Federal Executions Pit The Trump Administration Against The Catholic Church

Status
Not open for further replies.
But I’ve also read that the Pope considers a life sentence to essentially be a death sentence.
I humbly submit that this, not being a matter of faith and morals, will be something I will disagree with. Life is life. It doesn’t matter what the circumstance is, it is not death.

So the Church has declared capital punishment “immoral” in some way that can’t be articulated.

And I’m personally causing the closure of CAF.

Wow.

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

We should never forget the victims, Todd and Stacy Bailey.

So the Church has declared capital punishment “immoral” in some way that can’t be articulated.

And I’m personally causing the closure of CAF.

Wow.
Maybe he or she has already signed off for good but this is the area, Bender always debated about.

I did see some sort of Catholic article that laid out what the church’s position is. I’ll have to try to find it later. It may not be that simple.

It may not be that simple.
It isn’t. Unfortunately, articles like this NPR story are used to create division. There is no dialog between the Church and the US government about our use of capital punishment (AFAIK). I’m actually that this issue wasn’t used more during the ACB nomination process.

It can be and has been articulated by the Church in the Catechism, by the Pope, and by the bishops. But some Catholics like to pretend they don’t “understand” clear teaching that conflicts with their personal political positions.

Catholics like to pretend they don’t “understand” clear teaching that conflicts with their personal political positions.
I understand that for 2000 years, the Church has recognized the authority of states to use capital punishment.

So, what exactly is the clear teaching?
That recourse to capital punishment is not moral. Something I know that you know, as I have seen you in discussions on this topic. You can disagree with the Church all you want. But you should not be misleading others into believing the Church teaches other than it does.

That recourse to capital punishment is not moral.
But that is not what the Catechism says.
Something I know that you know, as I have seen you in discussions on this topic.
I do not believe some capital punishment to be immoral.
As one could infer from my above posts, I draw the line at the public safety.
If the criminal can be put away forever, then the execution is murder (in my opinion)…if not, then it is simply a tragic circumstance.
I choose to avoid thinking of the victim. That would taint my opinion towards revenge instead of justice.

But in all of that, the Catholic church teaching on this form of punishment is far more nuanced than you claim.
You can disagree with the Church all you want. But you should not be misleading others into believing the Church teaches other than it does.
It is not I that is misrepresenting the church teaching.

I asked what exactly you believed the clear teaching of the church to be…and you answered straight out that it is immoral. Yet that is nowhere in the Catechism.

But that is not what the Catechism says.
The Catechism says that the death penalty is “inadmissible.” The Pope (both verbally and in his encyclical) and the bishops (as well as the explanations from the CDF and the Cardinals) have made clear that the death penalty is an unjustified taking of life that is in conflict with the inherent dignity of all people. To pretend that somehow the death penalty is allowed or moral in the face of that teaching is, at best, deeply disingenuous.
It is not I that is misrepresenting the church teaching.
Keep telling yourself that.

To pretend that somehow the death penalty is allowed or moral in the face of that teaching is, at best, deeply disingenuous.
I haven’t.
I do, however, recognize and tell others that the teaching is much more nuanced than that.

I thought what I read was that opposition to capital punishment is not perfect codified in the Catholic Church, per “Fratelli Tutti”.

The words you used was “not moral”…can everyone spot the difference?
So, pray tell, what does the Church teach on the death penalty? Are you suggesting the death penalty is moral, and, if so, how can you square that with the Church’s teaching? (Which I believe is clearly in opposition to that position.)

48.png
Motherwit:
The Church didn’t change it’s teaching. The death penalty was permitted by States if it served the common good. Being conditional upon that end has always been explicit.
I struggle with understanding this viewpoint in Catholicism - the sacredness of human life is situational and conditional? Our dignity and “right to life” are not inherent in our human essence but are changeable according to circumstances?
The truths revealed continue to come into focus more and more with time. As the CCC states…

66 "The Christian economy, therefore, since it is the new and definitive Covenant, will never pass away; and no new public revelation is to be expected before the glorious manifestation of our Lord Jesus Christ."28 Yet even if Revelation is already complete, it has not been made completely explicit; it remains for Christian faith gradually to grasp its full significance over the course of the centuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back