Evolution and Creationism

• Thread starter Thread starter DictatorCzar
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
and I won’t at this point. Watch what the top guys are saying.
Are you one of the people in the video? I asked how you measured information, not how the people in the video measured it. Hint: Shannon Information gets a mention.

Evolution can increase Shannon Information. I need to know if you are using Shannon Information, as in your video, or some other measure.

You still have a question to answer.

“Information is information, neither energy nor matter. Any materialism that fails to take account of this will not survive one day.”
– Norbert Weiner, MIT Mathematician and Founder of
Cybernetics

Anyone seen @Noose001? We were having a chat about time but he’s dipped under the radar recently.

Last edited:
“Information is information, neither energy nor matter. Any materialism that fails to take account of this will not survive one day.”
Cybernetics
Energy and matter change but information/truth never change and God never changes.

40.png
Freddy:
Anyone seen @Noose001? We were having a chat about time but he’s dipped under the radar recently.
Still waiting for a proper and honest response otherwise time is not the rate of change.
I’m afraid I have just the one concept of time. And please don’t propose that my response is not honest. I will appreciate that you will consider my posts to be incorrect but please don’t accuse them of being dishonest.

I’ll be interested in your definition of time. In the first instance, so that we can compare yours and mine. And the second, so that we can use either of them as a basis for calculating the age of…I dunno…the planet for example.

Cybernetics
Dr. Weiner is correct. A bit of information is neither matter nor energy. However, all that tells us is what Dr. Weiner thinks. I am still waiting for you to tell us how you, buffalo, measure information.

We know that evolution can increase the number of bits of information in a piece of DNA. One of the speakers in your video talked about measuring the bits of Shannon information in DNA. All that is standard science which I can get from a textbook. What I cannot get from a textbook is the information measure you personally are using.

I’m afraid I have just the one concept of time. And please don’t propose that my response is not honest. I will appreciate that you will consider my posts to be incorrect but please don’t accuse them of being dishonest.

I’ll be interested in your definition of time. In the first instance, so that we can compare yours and mine. And the second, so that we can use either of them as a basis for calculating the age of…I dunno…the planet for example.
Dishonest because that’s not what Physics describes time. Your proposal is more philosophical and i have a problem with it because we can affect change or rate of change by increasing or slowing but we can not affect passage of time; so this means change or rate of change is not by itself time but it could be subject to time.

My definition; Passage of time is an experience.

40.png
Freddy:

Dishonest because that’s not what Physics describes time. Your proposal is more philosophical and i have a problem with it because we can affect change or rate of change by increasing or slowing but we can not affect passage of time; so this means change or rate of change is not by itself time but it could be subject to time.

My definition; Passage of time is an experience.
Are you suggesting we can’t agree on a specific interval of time? If so, science ceases to exist.

Are you suggesting we can’t agree on a specific interval of time? If so, science ceases to exist.
A specific interval of time, example a second, is just a measure of time that man has come up with to help in bringing to perspective the experience of ‘passage of time’.

If we discard all intervals of time, we will still experience passage of time. If all changes stopped, we will still experience the passage of time.

And if a second is just an agreement, so is 13.8 Billion years.

Last edited:
And if a second is just an agreement, so is 13.8 Billion years.
Can we agree that one measure of time that man has come up with to help in bringing to perspective the experience of ‘passage of time’ is a year? And a year is measured by the time it takes for the planet to complete one orbit of the sun?

Now a small child and an eighty year old man may experience a year differently. One will feel it to be longer than the other. But we all agree it represents the same length of time. We can all mark the days off on a calendar one by one to meaure this. Is that not correct?

Can we agree that one measure of time that man has come up with to help in bringing to perspective the experience of ‘passage of time’ is a year? And a year is measured by the time it takes for the planet to complete one orbit of the sun?

Now a small child and an eighty year old man may experience a year differently. One will feel it to be longer than the other. But we all agree it represents the same length of time. We can all mark the days off on a calendar one by one to meaure this. Is that not correct?
An agreement is a very good thing but let’s not overstretch it. We can also agree that experienced time can only be defined as past (what was experienced), present (what is being experienced) future (what might be experienced based on our past and present).

So, yes, i agree that an earth year is the measure of the experience of passage of time by our observation of earth’s movement against the sun.

So, yes, i agree that an earth year is the measure of the experience of passage of time by our observation of earth’s movement against the sun.
There ya go! We reached an agreement. Well done.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back