Drinking

  • Thread starter Thread starter YESSENIA1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
You drink to the point where you’re sick? Where your sight, speech and mobility are impaired? That, my friend, is you killing brain cells. And liver cells. And damaging your health, possibly permanently, in other ways as well.

What gives you the right to abuse your God-given brain and body in this way?

The idea that you would think it OK to do so is, IMHO, in itself evidence that you did lose your ability to make sound moral judgements on those occasions when you did so. Someone who chooses to damage brain and body is NOT morally thinking soundly.
As I explained, I do not think that this is ok. And I already confessed this and it hasn’t happened in quite a long time. So I would appreciate it if you didn’t sound so condescending. This was more a hypothetical discussion than anything else, because I had long decided against this type of drinking. I am referring to times past, when I was in college, and hadn’t given much serious thought to the issue. So, again, please respect that fact in continued discussion. Your tone is much too condescending, methinks.
 
You see, I would argue that if you are to the point that you throw up, your ability to reason was impaired. It doesn’t have to mean that you then make a choice to sleep with someone who you wouldn’t normally. Your brain is likely much foggier than normal when like this.
I see your point. Of course, I never drank with the intent to reach a point of illness… it just sort of sneaks up on you if you’re not really careful sometimes :rolleyes:
 
As I explained, I do not think that this is ok. And I already confessed this and it hasn’t happened in quite a long time. So I would appreciate it if you didn’t sound so condescending. This was more a hypothetical discussion than anything else, because I had long decided against this type of drinking. I am referring to times past, when I was in college, and hadn’t given much serious thought to the issue. So, again, please respect that fact in continued discussion. Your tone is much too condescending, methinks.
You asked, therefore you didn’t know. You expressed confusion because of what your priest said. Therefore, again you didn’t know.
 
You asked, therefore you didn’t know. You expressed confusion because of what your priest said. Therefore, again you didn’t know.
Now, I’m sure that what I did was sinful as it disrespected my body as a Temple of the Holy Spirit to allow myself to get sick, but even that is largely unintended.

I expressed certainty of its sinfulness, but made no assumptions about the gravity. Your post did nothing to answer the specific question of gravity, and further acted in what I took to be a tone of condemnation for doing something that, for all intents and purposes, doesn’t matter anymore. It was confessed. Which means that I am really the only one who remembers - and regrets - the occasions. God doesn’t. So why treat me as if I deliberately seek to damage my body (notice present tense)?
 
I see your point. Of course, I never drank with the intent to reach a point of illness… it just sort of sneaks up on you if you’re not really careful sometimes :rolleyes:
Twice have I been way to drunk in my life, once to the point of throwing up. Never again and it was accidental both times. Sometimes, you don’t think you’re that bad and that extra drink puts you over the edge. I do know what you mean about not necessarily making morally bad choices drunk. Although I myself become silly enough to say I’m not thinking clearly :o.
 
Several things wrong here!
1)
about Jesus an that wedding
You can’t use that in generally about drinking
Ask your bishop why - he is paid to teach you
2)
Well you may think it tastes good…to you…maybe too good to some others
Are you all just thinking about yourselves?
Really?
How about thinking others that DO have a problem with drinking

Rom 14:21 It is good not to eat flesh and not to drink wine: nor any thing whereby thy brother is offended or scandalized or made weak.

Rom 13:8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another. For he that loveth his neighbour hath fulfilled the law.
Rom 13:9 For: Thou shalt not commit adultery: Thou shalt not kill: Thou shalt not steal: Thou shalt not bear false witness: Thou shalt not covet. And if there be any other commandment, it is comprised in this word: Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Rom 13:10 The love of our neighbour worketh no evil. Love therefore is the fulfilling of the law.

1Co 13:4 Charity is patient, is kind: charity envieth not, dealeth not perversely, is not puffed up,
1Co 13:5 Is not ambitious, seeketh not her own, is not provoked to anger, thinketh no evil:
1Co 13:6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth with the truth:
1Co 13:7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

Mat 22:37 Jesus said to him: Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with thy whole heart and with thy whole soul and with thy whole mind.
Mat 22:38 This is the greatest and the first commandment.
Mat 22:39 And the second is like to this: Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Mat 22:40 On these two commandments dependeth the whole law and the prophets.

Jas 2:8 If then you fulfil the royal law, according to the scriptures: Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself; you do well.

Gal 5:14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word: Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
 
Several have mentioned the wedding feast at Cana and Paul’s message to Timothy. I think Mark 7:17-23 seems to apply as well:

[bibledrb]Mark 7:17-23[/bibledrb]

The fruit of the vine itself is permitted. However, if one is more inclined to sin or to a near occasion of sin when drinking, one should proceed accordingly.
 
i know alcoholics, weekend alcoholics, heavy drinkers, moderate and light drinkers and non-drinkers all in the same circle of friends, actually multiple similar circles. i’m 55 and don’t have any friends who have divorced. nor do i have friends who fool around. managing alcohol is very important. requires maturity and discipline. a lot of damage is done from 18-24. it’s just another in a series of life’s IQ tests… some handle it better than others. as we wax older on this earth, drinking diminishes naturally because you don’t have the appetite nor the capacity for it.

imbibe with care… or not… “go forth and sin no more”…

Tune In - to the Holy Spirit; Turn On - to Jesus Christ; Drop Out - of the culture of death…
 
Because there’s nothing wrong with it.

Just don’t get drunk, be stupid, or put anyone in danger.
 
First of all I am just going to tell you my experience and tell you what my pastor said.

I am an absolute beer connoisseur. I am a beer snob the way some people are wine snobs. I am also a home brewer and love to make my own. I generally only buy good to very good beer. Typical American beer such as Budweiser, Miller, Bush, and Coors is pretty much considered trash beer throughout the world because of lack of taste and the fact the vast majority of fermentable sugars don’t even come from traditional beer ingredients. They come from flaked corn and rice syrup. That being said they are a pain to brew because there is so little flavor that any error in the fermentation will show up off flavors because there is no dominate flavor to hide in. It is only through marketing that these beers came to capture the beer market. Anyway I have digressed.

As I said I love beer. Although I am disabled now and haven’t been able to make a batch in a long time I always brewed five gallon batches, which is the standard, and to be honest gave more away to friends and family and entered a lot into contests than I kept. I matched my beer to the seasons and all that. For instance I would brew an Irish Ale In Feb. so it would be ready for Saint Patrick’s day, Abby Ales such as Trappest styles (A group of Catholic Monks in Belgium who make beer) to drink for nourishment during Lent fasts, which I do fast more than mandated, which alcohol makes you want food more so it’s like double penance, Kolsh style Ale and Munich Helles lager for Summer, and Brown Ales, Spiced Christmas Ales, and Barley Wine for Fall and Winter and I always had other things around like hard cider or recipes and styles I wanted to try. On average I drank one a day and maybe two to three times a week I would have two bottles.

Every now and again though, sometimes after I was really tense, hot after mowing the lawn, or it was a chilly winter night I would drink until I would get the warm and fuzzes. That nice warm feeling in your belly and maybe you laughed a little louder and jokes that weren’t all that funny, and maybe talked a bit too loudly and had warm feeling for everybody. I decided to ask my pastor about this.

I went into his office one day because I had some questions about the faith being a new convert and asked him what the bible and church considered being drunk. He asked me what I meant. I said, “Well, I think everyone will agree having a beer isn’t being drunk but certainly hugging the Great White Porcelain Thrown and begging God to put you out of your misery is drunk.” I said, “when exactly is drunk?” His answer was, “I drank too much.” I looked at him puzzled. He said, “Bill if you’re looking for an answer like that where is Christian freedom?” I still didn’t get it. He continued, "You’re a smart adult who has several years’ experience with drinking and you’re only going to get more as you get older. “It is questions like this you have to decide for yourself and if by accident you know you past that point know that isn’t a mortal sin because in order for it to be mortal sin you have to have intended to get drunk just like to commit any mortal sin you have to will it to happen and give your full consent”

So to put it to you this way I don’t think you can set any set number on what is reasonable or even drunk. What you may feel is too much for you may not be too much for a brother or sister. For instance if I really wanted to get jolly but not drunk and enjoy some good beer and a lot of it, I would choose a Kolsch style or Munich Helles which is pretty much identical in alcohol content to Budweiser and I could easly drink five to six from say eight o’clock at night to 12:30AM. At that point me and my buddies would be telling jokes, slapping each other on the back, maybe talking a bit too loud and I certainly wouldn’t drive a car, but I certainly haven’t lost control of my ability to choose right from wrong or give into temptations I wouldn’t normally fall for so I don’t think I would be sinning. In the same token two bottles of Barley Wine, which are about 17% alcohol by volume, as I am curled up on the couch in my PJs and bathrobe on a very chilly winter night would be it. Keep in mind though I am over six foot tall and over 300 lbs.

I hope you have read to this part because I want to tell you how alcohol led to my conversion to Catholicism. I became a Christian in 2001 and how it came about was rather odd. I joined the Freemasons when I was about 23 and although I had been raised Baptist I was never a believer in the Christian God, or at least as I know him now, and I lied about this to get in as Masons do not allow atheists to join. Well I met so many Christian men there, many of whom were Catholic and were keeping their membership secret, I saw what a dose of “morality” did to make these men have happy lives that I decided to start going to church and adopt the teachings on morality and also be entertained perhaps. Since I am mostly German, and was at the time a little too proud of that, I started attending the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod. Now the gospel got to me and I became a believer, but if you know anything about the LCMS you know they have kept all the teachings of Luther which Luther’s motto was “Sin boldly but let your grace be stronger.” In other words do exactly what Paul said not to do and continue on in sin so grace can abound even more. Anyway, I was very anti-Catholic from my upbringing and reading all the early Lutheran polemics against the church that I though Catholics believe you worked your way to heaven. To me it was the whore of Babylon from Revelation and the Anti-Christ would be a pope. One night I was sitting reading scripture and I had been sipping a couple of peppermint schnapps on the rocks and this great feeling for love of God came over me. I immediately hit my knees and started telling him how much I loved him and wanted to serve him and do all he wanted me to do. Then God touched my heart. Here I had been actively indulging in pornography and thought everything was alright because I believed “The Gospel”. Lutherans have this weird view that “The Law” and “The Gospel” are two different things and there only relationship is that The Law is to make you feel guilty but The Gospel, which to them is just that Jesus died for your sins to take away your punishment, then rushes in to rescue you from despair. To them believing The Gospel is that you have been forgiven by Grace to do good works is a mingling of Law and Gospel and the two must always be separate as The Law has no effect on the Christian. Anyway, after pouring my heart out to God and then him telling me I had to change my life things changed. Within two months the Lutheran Church I was going to had been shut down and since I had been watching Mother Angelica on EWTN I had come to realize Catholics didn’t believe what I thought they did at all. For instance I thought Mary was the center of Catholic life and doctrine, not Jesus. Of course our Lady is our friend and Mother and I have devotion to her, but it wasn’t what I expected at all. In short if it wasn’t for Freemasons and alcohol I would still be addicted to pornography and on my way to hell. For the life of me I can understand what fundamentalist have against alcohol and truthfully, although I obey the Church’s teaching and resigned, I don’t understand why she still forbids Masonic membership. Now I know in the past Masons did some shady things and there may have even been some occultism to it, but I attest that there certainly isn’t now and if the vast majority of the men I went to lodge with even knew about Freemasonry’s past they would leave and for another club, but that was long, long ago. I don’t understand why we can’t be members now and I hope they change it. I really miss my lodge brothers and most are old and are dying off and I will likely never see them again this side of heaven.

PS: Sorry for the long post. I just found out I more than likely have cancer and to be honest I haven’t slept for a while and am a little bit foggy in the head and truthfully wanted to talk and get my mind of it and I just sort of rambled on, and no I haven’t drank a drop either.
😊
 
“Do you not know that you are the temple of God and the Spirit of God dwells in you? If any one defiles this temple, him shall God destroy. For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are.” (I Corinthians 3:16)
The above verse taken from the Word of God tells you that drinking and smoking is wrong because it defiles the body.
 
“Do you not know that you are the temple of God and the Spirit of God dwells in you? If any one defiles this temple, him shall God destroy. For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are.” (I Corinthians 3:16)
The above verse taken from the Word of God tells you that drinking and smoking is wrong because it defiles the body.
Not exactly. The official Church teaching is drinking to excess, not simply drinking a glass of beer or wine.
 
Twice have I been way to drunk in my life, once to the point of throwing up. Never again and it was accidental both times. Sometimes, you don’t think you’re that bad and that extra drink puts you over the edge. I do know what you mean about not necessarily making morally bad choices drunk. Although I myself become silly enough to say I’m not thinking clearly :o.
I think this is a very good point. Like eating junk food to the point of feeling ill. Not a prudent thing to do but something that happens to be a vice suffered by many people whose mental faculties were otherwise completely intact.

I would imagine that, if anything, smoking cigarettes to be more sinful than drinking to excess. While both harm the body, many things can affect the hows and whys of binge drinking, such as individual tolerance, how much one ate that day, and the mixing of certain drinks.

Now if one deliberately did everything to ensure that they drunk to excess and got ill, that would be a different issue. However as far I know most people do not plan to get wasted so that they throw up and experience killer hangovers the next day.
 
If any catholic considers themselves to be devout they should definitely have a few
 
“Do you not know that you are the temple of God and the Spirit of God dwells in you? If any one defiles this temple, him shall God destroy. For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are.” (I Corinthians 3:16)
The above verse taken from the Word of God tells you that drinking and smoking is wrong because it defiles the body.
How does having a glass of wine defile the body? Did they not drink wine at Passover? Is wine not a part of the Eucharist? Do you maintain that Christ and the apostles never consumed a cup of wine?

You might as well add potato chips and candy bars and soda to your list as well as any other unhealthy food. Heck some people are gluttons and defile their bodies by overeating–do we now all need to stop eating as well?

Peace,
Mark
 
Several things wrong here!
Well you may think it tastes good…to you…maybe too good to some others
Are you all just thinking about yourselves?
Really?
How about thinking others that DO have a problem with drinking

.
Some others have problems with sex, are addicted to sex…am I supposed to stop having sex because of them?
Some are addicted to work…should i stop working?
Some are addicted to food and overeat … should I stop eating?
Some smoke too much…what if i want to smoke one cigaret a day?
A couple of cups of coffee a day? A glass of wine?
If I am not sick (or addicted), what is the problems in enjoying all the good things God created?
Those who have their problems with addiction, are the ones who should refrain from those good pleasures, and not want to drag the whole world with them…
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top