Y
YourNameHere
Guest
I speak of politicians, in general, including the president.
Politicians spin the news. And they all criticize the media.
Politicians spin the news. And they all criticize the media.
No, no, no. People in the media are very aware of the position they have in influencing public perceptions about social issues. They are more and more proactive about that, not less.For the media, the story is what others do and say. They have a story to report one way or the other. The media is in the business of selling advertising. So, they have no agenda. The story is their agenda.
If a dog bites a man or a man bites a dog, it is a story. Why should the media care?
As individuals, I am sure that reporters align themselves to one side of the political persuasion or the other. But it terms of their job, the news is their agenda.
I think the best examples of journalism did used to try to practice a sort of “prime directive,” in which they tried to report the news without influencing it, but I think it was done in order to establish themselves as “trusted” sources of information. (Yellow journalism that uses sensationalism to sell papers has always existed and probably always will.)There was a time when journalism stressed fair and balanced reporting. And it still happens, but mostly at the local level. The large, established dailies are obviously biased and make sure they use the right words and cover the right things.
In many cases, facts are facts.Facts are facts, right? A major fire, death, and conflicts. Fact-checking is job one. People will call you on it until they feel you - a particular paper - have stopped being concerned about just the facts. As one of the managers of a local paper told me: “Journalists are the unsung heroes.”
I think most people get frustrated if they can’t be sure if they are getting an accurate reporting of the facts. It is very bad and wrong to have a major politician who speaks a lot of nonsense. I think most people will ignore or stop caring to know if he ever says anything that is true.