Does abortion save millions from hell?

  • Thread starter Thread starter FiveLinden
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The poster never said it was Church teaching, he said it was his assumption. It is not a belief the Church has condemned. So Catholics a free to belief in limbo.
 
there is still a lot of misunderstanding about the fact that the unborn are people.
Do you think that, on the whole, this is usually a genuine misunderstanding? The concept of ‘personhood’ appears to be a concept which seems to have little or no scientific basis and seems to exist in order to justify killing other human beings.
 
Last edited:
Honestly, I think it probably is not genuine for the majority. The most “intelligent” pro-choicers have moved the debate away from science and into philosophies of personhood, and I think a lot of people have just subscribed to bad philosophies to keep with their thinking. I think that is dishonorable and that people should be genuinely seeking the truth, but I still don’t think that means I hold certainty on how God will judge them.
 
but I still don’t think that means I hold certainty on how God will judge them.
I agree with you, it is not our place to pass judgement or speculate whether a soul is damned. That is for God alone. But I believe we can judge actions as being evil.

And yes, I would think there may well be some people who are misinformed. As to how many of them there are, that isn’t for us to know.
 
Last edited:
And let’s agree there are 100 million abortions each year.

50 million of those humans would have gone to hell. But as a result of the abortions, all go to heaven.
Your point is? Reducing this to a simple game of math? OK taking your math, let’s say there are 100m abortions a year and all those children go to heaven.

Let’s assume that 50 million of the women being aborted go to hell, the other half repent and go to heaven.

So that’s 50 million in hell so far, 50 million in heaven.

But then, you have to factor in the number of doctors, nurses and support staff that run the abortion clinics; the politicians that enable abortion-on-demand, the boyfriends that threatened their girlfriends they’d beat them up if they didn’t have an abortion, the parents that threatened to disown their daughters if they didn’t have an abortion to avoid sullying the family name, etc. etc. etc. and there’s lots of etc.

By now I hope you get the picture. You can’t reduce this to a numbers game. It’s like doctors who prescribed medication to metadata instead of to the patient.

Each and every soul counts, and all are called to repentance, even those who procured or aided in abortion.
 
There is an impact that we cannot see this side of heaven when a country makes abortion legal. There is a darkness that spreads into every corner that the angels can see, that God can see. The light of Christ becomes dimmer. The message of the Gospel is muted. A Christian country loses it’s Christianity. Who besides God can measure such a thing?
 
I’m interesred to know what the aim of this question is. Given that every premise is an assumption, what curiosity does an answer to the conclusion satisfy? Especially after admitting abortion is wrong regardless, what might change by engaging in a thought experiment like this? Have any of the answers given been enlightening?
 
I believe that our human understanding is limited in this regard. I believe God will have some special rules for aborted babies. Maybe God will use His knowledge of what the baby would have done if it had lived. We know that God is just and merciful!
 
The abortion issue is not about heaven and hell its about respect for life.
 
I dont think God sends babies to hell. The Church does not believe in limbo anymore so I think the point is that aborted babies may be saved by God. We dont condemn miscarriages and we believe they are in heaven. So I think the victims of abortion are populating heaven.
 
There are a lot of assumptions going around.

The Church has always taught that Baptism is necessary for savation.

We are all born with original sin.

The normative way to remove original sin is through water Baptism, which makes one a child of God and member of the Church, infusing the soul with sanctifying grace. Baptism of desire and baptism of blood are aso recognized. But we ought not to be presumptuous.

Limbo was a theological theory of the possibility of natural happiness for unbaptized children.

With that theory downgraded or at least not officially recognized, there is nothing to replace it, in effect leaving the question of unbaptized infants “in limbo.”

I would add that it is still permissible to accept the theory of Limbo. But one cannot deny the doctrine of original sin.
 
Last edited:
No, the result wouldn’t be better. And if we “justified” abortion on those grounds, we’d be obliged to accept infanticide and the murder of all under the age of reason for the same reason. In fact, it would also follow that we should kill those leaving the confessional so they don’t get the chance to sin again.

This isn’t a world we would want to live in, nor should it be entertained.
 
@FiveLinden

We must not commit evil in hopes of doing good.

Abortion is a mortal sin. Those who commit abortion put themselves in danger of hell.

Those who willingly cooperate with abortion put themselves in danger of hell.

Those who teach others to commit or support abortions put themselves in danger of hell.
 
Last edited:
The danger is in seeming to downplay the necessity of Baptism.

Unborn children need to be born and baptized, not killed.
 
I get that, I suppose you response was more targeted to the theory proposed in the OP. I agree.
 
Yes, that does not make it right, but I absolutely think it makes sense to say so under the assumption aborted people go to Heaven as opposed to a secondary testing ground that is not biblical.
 
You could, of course, make the same argument for infanticide or murdering every child before the age of reason. And then killing every adult as they emerge from the font or the confessional.

Also, don’t neglect the potential damnation (that might not otherwise have happened) of those who conceive and carry out any of those schemes. (Are they sincerely going to repent if they believe they have done a great good?)

Finally, salvation and damnation don’t work like that, such that you can say 50% of a population would have gone to Hell if they’d lived full lives. Salvation and damnation aren’t things that just randomly happen to you. There is an element of choice involved. Every damnation is deserved. No salvation is deserved, but God pursues every soul ardently and wants us with Him unless we terminally refuse. That’s where this scheme and this whole line of reasoning go wrong — in not trusting God to save everyone that will be saved, and thus imagining that you have to take advantage of some loophole (a horrifically evil one, at that) to get a better outcome than God is going to get.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top