Election Results/Discussion

  • Thread starter Thread starter chicago
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t worry…pretty soon you won’t have Christmas music…you won’t even be able to mention Christmas. You will only be able to celebrate Ramadon or Quaanza.
You joking right? Do you realize that a radio station here in Chicago (93.9 WLIT) is already playing a 24hour schedule of Christmas music? Have been since the day after Halloween. Not out of some desire to make us all hate Bing Crosby by Thanksgiving, but because it makes them $$$. Christmas is the 800lb gorilla in the American retail economy. Nobody with half a brain wants to end Christmas!
 
With all due respect, Bush did not have a rubber stamp in the Congress. That is why nothing got done. The GOP could not agree on what it wanted to do. Border security is going to be an interesting thing to watch. It seems to me that the majority of the people in the country want the borders secure before anything else is done. And I am not sure that granting amnesty for illegal aliens is the way to go. We tried that under Reagan and look what we got. Oh, the next two years are going to be interesting.
Yes, I think Bush actually has a better chance of getting things accomplished now than with a Republican Congress because centrist Democrats will be looking to score politically victories to help them stay in power. I think issues like immigration and social security reform have a chance of moving forward.
 
Great link and update on the various ballot measures–thanks for providing it!

Seems in general same sex marriage initiatives failed overwhelmingly, but restrictions on abortion were not accepted. In terms of specific proposals like the one in SD it might not be all bad news. It could have become an expensive and divisive legal battle for the taxpayers of that state as the proposed law was in direct conflict with Roe and would likely not survived judicial review. It was a poorly drafted proposal and perhaps this will encourage better drafting and a focus on incremental changes (like parental notification provisions) which seem to be more universally embraced by voters.
 
Casey claims to be pro life, although he won’t ban morning after bill. But still he claims to want Roe V Wade overturned. Why not give Casey the benefit of the doubt there when it comes to Roe.

No, he hasn’t talked much about abortion and has been vague, but maybe its becasue he didn’t want to scare pro-choice Democrats…

Maybe he’ll turn out to be his father’s son or at least have Dad on his conscience. It takes some guts to be a pro life democrat…

I honestly think that in someways may Republicans (I’m not talking about Rick) don’t want abortion to go. I also think that abortion won’t go until hearts in this country change… The goal shouldn’t be just making abortion illegal, it should be getting rid of it. (And I am someone who does want it illegal)
I hope so too. I’m very encouraged with the trend of more centrist and socially conservative Democrats winning in this election. Hopefully with socially conservative Democrats like Ben Nelson of Nebraska and Bob Casey working together with socially conservative Republicans, there will be more movement on the pro-life front.
 
No offense, but they already lost…now the Democrats are in charge. You can keep pounding away on the “Republicans are not really pro-life”, “what have they done”, etc. But, now you will expect what from the Democrat-run Congress?

Worse yet, what does a party do when they lose? They move to the center. That means the pro-life candidates will be tossed aside next election, in order to run an “electable” candidate against the Democrat incumbent.
On the other hand, several socially conservative centrist Democrats were elected, so perhaps they will be willing to work with conservative Republicans to pass pro-life legislation. We’ll just have to wait and see.
 
Perhaps. I haven’t seen a real breakdown, so I don’t know if the Republicans that were ousted were pro-life, and I’m not sure “several” is enough or if they will vote their conscience or with their party.

To many “ifs” right now.
On the other hand, several socially conservative centrist Democrats were elected, so perhaps they will be willing to work with conservative Republicans to pass pro-life legislation. We’ll just have to wait and see.
 
Now that several hours have passed since the news this morning, I can think more clearly and less emotionally.
I am really like the “sons of Thunder” that Jesus had to castigate for wanting to call down Fire From Heaven on people who didn’t see things their way.

No, I’m not happy the Democrats won.
But I’m not “angry” at my fellow Americans anymore either, like I was this morning. Hot emotionalism running high.
I think I will pray the Chaplet of the Divine Mercy at least once a week or so for the New Congress, instead of blowing my stack about it.

Jaypeeto3 (aka Jaypeeto4) 🙂
 
originally posted by CatholicMetis
The Republicans…just got the boarders secured
WHAT borders!?
It’s obvious you do not live in the Southwestern US.
 
Don’t worry…pretty soon you won’t have Christmas music…you won’t even be able to mention Christmas. You will only be able to celebrate Ramadon or Quaanza.
That is some what unfair because most black folks don’t even celebrate Kwanza. It is not a religious hoiday and most of us are happy being Christian and celebrating Christmas-alone. When it is celebrated it is about black folks not blaming white people for all of their problems and doing something to better themselves. I thought that that would be something that white people would like and appreciate.

You have some black folks who consider themselves black nationalist and usually anti-Christian who might like to have it recognized more as a separatist holiday but that is about it. On top of that, whites and others would not be asked (except to be polite) or expected to participate, while the principles apply to anyone, the “holiday” itself was designed (colors and all) to be about black-Americans.

I commented because being force to celebrate Ramadan one day might be a real concern. What you are failing to realize is that “fundamentalist” or “radical” Muslims don’t care about race. They care about making all of us Muslim. Kwanza is about race and is unimportant in the grand scheme of things. I am black and could not tell you the “African” names or the english names for the days of Kwanza. I don’t celebrate it either and you’d be hard pressed to find any blacks- Christian, Muslims or otherwise that do. If you do, it is only used as a PC non-religious way to bring the community together.

I apologize for the rant and the thread hi-jack.

Heather
 
Well, I usually don’t watch much tv (three programs per week) however, election day is the super bowl for this political junkie (degree in history and political science, worked for the US Senate, family and friends in politics, outspoken constituent, and unfortunate resident of a corrupt state which is why I posted this:banghead: ). However, just like the fellow Bears fans at this past Sunday’s game, I think my blood pressure, disgust, and disappointment are on the rise.
I wasn’t crazy about Barr-Topinka, but I absolutely loathe Blago. I really hate politics in this state!

Peace,
javelin

P.S. Sorry for being so negative – the good news is that the Dems who won were mostly moderates, even a few pro-lifers, and perhaps they can bring their party back towards the middle. I generally vote Republican because they are generally more socailly conservative. If the Dems find more moral ground that I can agree with, I’m all for it.
 
it looks like the most liberal of the demoncats will be running the show and so all i have to say is…

WE’RE ALL GONNA DIE! HEAD FOR THE HILLS! I WANT MY MOMMY! RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!
 
All of the dems pickups have been conservative democrats. They finally learned htat the bulk of the US is not far left, but how will they mesh with Pelosi and her crew if they are in power?
If they want further campaign money, they’ll get right in line with the ultra-liberal leadership. They know where their bread is buttered. Anyone who voted for a so-called “conservative democrat” voted for a pack of lies.
 
This is all so depressing. I can’t believe Santorum is out - we are going to move to PA in about 2 years. As for MD, I really thought the Governor had it. He had a 60% approval rating, yet lost by 6 points. And Steele lost by 10. And both O’Malley and Cardin made acceptance speeches when they were losing. Democrat funny business? Quite possibly, especially in such a corrupt state.
 
your saying bush was mandated by god? talk about worshiping a false idol 😦
We’re all given missions by God. Doesn’t make us gods, or those who may listen to us worshippers of idols. We don’t all (actually, probably all too few of us) live up to what God has called us to, but nevertheless, we do have missions. Certainly you know that.
 
I am so sad to see how many people on this board are angry with Santorum for his support of Spector. He had very good reason to support Spector. If he hadn’t won, the judiciary committe chair would have gone to a dem.
If Spector had lost, the Republicans still would have controlled the Senate and the next highest ranking Republican on the commitee would have been judiciary committee chair… not a Democrat.
 
I really fear for this country and the pro life movement. With the Senate in the hands of the Democrats Bush will not be able to nominate any pro life Supreme Court justices.
The pro-life movement has traditionally placed too much hope in politics alone and actually thrives best when it’s “supporters” are not in political power… as we then have to find better ways to save babies.
But the problem is, all the front runners for the Republican Presidential nominee are all pro death.
And here we are always told that the Republicans are the “Party of Life”.
 
This is all so depressing. I can’t believe Santorum is out - we are going to move to PA in about 2 years. As for MD, I really thought the Governor had it. He had a 60% approval rating, yet lost by 6 points. And Steele lost by 10. And both O’Malley and Cardin made acceptance speeches when they were losing. Democrat funny business? Quite possibly, especially in such a corrupt state.
I voted by absentee ballot. There were so many out that I hoped that there would be enough to sway the election, but I have not heard anything. Have you?
 
I wasn’t crazy about Barr-Topinka, but I absolutely loathe Blago. I really hate politics in this state!
I’m looking forward to the Pat Quinn governorship after Rod is indicted. Free electrictity for all!
 
If they want further campaign money, they’ll get right in line with the ultra-liberal leadership. They know where their bread is buttered. Anyone who voted for a so-called “conservative democrat” voted for a pack of lies.
That’s not necessarily true… A lot of those conservative democrats were specifically recruited by the party… Including Casey, whom the Pro-death Democratic governor, supported so much, he manovered virtually know opposition to him in the primary (real that is)…

In Illinois, Melissa Bean well she’s pro death but she’s moderate on fiscal issues etc, and doesn’t necessarily vote lock step with her party, and she got huge support…

The democrats are starting to realize that the American people lean right to center, and so I think they are realizing they need conservative democrats, if they want to be a national party…

Part of the problem with the current Republicans is they aren’t that conservative. For example, the spending that they are doing is not conservative) there policies on Iraq, are not conservative policies etc…There is very little old school conservativeness about this Republican party (except for social conservative, and what have they done much with that.)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top