Don't Expect a Political Realignment

  • Thread starter Thread starter rlg94086
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, Aimee.
I get so TIRED of the whining premise that it is the Government’s “job” to pay people’s bills. It is NOT.
It’s NICE if the government can help out sometimes, sure,
but our responsibilities are primarily our OWN.

Love,
Jaypeeto3 (aka Jaypeeto4)
 
Yet I vote Republican…
You’ve given a fine reasonable explanation of why you’ve chosen the GOP, but you unfortunately IMO followed it up with a wholly unprovable conclusion about life in the 80s under the Dems.
 
Thanks, Aimee.
I get so TIRED of the whining premise that it is the Government’s “job” to pay people’s bills. It is NOT.
It’s NICE if the government can help out sometimes, sure,
but our responsibilities are primarily our OWN.

Love,
Jaypeeto3 (aka Jaypeeto4)
Thank you for this and your previous post. You are my kind of person. To add to your list of rich Dems like Kerry, how about Kennedy, Pelosi, Feinstein, and that does not count the ones who have gotten rich after they got to D.C., like Sen. Clinton. Most of us work hard for what we have and while we don’t object in any way to helping those less fortunate, welfare should not be first and foremost. Those receiving this aid should be required to do something so that they feel like they have earned it.

I resent the idea that all Republicans are rich. Just another of the long, stale Dem mantra.
 
I have voted Republican for twenty years, but the Democrats are starting to look good to me.

I do not think that, economically speaking, I can continue to support the Republican party.

I only voted for them because of their pro-life stance, but I’m sorry - the abortion mills are going full steam and I watched the President of the United States, the U.S. Congress, the Governor of Florida and the entire citizenry of the United States being told to shut up and watch a sister in Christ starve to death on national tv last year, while some Gestapo-impersonators took children to jail for protesting. And all those Republicans did was mumble that it was a shame and went back to playing golf and yachting.

Please tell us what else they could have done. The courts overruled everything they tried and Jeb Bush tried more than anyone. Consider our courts and tell me we need more Dems in power.

Meanwhile, our take-home pay and our medical benefits and retirement benefits are being eaten away every year. At this rate, my retirement is going to be spent huddled around a fire under a bridge somewhere after some corporation seizes my land to build a hotel.

I can’t believe that you are worse off than before the tax breaks. I do know that medical care is thru the roof and I am open to your suggests as to what to do about that.

I don’t see why I should continue to support some rich windbags just because they pretend to sympathize with me. I’d rather elect someone who honestly doesn’t care, but might get my kids some affordable medical and dental care.

Viva los Estados Unidos.
 
Nancy P. is now backstepping in her bid to Impeach Bush but she has a long list of Dems who will battle her on this. She may wind up caving in.
I just wonder how many of the folks on this forum have checked out the voting record of Ms. Pelosi. She is a Catholic who voted in favor of partial birth abortion among other things. And as far as caving in, she can’t wait.
 
She is very consistent on abortion:
vote-smart.org/issue_rating_category.php?can_id=H0222103&type=category&category=Abortion%20Issues
Abortion Issues
[(Back to top)](The Voter's Self Defense System Issues#Top)
2006 Representative Pelosi supported the interests of the Planned Parenthood 100 percent in 2006.
2006 In 2006 NARAL Pro-Choice America-Endorsements endorsed Representative Pelosi.
2005-2006 Representative Pelosi supported the interests of the National Right to Life Committee 0 percent in 2005-2006.
2005 Representative Pelosi supported the interests of the NARAL Pro-Choice America 100 percent in 2005.
2004 Representative Pelosi supported the interests of the NARAL Pro-Choice America 100 percent in 2004.
2003-2004 Representative Pelosi supported the interests of the National Right to Life Committee 0 percent in 2003-2004.
2003-2004 Representative Pelosi supported the interests of the Democrats for Life of America 0 percent in 2003-2004.
2003 Representative Pelosi supported the interests of the NARAL Pro-Choice America 100 percent in 2003.
2002 Representative Pelosi supported the interests of the Planned Parenthood 100 percent in 2002.
2001-2002 Representative Pelosi supported the interests of the National Right to Life Committee 0 percent in 2001-2002.
2001 Representative Pelosi supported the interests of the Planned Parenthood 100 percent in 2001.
2001 Representative Pelosi supported the interests of the NARAL Pro-Choice America 100 percent in 2001.
2000 Representative Pelosi supported the interests of the NARAL Pro-Choice America 100 percent in 2000.
1999-2000 Representative Pelosi supported the interests of the National Right to Life Committee 0 percent in 1999-2000.
1999 Representative Pelosi supported the interests of the Planned Parenthood 100 percent in 1999.
1995-2004 On the votes that the National Family Planning & Reproductive Health Assocation considered to be the most important in 1995-2004, Representative Pelosi voted their preferred position 100 percent of the time.
1995-2003 Representative Pelosi supported the interests of the Planned Parenthood (House) 100 percent in 1995-2003.
I just wonder how many of the folks on this forum have checked out the voting record of Ms. Pelosi. She is a Catholic who voted in favor of partial birth abortion among other things. And as far as caving in, she can’t wait.
 
Thank you for this and your previous post. You are my kind of person. To add to your list of rich Dems like Kerry, how about Kennedy, Pelosi, Feinstein, and that does not count the ones who have gotten rich after they got to D.C., like Sen. Clinton.
How about Rep. Darrell Issa, R -CA, $140 million; Rep Robin Hayes, R-NC, 60 million; Rep Charles Taylor, R-NC, 56 million; Sen. Lincoln Chafee, R-RI, 40 million; Sen John McCain, R-AZ, 29 million; Rep Rodney Frelinghuysen, R-NJ, 20 million; Rep John Campbell, R-CA, 17 million; Sen Elizabeth Dole, R-NC, 13.5 million; Rep Mike McCaul, R-TX, 13.25 million; Rep Kenny Marchant, R-TX, 13 million; Sen Gordon Smith, R-OR, 13 million, Rep Chris Chocola, R-IN, 12 million, and on and on?

The Republicans have their own share of fat-cat millionaires. No cloth coats among that bunch either.
 
Come on now…you must have voted for former Pres Clinton:rolleyes:
Nope - I supported Buchanan, until I met him. No charisma.

And the strangest ideas - a fence on the border of Mexico? Crazy stuff. I think people called him a racist for that one. How times change…
 
How about Rep. Darrell Issa, R -CA, $140 million; Rep Robin Hayes, R-NC, 60 million; Rep Charles Taylor, R-NC, 56 million; Sen. Lincoln Chafee, R-RI, 40 million; Sen John McCain, R-AZ, 29 million; Rep Rodney Frelinghuysen, R-NJ, 20 million; Rep John Campbell, R-CA, 17 million; Sen Elizabeth Dole, R-NC, 13.5 million; Rep Mike McCaul, R-TX, 13.25 million; Rep Kenny Marchant, R-TX, 13 million; Sen Gordon Smith, R-OR, 13 million, Rep Chris Chocola, R-IN, 12 million, and on and on?

The Republicans have their own share of fat-cat millionaires. No cloth coats among that bunch either.
Never said or implied that there are not wealthy Republicans, just answering the idea that all GOP are wealthy which is far from true.
 
Please tell us what else they could have done. The courts overruled everything they tried and Jeb Bush tried more than anyone. Consider our courts and tell me we need more Dems in power.
If the President of the United States, backed by Congress and the Governor of Florida, cannot provide food and water to one bedridden lady in a hospital, then maybe he should just quit and go home. Previous Presidents have triumphed over enemies more powerful than a single crazed judge. The truth is that he wasn’t serious: he was just pantomiming to the prolifers, as always.
I can’t believe that you are worse off than before the tax breaks. I do know that medical care is thru the roof and I am open to your suggests as to what to do about that.
If big business won’t do it, I am certain that big government will. I would prefer it otherwise, but big business has freed itself from the restrictive confines of patriotism - they don’t even pretend to care anymore. I certainly do not see the Church stepping in - even Catholic schools are exclusively for the rich these days (to send my first-grader to our parish school would cost more than a year at my university!). For the rest of us, it’s big government or go without. I’ve seen go without and it gets ugly fairly quickly. I won’t let my kids suffer that, just to keep things cozy for the country club set.
 
Nope - I supported Buchanan, until I met him. No charisma.

And the strangest ideas - a fence on the border of Mexico? Crazy stuff. I think people called him a racist for that one. How times change…
Well Mr Buchanan isn’t Français for one…If you want charming its the Français:cool:
 
The Dems will aggressively see to broaden and promote Abortion Rights, undo current restrictions on Abortion (the few that there are), seek huge federal funding for abortion, will push to force university medical schools to FORCE those studying to be doctors or surgeons to learn how to perform abortions without any religious exception clause. They tried this with Hillary’s Health Care Reform in the early 90s, that’s one reason Hillary’s plan went down to defeat in flames.
They will try, no doubt. But the Republicans still have the White House.

It seems to me that generally when one party controls more than one branch of the U.S. government, the results aren’t good. Perhaps it will be a good thing for the two parties to have to work with (or against!) each other.

Still, I agree that this is something to worry about. These issues are the main reason I was (on the whole) happy Bush won in 2004, in spite of my huge issues with him. The good thing is that Roberts and Alito are ensconced in the Supreme Court, and together with a Republican White House I think they form a good obstacle to some of the things the Democrats might try.
The Dems will waste no time making up for lost time in aggressively pushing the Homosexual/GLBT agenda, including aggressive support for homosexual marriage, homosexual adoptions, etc, with no exceptions for religious sensibilities.
This is already happening in California (where a liberal Republican is governor).
Same as above, though this is not an issue I care about as much.
The Dems will aggressively seek to pass new “Hate Speech” laws which, like those in Canada, criminalize any criticism of the Homosexual lifestyle, with few if any exceptions for religious institutions.
And Bush can veto them, and/or the Supreme Court can strike them down as unconstitutional–which they obviously are.
The Dems will aggressively seek to pass laws granting full Federal Funding for embryonic stem cell research, despite the fact that this is immoral, and despite the fact that adult stem cells work BETTER in all tests conducted so far.
Same as above–again, this is something that does really bother me.
The Dems (if their rhetoric is to be believed) will pull our troops out of Iraq (where we never should have gone in the first place), allowing the radical Al-Qaeda insurgents and other Islamic fanatics to either take the country into fullscale civil war, or seize power and set up a terrorist state far worse than the Hussein regime.
I’m with you on both points–both your disapproval of the war initially and your fears concerning the result of an immediate pullout. I don’t understand why people assume that if we shouldn’t have gone in we shouldn’t be there now. I’m particularly annoyed with Democrats who supported the war but now want to pull out. It seems to me that the responsible position is the reverse–we shouldn’t have gone in, and those who supported it should take the consequences. But now that Western troops are the only thing preventing a full-scale civil war, we’re obligated to stay as long as necessary.
The Dems will raise taxes through the roof, mostly on corporations, the upper middle class, and the rich.
Just remember: When your company starts paying much higher taxes, they also STOP giving YOU good salary increases.
I don’t understand economics enough to know if you are right here.
Oh, and yes, the Dems will raise the minimum wage (not a bad thing in itself at all).
Agreed.
And some of the Dems will try to impeach Bush.
Well, frankly I think there are much better reasons to impeach him than there ever were to impeach Clinton (and I supported the impeachment of Clinton).

Edwin
 
Getting back to the political relalignment…

Ummm… the Democrats have consistently opposed the Patriot Act (which requires anti-terrorism coordinatiion among government agencies and breaks down the “Gorelick Wall”) and have consistently opposed “wiretaps” on terrorist communications and financial transactions.

So… we COULD combine the experience of the United States prior to the Patriot Act and the experience of Israel.

The combined experience would suggest a weekly terrorist bombing of pizzarias, shopping centers, public transportation buses and trains and terminals. Sniper attacks. Localized. anthrax and nerve gas attacks. Occasional spectacular truck bomb attacks to take down office buildings or to break all the glass in a financial or office district (an IRA tactic).

In Israel, the police and army observed dry runs and practice sessions (including the videotaping of targets), but owing to political correctness were unable to pre-empt or prevent the attacks. The mainstream media declined to print factual information about such events as the occupation of Christian churches and desecration of altars, etc.

Part of the Political Correctness included the banning of private firearms, so people were unable to respond when a terrorist cut loose with a machine gun.

And that’s what we can expect, as just a partial description, of a political realignment.
 
You’ve given a fine reasonable explanation of why you’ve chosen the GOP, but you unfortunately IMO followed it up with a wholly unprovable conclusion about life in the 80s under the Dems.

In a way, you are right, in that I can’t prove anything now, because I don’t have hundreds of videotapes of all the congressional sessions I watched on C-SPAN in the 1980s in which the Democrats (with few exceptions, like the wonderful old Democrat Claude Pepper) opposed every single Presidential initiative to roll back the communist advance in Latin America, and every single effort by the then-President to make our conventional military so superior to that of the Soviets that the Soviets would go flat broke trying to keep up with us (which eventually happened). I remember a much younger John Kerry going down to Managua, Nicaragua and coming back talking about how nice the Sandinistas were and etc. ad nauseum.
And Pat Schroeder going to Nicaragua to help the Sandinistas harvest coffee crops (which they were confiscating from the private farmers). I could go on and on about House Speaker Tip O’Neill telling Americans how he just KNEW things were so much better under the communists because his sister was a Maryknoll nun and she told him that the Sandinistas were nice guys.
It was a revolting scenario, watching Democrat after Democrat, with very few exceptions, stand up at the microphone and rail against the anti-communist Nicaraguan fighters and talk about how horrible we were for trying to unseat an expansionist, Soviet-allied Communist regime. If someone had told me before hand that our own congresspersons would do such Vomitrocious things, I wouldn’t have believed it, but I watched them with my own eyes. That is another reason I so vehemently opposed John Kerry in 2004. I don’t want a jerk like that in the White House.
Bush is no great president by any stretch of the imagination, but in my books, Kerry is a traitor.
 
And that’s what we can expect, as just a partial description, of a political realignment.
It certainly is your impression of what we can expect. Has the Administration yet said that a political alignment will result in weekly terrorist bombings, sniper attacks, machinegunnings in the streets and subways, etc.? I don’t think that even Joseph Farah, the right-wing extremist editor of the World Net Daily, has painted this scenario as what to expect after next week.
 
I** don’t think that even Joseph Farah, the right-wing extremist editor of the World Net Daily, has painted this scenario as what to expect after next week.**

LOL !!
I don’t expect it to happen “after next week” if the Dems retake Congress, for goodness sakes. But if they undermine our antiterrorist laws and practices, as some of them have promised to try to do, the country will be less safe that’s for sure.
Besides, next week is too soon. The Dems won’t be sworn in until January if they win. 🙂
 
You’ve given a fine reasonable explanation of why you’ve chosen the GOP, but you unfortunately IMO followed it up with a wholly unprovable conclusion about life in the 80s under the Dems.

In a way, you are right, in that I can’t prove anything now
Actually, it’s not a matter of “now.” Your statement “the Democrats been running the White House and the Congress in the 1980s, all of Central America and Mexico would be under communist rule by now, we’d have scads of red terrorists from Latin America in our country, the Iron Curtain would still be standing in Europe, as would the Berlin Wall” is wholly unprovable.

I could just as well assert that had the Dems been in charge from 1960 until now, we’d be living in a paradise and some Republican could have replied that if the Republicans were in charge from 1960 until now, even God would want to move to the U.S. for all eternity. Both wholly unprovable, no matter how much we might think that such would have been so.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top