Feds say they thwarted militia plot to kidnap Governor Whitmer. Other state governments targeted too

• Thread starter Thread starter toabb
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
sloancaprice. I have told you what’s wrong with it but you don’t listen.
the majority of voters voted for it in 2017.
So what? Many people there cannot vote.

It is a gimmick to try to artificially inflate Democrat power because their ideas cannot win at the ballot box nationally.

If Puerto Ricans and Guamians (or whatever they are called) want to be states I say “why not?”

What benefit does the US get from them being states vs territories? Why should they get the benefits of statehood?

What benefit does the US get from them being states vs territories? Why should they get the benefits of statehood?
Because they want to and the US should be welcoming and open to embrace them into the union if that is their wish.

Same with DC.

Last edited:
Of Course she does, she’s a Republican.

However,

In the aftermath of 2019–20 Puerto Rico earthquakes residents discovered unused aid from Hurricane Maria in a warehouse in Ponce and as a result Vázquez fired her emergency management director.[31] On July 21, 2020, the Puerto Rico Office of the Special Independent Prosecutor’s Panel opened a case against Vázquez for alleged violation of the Commonwealth’s ethics law, as well as federal regulations, related to her handling of aid to the earthquake victims.[32] She responded by accusing the judge in charge of the investigation of being a supporter of her primary elections challenger Pedro Pierluisi. Vázquez was ordered by the panel to present evidence in the form of photos which she claimed demonstrated that political motives were behind the investigation, but she failed to provide said evidence.[33]

Ok, but again, why? Why should we accept them as a state? What benefit does the US get? Should we grant statehood to any geographic/political entity that wants it?

Ok, but again, why? Why should we accept them as a state? What benefit does the US get? Should we grant statehood to any geographic/political entity that wants it?
What benefit does the US get from allowing you and I to vote and otherwise be full citizens? Isn’t there a benefit to simply granting them full rights as citizens? If not, maybe none of us should have those rights.

What’s wrong with Puerto Rico becoming a state if they desire it? You claimed it was a Democratic ploy, but the majority of voters voted for it in 2017.
I think that the citizens of Puerto Rico have voted down seeking statehood at least twice during my lifetime.
The fact is, this is a political gimmick by Democrats who are seeking DESTRUCTION of the electoral college …
Perhaps the electoral college should be eliminated. You remember, ‘one man, one vote’? The college has racist roots and represents the vestiges of slave states wanting political power (remember ‘3/5 of a man’?) and southern states wanting to maintain political power through impeding the right to vote of minorities. It is time for it to go.

Small states get to vote for 2 senators, no matter what. That seems enough to me.

Last edited:
Well one benefit the US gets is income taxes. Currently PR citizens in PR don’t pay income taxes. So it would generate more tax revenue for the feds.

However, im really just looking for a more concrete answer than “we should be welcoming” because by that logic we might as well start trying to make states of the whole world and have one big United States of Earth of everyone who wants to be. I hope I don’t have to point out downsides to that.

What’s wrong with Puerto Rico becoming a state if they desire it? You claimed it was a Democratic ploy, but the majority of voters voted for it in 2017.
And the Senate allegedly refused to bring it to the floor.

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

Last edited:
That is an interesting bit of history. And while I’ve enjoyed my visits to that little island I think it’s safely said both country’s are better off that that didn’t happen lol

However, im really just looking for a more concrete answer than “we should be welcoming” because by that logic we might as well start trying to make states of the whole world and have one big United States of Earth of everyone who wants to be. I hope I don’t have to point out downsides to that.
Seriously? We are not talking about the whole world. We are talking about millions of American citizens. As to why we should respect their rights, even if it is not politically or financially advantageous to you personally - Is Democracy no longer worth grasping at? Must we be able to identify an additional penny to put in our pocket before respecting the rights of others?

Must we be able to identify an additional penny to put in our pocket before respecting the rights of others?
In short, yes.

The US will ultimately fail because of the selfishness of its citizens. “I’ve got mine, why should I care about you?” Is an unsustainable social model.

We see it in microcosm all around us.

I don’t think monarchy would really work in the US. In a pragmatic sense I think the US is just too big to be a single country anymore and probably needs to (hopefully peacefully) Balkanize. What could rise from that would maybe be a more streamlined and efficient form of government many would probably view as “authoritarian.” But ideally would still not have completely unlimited power. Maybe a triumvirate? Something where the power is neither too concentrated or too spread out among people who have no business making policy decisions.

Group charged in Michigan governor kidnap plot discussed targeting Virginia governor, FBI agent says​

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

(CNN)The group charged with plotting to kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer also discussed kidnapping Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam, an FBI agent testified in court on Tuesday.

FBI agent Richard Trask testified during a preliminary hearing that the group discussed taking out sitting governors due to their “coronavirus-related lockdown orders.”

“They discussed possible targets, taking a sitting governor, specifically governors of Michigan and Virginia, over shut down orders,” Trask said.

“The understanding at the time was to potentially kidnap a sitting governor and remove them from office,” he added.

Last edited:
I just looked it up - Ireland is about the size of the state of Indiana (and has a slightly smaller population).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back