B
BlueEyedLady
Guest
There really isn’t an emoticon for the confused face that I’m making. But I’ve known enough wonderful men raised by single moms to know that the blanket “it makes for messed-up psychology” is not correct. And that statement is an insult to a lot of great men, including many here on CAF.Yes, I understand that. But boys maturing into men need less mothering and more fathering. It is a time when fathers in intact homes frequently find themselves stepping into the lead role with the boys, who will challenge their mom and tax her in all sorts of ways, hungering for a strong father to guide them into becoming strong and effective men.
I married a man whose father was not present during most of his life. Trust me, it makes for a messed-up psychology.
A child should not be placed with a parent based on gender. It should be based on who is better able to provide, who can spend the most time with the child, who will give the child a better upbringing, and to a lesser extent what the child wants. And in many states once a child is about 14 they get a lot of say in which parent they live with.