all, and thanks for listening.
 
You’ve been through a lot in a short time and made so much progress that you hadn’t been able to make for 14 years, so it seems God has been with you in all this.
I thank God that you have welcomed His graces through a very difficult time, and that you begin to see a glimmer of hope for your future
 
I am praying for you, Chipeto! I know it is hard but God is with you.
 
A few months back I promised W’s eldest daughter that I would buy her a car. She seems now to have found the car that she wants to buy, and what do you know, it belongs to W’s secret lover, aka just-a-good-friend. The kids know him from church and seem to be fond of him.

He came here tonight, with his two children, to show the daughter the car and take her for a ride. She came to my door and asked if I wanted to come out and look at the car, to which I replied through the door, “No thanks, it’s not necessary.” “Are you sure?” “Yes, there’s no need.”

They came back about fifteen minutes ago, chatted, and he’s just now left our house. I did not leave my room while he was here. I’ve no doubt he’ll be back in future, and probably with increasing frequency.

I’ve been getting better, for sure, but I wish it wasn’t so much, so soon. This will be a trial. He’s offered to teach two of the teenagers how to drive (an offer which I had made). I feel like I’m being replaced, and displaced. I’ll have to bear it with equanimity. The question for me: can I be a gentleman even when it hurts?
 
God grant me the strength to fade gracefully out of the picture, without complaint. God grant me the strength to love enough that I can let another take the place I am accustomed to, without calling attention to myself, my sacrifices, my heartache. God grant me the love that does not demand to be loved in return, or even to be remembered.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top