Donald Jr. says covid deaths are "almost nothing"

• Thread starter Thread starter puer.dei
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I still don’t see how Covid deaths could be ‘next to nothing’ when it’s the leading cause of death in the United States this year, displacing heart disease (I think)?

Added: I also just saw in an article from Forbes that while the U.S. has 5 percent of the world’s population, we have had 20 percent of the world’s Covid-related fatalities, so that certainly sounds like something very high and nothing to be proud of.

Last edited:
He is not running for president, so his limited view is no more relevant than any other pampered celebrity.

Botched that and was using Kentucky’s numbers not national ones. Let’s try this again.

9 million total cases in a population of 320 million to date, 220k deaths.

The deaths are 220k of 9 million, so a 2.4% death rate.

So to use your example, in a school of 400 112 students would have Covid. 2.7 would have died.

.07% of the US population has died from Covid. A tragedy for the families of the dead no doubt, and no one saying otherwise. But it is very close to nothing when looking at the big picture.

Last edited:
Not even as evidence that lack of empathy is a congenital Trump trait?

Last edited:
I do not see why it is relevant. It seems to be the same type of last minute low road the GOP is taken with Biden’s son.

I see your point. I was only drawn to comment because the reported comments were so exasperating (to me).

This quote from Ashish K. Jha, physician and dean of the Brown University School of Public Health, caught my eye: ‘I realize I am naive. But I’m still shocked by the casualness by which our political and media leaders and their families dismiss the daily deaths of nearly a thousand Americans.’

Last edited:
How about if COVID kills 1,708 people per day?
But does it, though? Deaths attributed, rightly or wrongly, to Covid are always people with other morbid conditions. A friend of mine had lung cancer and died of it as and when expected. In the hospital he was found positive for Covid, so his death was listed as Covid.

Did Covid really kill him? Possibly it hastened his death by a few days, but nobody knows.
It is deadlier and more contagious
Doesn’t that depend on the particular flu mutation? I understand if the 1918 flu returned, it would be just as deadly now as it was then.

In an interview on Fox News’ “The Ingraham Angle," the president’s son said that medical experts who have been talking about a surge in cases are “truly morons.”

If I ditched my wife and 5 kids to have an affair, I’d be keeping my head low regarding moral issues.

He said it on the Laura Ingrahm show, and it seems in the capacity of campaign surrogate.

If he was talking to his girlfriend or privately that would be different.

I am actually in favor of reducing car use where possible…for various reasons. I’m a big proponent of investing in public / mass transit. I’m lucky that I live right next to a train station that will get me to our downtown / city centre faster than anyone in a car would be able to.
Incompetent / careless / drunk drivers and accidents is a big issue without a doubt.

If you’re not callous about the deaths, I accept that, and apologize for assuming such…but when there are steps that can be taken to reduce the death toll, why not take those steps? Its not the end of the world if you keep your distance from people in public or wear a mask when inside…or God forbid, wash your hands well and frequently.

I would assume Don Jr. is talking about the more extreme lockdowns that are affecting people and communities in ways that are not reasonable and that 2% deaths does not warrant the extreme lockdown. If he meant no masks or spacing should be considered then I disagree with him. But it is clear that many states get to choose without reason, what activities you can and cannot do based on ideology that the current death rates do not support.

Well, deaths have gone down from 3 to 2 percent as we’ve gotten better at treating it, but I wouldn’t call that ‘almost nothing.’ And it certainly doesn’t mean we’ve got it under control as there were more cases this week than at any time since the pandemic began. Rates of infection are rising in just about every state across the country.

Last edited:
Are you sure one size does NOT fit all, given that the virus is now spreading to rural communities in the Midwest and South and overwhelming their hospitals? Perhaps a national mandate regarding wearing masks and social distancing, or even a national lockdown from the beginning would have warded off the steadily increasing number of hospitalizations and deaths throughout most of the states that we are faced with at present.

Last edited:
Even if it would have, the US federal government doesn’t have the legal authority to take such action.

I’ve heard that. Still, do you think that might have been a good idea if it were legal? Now, of course, it is a little late.

No, I don’t think it would have been a good idea. Maybe if we were losing 100k per month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back