Donald Jr. says covid deaths are "almost nothing"

• Thread starter Thread starter puer.dei
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
2% is almost nothing… but anything to say “orange man bad”

Could he be any more out of touch with reality? And callous to a fault?

I do have a heart. I pray for the deceased of the Coronavirus every night. But on a percentage basis, it is not high and close to nothing. You can still be empathetic and analyze the statistics.

1000 deaths a day equals 7 thousand per week snd 30,000 in a month.

It equals overwhelming of hospital icu’s and of funeral homes and morgues.

And that’s what percentage of the total US population? Less than a tenth of 1%.

How about if COVID kills 1,708 people per day? Would that be “almost nothing?” Would that be nothing to get worked up over?

That number, by the way, is the average number of abortions per day in the US.

I don’t see how it’s empathetic to refer to dead people lost to the coronavirus as ‘nothing’. These were people’s family members, spouses, friends, and so on.

William Blake - ‘no man is an island, each man’s death diminishes me.’ Some food for thought, @Billy76.

Last edited:
I didn’t say their deaths were nothing. I said the percentage was almost nothing. You are conflating death of Creation by God and a lose to all of use against the the overall statistical data. You can separate the two. The same way flu deaths are next to nothing yet you had no problem about going about your daily life. Does that make those who died by flu not valuable creations of God? Of course not. But it is not worth destroying our lives and economy to prevent as many flu deaths as possible. You have to be able to separate the two or we would ban everything.

I am not downplaying the virus. I am saying the death percentage is next to nothing, which it is. And we need policies to reflect that. We originally thought it would be much higher and warranted the extreme lockdowns. But the predictions were off by a factor of 10! We need a more reasonable approach.

I’m not sure why the need to always bring up the flu. This is not comparable to the flu. It is deadlier and more contagious (and of course there’s no vaccine yet).

Last edited:
I am not comparing COVID-19 to the flu. I am comparing the lives lost from the flu to the actual statistics of the flu. The point is you can have empathy for those who die and realizing the death percentages are still low. Do you understand?

Last edited:
Do you understand?
I think the cause of the problem is that you made it clear in your first post that you thought calling attention to 1,000 dead Americans per day was just a critique of Trump.

That’s a lot of dead Americans (it will soon eclipse the number of abortions per day - which you would never, ever, suggest is not a big deal).
2% is almost nothing… but anything to say “orange man bad”

Well you’re wrong there. More people sicken and die from COVID than from the seasonal flu. It’s a fallacious comparison.

I meant it was not an accurate characterization of hi Donald Jr.’s statement and was done so to attack Trump. We need to continue to try and limit deaths but also take other factors into the equation like the economy, isolation, rise in drug use, spousal abuse, and child abuse. Deaths from covid are not even comparable to abortion so let’s not even go there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back