While we are all familiar with the role played by the United States and the European colonial powers like Britain, France, Holland, Portugal and Spain, there is very little discussion of the role Africans themselves played. And that role, it turns out, was a considerable one, especially for the slave-trading kingdoms of western and central Africa. These included the Akan of the kingdom of Asante in what is now Ghana, the Fon of Dahomey (now Benin), the Mbundu of Ndongo in modern Angola and the Kongo of today’s Congo, among several others.
Advocates of reparations for the descendants of those slaves generally ignore this untidy problem of the significant role that Africans played in the trade, choosing to believe the romanticized version that our ancestors were all kidnapped unawares by evil white men, like Kunta Kinte was in “Roots.” The truth, however, is much more complex: slavery was a business, highly organized and lucrative for European buyers and African sellers alike.
Actually, there is a much more logical and immediate claim as to reparations for what happened after slavery was outlawed in the US. But it is not really a big campaign.It matters because people want some money by way of reparations.
No, you may not owe anyone for wrongs not done by you; but don’t fool yourself. Your level of prosperity may have been increased due to someone else being treated unfairly. Keep that in mind when you are trying to figure out what is ‘fair’.That being said, there are many of us whose ancesters fought and died to end slavery and then again to ensure equal rights to those who had been so badly treated. My family was one of those. Though my family were poor they fed and sheltered those escaping from captivity. No one owes me for the losses my family took doing what was right before I was born and I do not owe anyone else for wrongs recieved to their ancesters by other people.
You know Beau you sound like the majority of my friends who I hang which, of course we’re all retired/active military when this comes up in the news, I say I think there should be some type of compensation you know like even maybe a tax write off because your families have been screwed over; I don’t know, I think something should be done?No, you may not owe anyone for wrongs not done by you; but don’t fool yourself. Your level of prosperity may have been increased due to someone else being treated unfairly. Keep that in mind when you are trying to figure out what is ‘fair’.
You should also consider that I am a direct descendant of veterans of the Civil War and World War II. And I am not in favor of reparations.
Folks should just not fool themselves.
Wow. Beau and I agree on a subject. Way cool.The funniest thing is that the lawyer who presented the suit for reparations in Chicago is of Haitian descent, so he would not be eligible for any payment, his forebears never having been slaves in the US. Another friend of mine is a lawyer of Nigerian descent and I told her she should pay me reparations for selling folks into slavery!
my prosperity??? I honestly don’t think I am fooling myself at all! ( sorry choking I am laughing so hard!) I’m sorry, i live on less than 1,000 dollars a month with five kids, unable to find a job, scraping and canning not to mention the jobs cleaning up dog poo in others back yards just to see ends meet I think I probably know more about what it is to go hungry so your kids can eat at the end of the month than you but then again a few of my nieghbors are doing the same so maby not. I owe no one anything! Not my prosperity nor my failures for gaining that prosperity.No, you may not owe anyone for wrongs not done by you; but don’t fool yourself. Your level of prosperity may have been increased due to someone else being treated unfairly. Keep that in mind when you are trying to figure out what is ‘fair’.
You should also consider that I am a direct descendant of veterans of the Civil War and World War II. And I am not in favor of reparations.
Folks should just not fool themselves.
so what happens to those of us who are shall we say Multiracial? I am native American should I be placed in Vermont or Washington state? I am also Basgue, so should I be taken back to France and before that my ancestors escaped from the Progroms in Germany so should I not be taken back there? How about the Irish side of my family, why not transport me back to Ireland, not mentioning the part of who I am who is part African or a black Irishman, should I not be deported back to Africa or Ireland?Maybe we could just return the descendants of all the slaves back to their ancestral homes.