M
MonteRCMS
Guest
Why??I like Planned Parenthood and have donated to them in the past.
[10 characters]
Why??I like Planned Parenthood and have donated to them in the past.
Wow, your logic is really bad. Most people who can buy a lexus also have the funds to help build some wells in Africa. It’s not an either or decision, you are being very assumptive and judgemental.Actually, I did not. Actually, buying a car does preclude giving those funds away. If I have $50k, I could buy a Lexus. I could also drill wells for water in Africa. If I buy a cheaper car, I can drill more well. If I walk. I can drill even more wells. All choices along that budget line are not equally virtuous.
Not much of a charitable response I can give to that. Know that I’ll be donating to an organization that actually cares about babies in response next paycheck.I like Planned Parenthood and have donated to them in the past.
You and me both. They’re an expense I wish I didn’t have to consider.I’d be just as happy not to have a car, really.
They butcher babies. They butcher babies. They butcher babies.So I take s pragmatic view on this issue.
You are clearly making assumptions and judging people. You assume they bought the most expensive car they could afford.If I have $50k to spend, I can spend it either on cars or wells, or some combination of both. If I have a $100k to spend, I can spend it on cars or wells or both. All of us have a finite amount of resources. That money which we spend on ourselves is money that we cannot spend on others. There is nothing illogical about that.
So you are racist, Africa does have the resources to dig wells, and it wouldn’t take them long if they decided it was important.I am glad you are offended. Deal with it. The gospel tells us that we will be judged on how we treat the least of us. In the area of economic resources, many people in Africa are among the least of us. Now, we can say that digging wells is their problem. Let them important the tools, let them import the supplies and import the skilled labor. Of course, they can do it, but it would take a long time. Part of the problem is that in some countries, girls and women are tasked with the job of getting water and firewood for the household. This is a job that can take hours. Girls growing up in households with access to water are more likely to attend school. Getting girls to attend school is a good thing. If I have the ability to help someone why shouldn’t I? How is my buying a new Lexus more virtuous than my helping someone who is in need.
If this makes me a racist, then I am proud of it.
Actually I am not making any assumptions. I am stating nothing but facts. Here they are spelled out so that you can understand them:You are clearly making assumptions and judging people. You assume they bought the most expensive car they could afford.
If it is wrong to help Africans, then why does the Catholic Church send missionaries to Africa. Why do priests from Africa come to my parish to preach and we take up a collection to help them? If helping others is morally wrong, then why does the Church do it?So you are racist, Africa does have the resources to dig wells, and it wouldn’t take them long if they decided it was important.
You would have made a good colonial era missionary.
Actually, if they drove cheaper automobiles and lived in smaller homes, they would have more to give to the poor. That is just a basic fact. I never said someone should drive the cheapest vehicle possible and give all the surplus to the poor. I just said that there is a basic tradeoff. Anything I spend on me is money that I cannot spend on the poor.Well Bezos and Gates drive the best autos, have private jets, and still find cash to give to charities they care about. I’d say the same goes for most Americans. You assume everyone should drive the cheapest vehicle and give all their surplus to the poor, something not expected by the Church.
Of course, St Francis did the latter.Tithing is a percent of your gross, not give everything above subsistence living.
You are free to have whatever opinion you like. I am free not to care about your opinion.I said you were expressing racist ideations, not that you were morally wrong. Many kindhearted people have racist beliefs.
I agree that governance is important. On the other hand, just because people have stupid governments (after all, we have a prime example in the US) does not exempt us from our obligation to the poor. If I see a beggar on the streets of Africa, I should help him, not tell him to get a better political system. That is not going to feed him in the short run.Perhaps these priests that canvas your parish should be asked what they are doing to improve local governance? Africa has ample resources to take care of the the basic needs of their people
Actually, never suggested any such thing.With your logic Children’s services would always leave the kids with parents that are clearly shown to be incompetent Your approach is to keep dropping off food, clothing, and money for the kids knowing full well much of it is actually taken by the parents to support their bad habits.
My analogy fits well with your reasoning. You keep donating money for the kids without addressing the elephant in the room - bad parents that effectively steal what you donate.Actually, never suggested any such thing.
Here is what I said:My analogy fits well with your reasoning.
Actually, if you bothered to read what I said, I actually said governance is important. Now, I never said we owed a blank check to anyone. There is nothing in Church social teaching that suggests that because there is bad governance that we are exempt from our obligation to the poor. A beggar on the street of Nairobi is going to be hungry regardless of whether the government is corrupt or efficient. While we must be prudent in our assistance, we still have an obligation to the least among us. Whether they are in Africa, London or Washington.You keep donating money for the kids without addressing the elephant in the room - bad parents that effectively steal what you donate.
Valid question.Wow, your logic is really bad. Most people who can buy a lexus also have the funds to help build some wells in Africa. It’s not an either or decision, you are being very assumptive and judgemental.
Incidentally, why can’t people in Africa figure out how to dig their own wells?
I find it highly racist that you imagine you must be the one to come in and save them by drilling wells for them. And if you the Western Whitey doesn’t step in and do it, they’ll never get potable water…
Do you really think Africans are that incompetent?
you give lip service to it, but that’s all. Neither you nor your ‘water well’ charity seems to be working to improve governance, you are effectively aiding in the stealing from the people.Actually, if you bothered to read what I said, I actually said governance is important.
There are two reasons why places like Africa are poor.you give lip service to it, but that’s all. Neither you nor your ‘water well’ charity seems to be working to improve governance, you are effectively aiding in the stealing from the people.
Ok. Let’s see the data. Provide the data on Africa’s human capital.Africa has both human capital and entrepreneurship.
I am not sure what your point is? I have never disputed that governance is not important. Don’t bring up governance again until you show me where lack of good governance exempts us from our Christian duty to help the least of us.It all flows back to governance issues, the white elephant in the room.