Hello ALL,
First of all, let me say that I strongly favour one position over the other. I believe Mary did not experience a physical death at the Assumption.
In other words, I am not saying that I am absolutely right.
Below is a very good link on Mary’s death and bodily Assumption. It takes a balanced approach on both sides. It is by Lawrence P. Everett, C.Ss.R., S.T.D.
This article covers the meaning of the dogma of the Assumption, the Assumptionistic Movement, the Magisterial Teaching and belief of the Fathers of the Church.
catholicculture.org/docs/doc_view.cfm?recnum=469
After further reflection on this issue, I believe it was quite possible for Mary to have experienced momentary physical death; where the Soul separated from her Body and then returned to it. (
an “Out-Of-Body” experience as it can be called). In a technical sense, this is real physical death because the soul separated from the body; but in a practical sense it is not a death because she still lives in the world.
(Lazarus is an example of a type of momentary death, in fact Jesus uses the word asleep which is similar to the word Dormition, See John 11:11
“Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep; but I go, so that I may awaken him out of sleep.”)
In fact, it would be possible for Mary to have had more than one “Out-Of-Body” experience. To explain why is another complex issue, but to make a long story short, Mary would not be afraid of those who kill the body. See Luke 12:4
“I say to you, my friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that have no more that they can do.” Did Mary fight devils using this method? I don’t know. I will flip a coin.
SO, I have softened my position just a little bit and will say it was possible for Mary to have died a physical death and at the same time, be Assumed Body and Soul into heaven alive. (This is option 2. below). Options 2 and 3 below are much more favourable scenarios than Option 1 for reasons I gave in previous posts in this thread.
When we ask if Mary died, we are asking about the mechanics of the Assumption, how did it happen? I list 3 scenarios below. If there is another, let me know.
- Mary died, her soul goes to heaven first, but body stays on earth, her body then reunites with her soul in heaven sometime later.
- Mary died, soul separates from body, soul re-unites with body on earth, (this is momentary death) afterwards, the body and soul goes to heaven alive. (note, in this case of momentary death Mary could have been alive for several years before she was actually assumed body and soul, which is described as in option 3)
- Mary does not die, body and soul goes to heaven