Do I have an obligation to adopt?!

  • Thread starter Thread starter opdsgt
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I worked as a** volunteer** for a CPC dealing mostly with young women who were contemplating abortion. It sounds like you have issueswith your adoption-I am sorry to hear that. in most of the adoptions I was involved with the birth Mother quickly disapeared from the lives of the child they placed for adoption.

When one adopts they are raising “thier"child”.
It was not MY adoption - and again it was not freely done as the situations you are describing it involved the manipulation of a girl who at the time was 9. IMHO to not respect the roles of a brith mother and father that want to be involved AND ARE NOT DANGEROUS TO THE CHILD is to not truly understand the issue or be pro-life.
 
i hate when people say open adoptions are healthier for kids as a general statement…or that they produce emotinally healthier kids. When it comes to babies I can almost see the argument in that. However when it comes to any child removed from a home open adoptions are absolutely dangerous. And the statistics that reflect open/closed adoptions get skewed. Of course an above newborn adoptee who has a forced closed adoption WILL have emotinal problems. Actually, even infants “in the system” will have emotional problems.
Actually there is not enough data to show if open adoptions are healthier or not for kids. We are still learning. It was not too many years ago the “professionals” were telling adoptive parents not to tell their adopted children that they were adopted. We have found out that was not good practice. What it comes down to is as I said earlier, it is not always black and white. What may be good for one child is not always good for another. There are SOOO many factors to consider.

Not every child or even infant is the system will have emotional problems. If society keeps telling them they will and letting them use that as an excuse for life issues than yes they will. There are MANY very well adjusted adults that were children in the system!!! :banghead::banghead::banghead: And if we as Christians or heck even just as a society would do our best to nurture these children when they are in the system and as soon as they are able to get out of it (being if they are 1 or 13) then we would be a society!!!

Sorry for my RANTS today 🤷
 
It was not MY adoption - and again it was not freely done as the situations you are describing it involved the manipulation of a girl who at the time was 9. IMHO to not respect the roles of a brith mother and father that want to be involved AND ARE NOT DANGEROUS TO THE CHILD is to not truly understand the issue or be pro-life.
And these are the paragraphs I base my OPINION on:
2198 This commandment is expressed in positive terms of duties to be fulfilled. It introduces the subsequent commandments which are concerned with particular respect for life, marriage, earthly goods, and speech. It constitutes one of the foundations of the social doctrine of the Church.
2215 Respect for parents (filial piety) derives from gratitude toward those who, by the gift of life, their love and their work, have brought their children into the world and enabled them to grow in stature, wisdom, and grace. "With all your heart honor your father, and do not forget the birth pangs of your mother. Remember that through your parents you were born; what can you give back to them that equals their gift to you?"19
2220 For Christians a special gratitude is due to those from whom they have received the gift of faith, the grace of Baptism, and life in the Church. These may include parents, grandparents, other members of the family, pastors, catechists, and other teachers or friends. "I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and now, I am sure, dwells in you."28
To me, I would say the adoptive parents fit very well into the definition of what is talked about in par. 2220. They give the gift of Faith (at least the good ones out there which is the ones I am addressing on here). I do commend you on what you did in convincing women to choose life over death however, the decision to give up ones child should NEVER be made by anyone but the parent unless the parent is detrimental to the child.
2209 The family must be helped and defended by appropriate social measures. Where families cannot fulfill their responsibilities, other social bodies have the duty of helping them and of supporting the institution of the family. Following the principle of subsidiarity, larger communities should take care not to usurp the family’s prerogatives or interfere in its life.
 
Honestly, I find your response mean spirited and inconsiderate.

Many people have suffered harder lives than I, but that doesn’t change the fact not a scintilla of my childhood experience did anything to encourage a paternal instinct.
OP, I apologize if you found my last comment mean-spirited or inconsiderate. I had posted encouraging words earlier that were ignored. Instead, you seemed to gravitate toward the comments that supported your inclination to reject parenting, and you insisted multiple times that you were going to leave your wife high and dry with all the work if you did adopt. Hence, I concluded that you didn’t want encouragement that you truly are capable of being a good parent (which I believe God would enable you to be), but rather wanted to hear confirmation that you shouldn’t adopt. So I gave that to you.
 
And not every older child is “removed” from a home. We have to keep in that mind. It may be for a time that the child is placed temporarily in the care of someone in the family so that the parent may deal with a medical issue (my dh was terminal for three years before he beat it and it was recalled and did not want his dd to see him suffer through that) or a very young couple that has a child may need to get on their feet financially. There are many cases (sorry no stats but one case is too many) of the family member manipulating that situation.
 
We had 7 between us when we married. As they grew up and left the nest, I felt that longing for a little one. We decided to adopt and got 2 great kids from Guatemala simply because at that time I was intimidated by open adoptions.

After another 5-6 years I got the baby itch again so we decided to foster and were adamant that we would not be adopting at this stage. That was 5 years ago and now we have fostered more than 40 kids and adopted 3. The best intentions tend to go awry no matter what you plan.

I would foster if I were you to see how the parenting gene kicks in, there are plenty of kids needing temporary parents and it can go into permanency when you least expect it to.
You are absoulutely amazing 👍
 
I am 37 and am an adoptee, I never had feelings of abandonment, I have no “empty holes”. And how I was conceived has absolutely no baring at all on who I am. Not for a second would it effect me if my biological father was a rapist. Being a rapist is not a genetic trait -no chance of inheriting that. I would feel sad for my biological mother, as I would for any woman who was violated in such a way.

My mother and father are the people that raised me, that sacrificed for me, that took me to the best hospitals in world and stayed up nights making sure I didn’t die in my sleep because I was a baby with a severe, rare congenital heart defect. My heritage is German and Italian because my mother is Italian and my father is German -the parents that raised me. My parents weren’t perfect but no parents are. But they are my parents.

I am very grateful to the woman that birthed me. I am grateful to her for giving me life and having the courage to give me a two parent, mature, stable family. She saved my life twice, by not aborting me and by not keeping me. A teenage, single mother would not have had the financial resources or experience to deal with the medical problems I have that nobody even knew about until several months after I was born. I would love someday to contact her and let her know I am ok, and that she made the best choice possible for me but she is not my mother. Biologically -yes. But as an adoptee biology has very little meaning to me. Does that sound mean? Its not meant to. Those are my feelings and I have a right to them.

I’m very glad I had a closed adoption, that my sister had a closed adoption and neither one of us had “other mothers” hanging around the fringes of our lives. That our parents could parent us without the reminder that we were “other people’s children.”

My parents are now 78 & 80 and their are no two people on this planet who will ever be my mother and father except for them. And yes I feel very strongly about this.
And please don’t get me wrong, every situation is different - obviously yours was.But, I do truly believe especially with an older child who is not “removed” due to a “dangerous” situation that the parents’ roles need to be respected as well as the adopted parents’.
 
Well said Joandarc2008!!!

I’m not well articulating what I’m tryign to say. I am aware that I am trying to give my three years of adoption education to you all in one single thread. It took meeting HUNDREDS of adoptive/foster/birth families for me to get to where I am.

Whoever said that to diminish the roles of biology is to not understand the issue is SO RIGHT! Society has conditioned us to think certain things about adoption, adopted kids, "birth"parents, and adoptive parents as well!

I cant tell you how many people talk to me as if I am wearing a halo simply because I have an adopted child. Do YOU feel like YOU deserve a halo for loving your child? No? WEll guess what, neither do I!

We get asked all the time if we have our daughter because her mother was a drug addict. Um, WHAT?! Of course not!!! But society and Lifetime Movies show us that “birthmothers” are young, promiscuous drug addicts who will only mess up your child’s life. Well I’m sorry, Lifetime Movie Network, but that stereotype is sensational and disgusting!!!

My daughter’s natural mother can ONLY be a blessing in her life, and until such time as we have reason to believe anyone’s safety is in question, will remain part of her life. People always make the argument “well what if she doesnt want to see her natural mother?”. Well, what if she doesnt? What if she doesnt wnat to go visit Grandma when she’s 15 and has a social life? I’ll still remind her gently of the love Grandma gives her, and the short time we have on earth together, and hope that she makes the right decision. The same goes for her natural mother-- I hope that she’ll make the right, loving decision whent he time comes-- whatever that decision might be!

I do feel strongly that unless a person really strives to educate themselves about adoption, there is a STRONG likelihood they are operating under HUGE misconceptions when discussing the issue. There is so much about adoption that is swept under the rug!
 
OP, I apologize if you found my last comment mean-spirited or inconsiderate. I had posted encouraging words earlier that were ignored. Instead, you seemed to gravitate toward the comments that supported your inclination to reject parenting, and you insisted multiple times that you were going to leave your wife high and dry with all the work if you did adopt. Hence, I concluded that you didn’t want encouragement that you truly are capable of being a good parent (which I believe God would enable you to be), but rather wanted to hear confirmation that you shouldn’t adopt. So I gave that to you.
On the contrary, I thought I was clear I’d not leave my wife to do the heavy lifting; that was suggested by another poster, but not me.

forums.catholic-questions.org/showpost.php?p=6106775&postcount=18

I’m sorry for getting defensive and I accept your apology. It’s just a very emotional issue (for all of us, obviously).

Happy New Year
 
I am part of an adult adoptee group here on Long Island-- out of 40 people in their 20s and 30s, only 2 have had positive experiences. The rest feel the emptiness and sense of longing. It is because I love my daughter that I want to avoid her experiencing that!
Did it not occur to you that most adult adoptees that have positive experiences with adoption would not seek out a support group? I would have absolutely no interest in such a group because for me being adopted is such a tiny part of my life. I actually forgot one time in conversation shortly after my daughter was born when someone asked me where my daughter got a certain personality trait. I said it must have been from my mom, because my mom has the same trait. I forgot they weren’t biologically related. That’s how small me being adopted is in my life. People who feel emptiness and a sense of longing seek out groups for support, people who don’t usually do not. So you are looking at a skewed reference point.

I looked at the book The Girl Who Went Away on Amazon and read over the first chapter because Amazon has it set up so you can read a bit of it. It seems sad. I may have to pick it up some time to get a different perspective. I do know a bit about my adoption and my sister’s. They were private Catholic adoptions. My Godmother worked with the priest that that did these and I spoke to her as an adult. I don’t doubt there was social/family pressure due to the time periods but there wasn’t forging or anything like that.

I do know other adoptees. My childhood playmate was also adopted. She found her biological mother as an adult and was deeply disappointed. I met her bio-mom and they were nothing alike at all. My friend had they values and beliefs of the parents that raised her.

The only adoptees who I know personally whom have struggled are those who were adopted by grandparents and watched their bio-moms slip in and out of their lives whenever they felt like it. One had her bio mother ask her to come live with her at 13. She was excited that her “mom” finally wanted her. Her grandparents let her go. She found out over night why her mother wanted her with her, to baby sit her bio-mom’s two younger children. She was beaten and abused, encouraged by her bio-mom to take drugs and have sex. Those are the only “open” adoptions I know about.

I don’t doubt that you are working hard to do whats best for your daughter. I truly wish she feels loved by all involved in her life.

I know for myself I would not want my adoption being anywhere near the center focus of my life. I would not have wanted my parents to have to share me with anyone. I can’t even imagine what my teen years would have been like with an extra mom in wings. My bio-mom made a great sacrifice, she did what was right and what was best for me. I don’t doubt it was hard but doing the right thing sometimes is. Life is not without pain. My sister died of cancer at 21, my mother became mentally ill due to the stress of it. My heart condition will require me to have a transplant sooner rather than later. My life has not been picture perfect.

But I know God has always had his hand in my life and I am who because of who God made me not because of my genetic heritage. I wish you the best with your family.
 
Again she is not my daughter - she is my step daughter- however, we do have very good relationship. We talk on the phone email and see each other when we can. We live four hours away now so that is harder. My dh was young when he had her and then was terminal. He did the right thing at the time. The grandparents did not go for the adoption until we got engaged. They even told her of the engagement before we had the chance even though we were visiting every other weekend. It was ugly. We have worked past it - although it might not seem like it - I am not angry I am hurt for my husband and his daughter who are losing these of their lives together. As much as I advocate birth parents being involved her living with her birth mother right now would be bad - she has some “personal family issues” that need to be attended to that are not hers. Once those are attended to my dsd has even missed out on living with her two half sisters. The point is while your situation worked for you - there are some situations that the child was literally manipulated away and that is not right.
 
I think adoption experiences are as varied as the people who were adopted.

My husband and his two siblings are all adopted. Oddly, my husband’s brother looks quite a bit like their dad, and my husband’s sister looks an awful lot like their mom (mostly due to my mother-in-law cutting her hair to match and coaching her gestures & expressions to look like her own). My husband neither looks nor acts like the rest of his family, so he grew up with people saying, “Oh, so this one is your adopted child and the other two are your REAL children.”

By the time he was 7, he was interjecting, “I’m a REAL child, too. I’m not a cartoon!”

As a teenager, my husband really suffered from “not fitting in” with his family. He could never get interested in hunting, fishing or auto mechanics like his dad and brother are, and I couldn’t even begin to list all the difference he has with his mother. He began to dwell on the fact that he is adopted and wondered if he “fit” with the biological relatives he didn’t know.

When our son was born, and my husband met his first biological relative ever, it was very powerful for him. He admitted that he had always felt that he grew up looking into the eyes of strangers. Even though he knows his parents love him and he loves them back, and he would never trade his childhood with them for anything, there was still a big question mark.

Still, he did nothing until a serious health scare led doctors to advise him to seek out his medical background. Eventually, he connected with his biological mother, but it caused her so much pain that he quickly bowed out of her life, because the last thing he wanted to do was hurt her. She had been forced to relinquish him for adoption by her parents and then was never allowed to grieve for him or even speak of him again, so 30+ years of bottled emotions came forth with a vengeance. He never did get the medical info.

Meanwhile, his brother and sister have no desire to connect with their biological relatives. So, even in the same family, raised by the same parents, adopted people can respond in different ways.
 
Did it not occur to you that most adult adoptees that have positive experiences with adoption would not seek out a support group?
Very true
I think adoption experiences are as varied as the people who were adopted.
Again Very True!! And not all of them are bad! 👍
 
I looked at the book The Girl Who Went Away on Amazon and read over the first chapter because Amazon has it set up so you can read a bit of it. It seems sad. I may have to pick it up some time to get a different perspective. I do know a bit about my adoption and my sister’s. They were private Catholic adoptions. My Godmother worked with the priest that that did these and I spoke to her as an adult. I don’t doubt there was social/family pressure due to the time periods but there wasn’t forging or anything like that.
Sadly my birth mom could have been taken out of the pages of that book. Sadly her family, very devout Catholic, also worked with a priest and my adoption was a private Catholic adoption as well. My birth mom never spoke to me about it; she would have never admitted it. Her brother was the one that told me. Not because he felt what his parents or the priest or the adoption agency did was wrong (well he does, but he felt at the time none of them knew better). He felt that it ruined his sister in some ways. Her relationship with her mom was never the same. She would have never admitted that it was due to her being forced to place me. She personally told me that she knew she had to, that is what single women in those times did. Doesn’t mean it didn’t affect her. I never met her in person, although I have met my 1/2 brothers, her sons. Even though they didn’t know about me until after she passed and she never told them about me, they do see how parts of their own lives were affected by her having to place me (she was VERY protective of her sons, overly).
I’m not blaming anyone, it is kind of a part of our history that we don’t like to look at and admit that it happened. Kind of like the reformation. Thankfully, it wasn’t like that for your family member, although it was for many during those times and still with some today, maybe in different ways but still the same. The reason why I suggest reading of the book The Girls Who Went Away, is that it clearly paints a picture of some of these birth moms then and even some of now. The stories might be different, the emotions are probably very similar. The people, mostly the women (IMHO) still mourn and are in many ways still stigmatized for their placing a child for adoption. Too many people want to make them faceless and people to be feared by adoptive parents and their adopted children, they shouldn’t be.
 
OP, if you are determined to act like a petulant toddler, if you refuse to man up and be a husband and partner to your wife, if you can’t find the where-with-all to treat a child like a human being** (i.e, with respect, courtesy, and self-sacrificing love, the way all Christians are called to treat all other people)**,.
Not sure I’m reading the same posts here. 🤷
Many people have suffered harder lives than I, but that doesn’t change the fact not a scintilla of my childhood experience did anything to encourage a paternal instinct.
God can take all of our experiences and use them for His good if we discern what His will is and are open to his guidance. I believe that my terrible experiences have made me a more compassionate and allowed me to help others who are hurting. Not saying I do it perfectly. We are all different. My husband’s father was there, but uninvolved. He has not been harmed by it, it just feels kind of “eh” (his words, not mine). He is, btw, a warm loving father.

What I’m seeing here, is that the OP is trying to discern what his moral responsibility it and ask what all the possibilities are:
How would it feel to be an parent, to adopt?
How would that play out, what would the day be like?
What should his role be?
What is his moral obligation, particularly to his wife and the marriage covenant?

Perhaps it would be better for people to blindly move forward without asking such important questions. 🤷 I’m humbled to see someone do such an examination of conscience more often.

We are all beautifully and wonderfully made, whatever form that takes and there are many ways in marriage to be fruitful. My dear friend was adopted by a couple, it was more of a status thing. The mother was cruel and abusive and the father was absent and completely uninvolved. She is one of the kindest, most loving people I know. That the world would be a better place if all prospective parents, especially adoptive parents, did the soul searching that the OP is doing. :clapping:

Heavenly Father,
continue to guide this man and this women
bring them closer together in love, drawn them into your safe arms while they navigate this confusing world.
Allow them to know what Your plan is to bring fruitfullness in their marriage,
whatever form that may take.
May each of them be open to Your Will
and at peace throughout their search for your Truth
in their life together.
May you bless them with riches from heaven;
joy, faith, peace, compassion, contentment, trust in eachother and trust in You.
In Jesus name,
Amen
 
No, but we all have an obligation to help and share with the needy…Only you can decide how you are best able to do this charity
 
Not sure I’m reading the same posts here. 🤷

God can take all of our experiences and use them for His good if we discern what His will is and are open to his guidance. I believe that my terrible experiences have made me a more compassionate and allowed me to help others who are hurting. Not saying I do it perfectly. We are all different. My husband’s father was there, but uninvolved. He has not been harmed by it, it just feels kind of “eh” (his words, not mine). He is, btw, a warm loving father.

What I’m seeing here, is that the OP is trying to discern what his moral responsibility it and ask what all the possibilities are:
How would it feel to be an parent, to adopt?
How would that play out, what would the day be like?
What should his role be?
What is his moral obligation, particularly to his wife and the marriage covenant?

Perhaps it would be better for people to blindly move forward without asking such important questions. 🤷 I’m humbled to see someone do such an examination of conscience more often.

We are all beautifully and wonderfully made, whatever form that takes and there are many ways in marriage to be fruitful. My dear friend was adopted by a couple, it was more of a status thing. The mother was cruel and abusive and the father was absent and completely uninvolved. She is one of the kindest, most loving people I know. That the world would be a better place if all prospective parents, especially adoptive parents, did the soul searching that the OP is doing. :clapping:

Heavenly Father,
continue to guide this man and this women
bring them closer together in love, drawn them into your safe arms while they navigate this confusing world.
Allow them to know what Your plan is to bring fruitfullness in their marriage,
whatever form that may take.
May each of them be open to Your Will
and at peace throughout their search for your Truth
in their life together.
May you bless them with riches from heaven;
joy, faith, peace, compassion, contentment, trust in eachother and trust in You.
In Jesus name,
Amen
👍 Is this the facebook “liike this button”
 
Fidelis Unus, thank you dearly for the encouragement and beautiful prayer.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top