EPA to ease back emissions standards

  • Thread starter Thread starter ATraveller
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Monte you forgot to tell me where the Church teaches that when we spend our money our only consideration is our own selfish desires.
Got it!

So if I pay my electric bill, then I am being selfish.

[You are neither St Augustine nor St. Thomas Aquinas.]
 
Got it!

So if I pay my electric bill, then I am being selfish.
Did I say that? Once again, where does the Church teach that when spending our money we need only be concerned about our own selfish desires?
 
Start over … try again.
What don’t you understand about my question? It is pretty straightforward. Are all of our spending choices, morally neutral? Do I have a moral obligation to consider anyone except myself when I spend my money?
 
What don’t you understand about my question? It is pretty straightforward. Are all of our spending choices, morally neutral? Do I have a moral obligation to consider anyone except myself when I spend my money?
Take a deep breath.

If I am unable to understand your question, then maybe “the asker” needs to review it.
 
No, he was responding to something I never said.
It was your question that didn’t reflect anything someone here has said.
Your question was a strawman, which is why it wasn’t understood nor answered
 
Last edited:
Right, and you twisted that very normal puchase decision to somehow represent being completely selfish, your strawman in full force.

Usually buying a car is just buying a car, it doesn’t preclude also donating time and money to charities.
 
Last edited:
I live in New York City, where one drives as little as humanly possible.
Here in the northern Texas Panhandle, a car is a must. We’re nothing but plains, so we’re spread out all over the place. In the Amarillo area, public transit is an absolute joke, where it even exists.
 
Here in the northern Texas Panhandle, a car is a must. We’re nothing but plains, so we’re spread out all over the place. In the Amarillo area, public transit is an absolute joke, where it even exists.
I know, transportation needs are handled very differently in different places. I’d be just as happy not to have a car, really. My father, also born and raised in NYC, never had a drivers’ license in his life, and that wasn’t a problem.

My wife, who grew up in Newfoundland, Canada, where life would be impossible without a car (and without a pickup truck and a boat, for that matter), can’t imagine life without a car, so we have one.
 
Right, and you twisted that very normal puchase decision to somehow represent being completely selfish, your strawman in full force.

Usually buying a car is just buying a car, it doesn’t preclude also donating time and money to charities.
Actually, I did not. Actually, buying a car does preclude giving those funds away. If I have $50k, I could buy a Lexus. I could also drill wells for water in Africa. If I buy a cheaper car, I can drill more well. If I walk. I can drill even more wells. All choices along that budget line are not equally virtuous.
 
Actually, I did not. Actually, buying a car does preclude giving those funds away. If I have $50k, I could buy a Lexus. I could also drill wells for water in Africa. If I buy a cheaper car, I can drill more well. If I walk. I can drill even more wells. All choices along that budget line are not equally virtuous.
Had a job interview … guy … the employer … shows up in a Rolls-Royce.

[met at a restaurant]

[why??]

Got the job.

Decided to not show up.

They called me.

I had no answer. Nothing printable.

Years later, ran into someone who had worked there. Wow, did he have some negative stories.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top