Thank you all for the initial responses!
Let me add more detail now as this may flavor the discussion . . .
God didn’t gift us with children. Fine. I can live with that. My spouse is less accepting of His will. She would like to adopt, but I don’t want to.
So begs the question: despite a lack of direction in the Catechism or scriptures on this matter, can it be argued that I -as a devoted Catholic husband- should acquiesce to my bride’s lifelong desire and enter into the adoption process?
Noteworthy baggage:
I don’t fully understand my lack of paternal drive. My dad was checked out on booze and asleep by 8PM every night. My mom was consumed with a handicapped sibling (who could blame her?). As such, I grew up with little direct parental involvement. I didn’t feel acknowledged, that the miracle of my birth wasn’t fully appreciated. I am an educated, well adjusted adult with a good career now, but I have never envisioned myself as a dad nor am I convinced I’d be a good one.
My fears:
Damned if I do/damned if I don’t. If a adopt and don’t bond with the child, he/she suffers the same fate I did. If I don’t adopt, my spouse may grow to resent me for standing in the way when she still had “time left on the clock” (we’re both in our mid-40s and most adoption agencies won’t let people a whole lot older than us adopt, so it’s now or never).
I feel much trepidation. This has been a long process. We’ve discussed in with secular counselors and the ordained as well. I’m not sure what to do. How do I reconcile a desire to show my wife true, selfless, giving love with my own preference not to 60 years of age when my son or daughter graduates from high school?
Continued discussion is much appreciated.
Speak with your wife…Women are more inclined to children then a lot of men are…Look at my exhusband if he could he wouldn’t have had any kids at all, lol, it’s normal…But if you could just let yourself, with arms wide open invite this child with charity, love, and support for your wife, you might be able to see yourself loving a child whom is not yours as much as you would if he/she was yours…
I know many fathers whom didn’t want to be fathers, when they first hold their adopted children they fall in love immediately and I know a couple whom have been working really hard with open arms and heart to love those children as their own…Not an easy job or task but they are at least trying…
My fiance loves my 3 children, and because I was told I couldn’t have anymore children, he stopped wanting children of his own, and decided to just help me raise the 3 I have…As his own… Hasn’t been an easy situation nor task but he doesn’t give up at all…He’s still trying, loves my kids and treats them as his own…
But again you must be willing with an open mind, heart and arms…Give the child a chance, even if you don’t think you will be a good father…Let you and your wife bond together in parenthood, learn from each other and the child, try to be a better parent than your parent’s were, isn’t that what most of us strive to do anyhow?! Where our parents failed we want to succeed?!
Just don’t give up if you don’t bond with the child…But be supportive and patience with yourself, talk to your wife and let her know if you are willing to give things a try and ask her for patience, and you will try to be patient with her and the new child as well…
Remember a father isn’t just a man whom helps create the baby, a good father is also the one whom raises a child…
you are a good Catholic man, with a great wife, I am sure you two will be great together…If all else fails try counseling, someone whom can emotionally and mentally and physically and economically help you sort things out and prepare you for a new bundle of joy even if the bundle isn’t biologically yours…
I know that in the near future if we would not be able to have children I would like to adopt at least foster children and I know even though my fiance might have not approved he would have given things a chance and been supportive of me…Isn’t that what love is all about?
When you have so much love to give, there are so many out there that need it, why not share it with those children whom don’t have any?