Thanks so much for the encouragement.
Please stop thinking about this woman, who doesn’t deserve you.
One thing to bear in mind is that you see all of these events through my eyes, so naturally you are sympathetic to me. However, C is a good woman, an extraordinary woman even. She is so gentle, compassionate, and loving, yet also vivacious and strong. She is a great friend to others, and I have learned so much about friendship by being with her. She has problems, sure: she has been greatly hurt, and that has caused her to fear, and that fear has caused her to shut the door on something really beautiful.
Here I go, dwelling on her again!
Something about her brother having to speak to her just strikes me as a bit out of place. Why does he have to speak to her? To convince her of what? That you are great. Yes, we know you are great, but if she doesn’t see that, then she has a problem.
I did have a very slim hope that her mind would change after talking to him, but that was not the case. I talked to him afterward and he encouraged me, like the compassionate priest that he is, but he did not give me any false hopes. He expressed to her his disappointment, because he saw how great we were together, but he can only acknowledge the fears she has about being in another emotionally draining marriage. He suggested that she and I both need more healing of our pasts. I told him that I am praying that God will turn our relationship around. He said that that is not a bad prayer for me to pray right now, but that I needed to trust that God will turn all of this into a higher good, and that God knows and honors the sincerity of my heart. He suggested that C and I remain in contact as friends.
Indeed, she has remained in occasional contact. She sent me an email on Saturday, asking how I am. While I am tempted to gain hope for ‘us’ from the fact that she is contacting me, I don’t. I can hear in the ‘tone’ of her messages that she cares for me, and is sad for me, but she is fundamentally happy and doesn’t need me any more to share in the little sorrows and joys of life, as she used to. She has carried in her heart for several years a specific dream for a ministry, and that is beginning to come to fruition, so it is an exciting time for her.
Have you thought of going out on dates with other women? I know you are hurting, but seeing other women, may help you get over “C”.
Wouldn’t you know it, W suggested the same thing! However, I won’t date just yet, for a couple reasons.
For one thing, I am still living with W, though not for much longer. I want to get my affairs in order, and during that time I hope, with God’s grace, to make progress on my spiritual problems. The biggest of these, which has been made clear to me in the aftermath of this breakup, is that I do not believe that God loves me. Oh, I know it in my mind, I even know the scriptures that tell me that God loves me, but something is broken in me, and my heart cannot quite accept it. I know that this is by far the biggest problem in my life, and it leads to the fear of abandonment that I frequently felt when I was with C. It is because of this that I don’t
feel that I am worthy of being loved by a woman, even though I
know better.
Every morning since the breakup I have woken up tired and immersed in sadness. Last night as I was praying, I told God that I was just so tired, and I asked Him to take everything from me; my hopes, dreams, and fears I surrendered. I have prayed this many times, but something was different last night, and there was a definite peace that came over me. I woke up this morning still with some sadness, but physically refreshed. I know now that it is only in surrender that I can have lasting peace.
This surrender is a continual effort, for which I need grace. I laid my dream of a life with C at God’s feet and said, ‘God, you know what is in my heart. If it be your will, bring us together again, but regardless, I trust in you. Or at least I’m trying to trust in you. Help me in my weakness.’ Surrendering this to God means that I really have to release her to His care, and that I cannot sit around pining for her, which would be making an idol out of her.
Secondly, I need friends, and I need them badly. I don’t really have any, certainly none that are close. Life with C has shown me the immense value of friendships. I would give every penny, every possession I have for the beautiful relationships that she has. And she has shown me that I can reach out to others, that I can be a friend. I had coffee Saturday with a guy I was in RCIA with. I’ve decided that I will be vulnerable with others and not pretend to be fine when I’m not, so I told him what is going on in my life. He was very kind, even though I hardly know him, and he offered to talk with me about it any time I like, even offered to help me move when the time comes! We will get together soon to play golf, and I’m praying that this turns into a solid friendship. And I am trying to be a friend to everyone I meet, which is not easy for me, since I’m not used to opening up! I really need God’s help with this, to be bold and to risk.
I’m trying to praise God in everything. When I think about C’s daughter, it is easy to praise, even through my tears, the One who can make something so beautiful.