Free will? I dont think so

• Thread starter Thread starter phil3
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back go the point where you had less rationalty then than a dog does now.
You’re missing the gating criterion. Our first ancestor who didn’t have rationality (not “less than a dog”, just “not rational”) wasn’t ensouled and therefore not human.
Is your explanation for that somehow connnected fo Genesis?
Yep. I think the reasonable explanation is that, when Genesis says that God created Adam from pre-existing matter, then that pre-existing matter was a previously-unensouled hominin.

40.png
Freddy:
Is your explanation for that somehow connnected fo Genesis?
Yep. I think the reasonable explanation is that, when Genesis says that God created Adam from pre-existing matter, then that pre-existing matter was a previously-unensouled hominin.
Then there’s no point in continuing the discussion.

Not seeing how you reach that conclusion, but … whatever. 🤔

Is your problem that I’m not a Scriptural literalist-fundamentalist? Or that I believe God created humanity, as such?

Oh, wait… your problem is that I assent to the idea that, since Man is specially created by God – in His “image and likeness”, with rationality and intellect – that therefore animals do not. You’re vexed that I’m a “speciesist”, eh?

40.png
Freddy:
Not seeing how you reach that conclusion, but … whatever. 🤔

Is your problem that I’m not a Scriptural literalist-fundamentalist? Or that I believe God created humanity, as such?

Oh, wait… your problem is that I assent to the idea that, since Man is specially created by God – in His “image and likeness”, with rationality and intellect – that therefore animals do not. You’re vexed that I’m a “speciesist”, eh?
Not vexed. It’s just that there is nowhere to go. I could give you what I consider to be evidence that rationality is an evolved feature and propose this and suggest that but you have faith in that God did it in one generation.

That leaves me with nowhere to go. Except maybe ‘Oh no He didn’t!’ And that would be a waste of time for both of us.

I’ve been having this problem in a thread on evolution. Lots of involved discussions about fossils and genetics and cladistics and then you gradually discover that at least a couple of people trying to dismantle these arguments are yec. Why not just say so?

Last edited:
Not vexed. It’s just that there is nowhere to go. I could give you what I consider to be evidence that rationality is an evolved feature and propose this and suggest that but you have faith in that God did it in one generation.

That leaves me with nowhere to go. Except maybe ‘Oh no He didn’t!’ And that would be a waste of time for both of us.

I’ve been having this problem in a thread on evolution. Lots of involved discussions about fossils and genetics and cladistics and then you gradually discover that at least a couple of people trying to dismantle these arguments are yec. Why not just say so?
Yep. I get it.

Just to be clear: this position I’m espousing is not YEC. (I don’t think that you’re suggesting it is, but … just for the sake of argument, I wanted to make sure I put it out there.)

But, let’s address the aspect that’s interesting here: you assert that you think that “rationality is an evolved feature.” That’s a plausible theory, on the face of it. How might you propose to demonstrate that it’s true? I mean, we’re talking about the shrouds of time, so there’s no way to prove it, as such, through evidence. But, that’s ok. How might you provide anything that helps us understand it to be true, aside from the assertion on its own? “Things work that way” only goes so far, right? And, the way I see it, the best you can hope to show is “the effects of rationality appear in a way that appears to be evolved.” But, to be fair, animals evolved eyes, right? And, if so, we wouldn’t expect to have implied evidence of eyes immediately, right, but only implied evidence after eyesight appeared in animals!

So, go for it… but you’re gonna hafta show how “rationality is an evolved feature” is something that you can argue for – aside from “it seems like it should be”. 🤷‍♂️

40.png
Freddy:

Yep. I get it.

Just to be clear: this position I’m espousing is not YEC. (I don’t think that you’re suggesting it is, but … just for the sake of argument, I wanted to make sure I put it out there.)
No problem with yec. But you think rationality happened, to all intents, instantly. And I don’t know anything in nature that has happened instantly. It’s all an incredibly slow and cumulative process. So I have no evidence that rationality wasn’t there one day and suddenly appeared the next.

But unfortunately I think that your definition of rationalty is inextricably linked to the soul. So it wouldn’t exist unless there was a soul present and even I will concede that it would be an impossible task to show that a soul evolved.

Whereas my definition is pretty much the dictionary definition of having an ability to use reason or logic. At which point, in previous discussions when I might mention animals other than Man, I get slapped with what someone might consider a zinger of an argument such as ‘show me a monkey that’s written a sonnet/devised a mathematical theory/written a symphony!’. At which point I head for the fridge, get a beer and watch some footy.

But if you think that creatures other than Man posses rationality then I think that I can show that it’s evolved.

P.S. I have in no way concluded that we actually have free will…for other reasons.
Nor have you in any shape manner or form - provided even mere evidences of no Free Will.

Ergo - what it self-evident / obvious - remains standing.

That said, you’ve evidenced that YOU possess the Free Will to ‘will’ about Free Will - however you will.

The point is that

A) if God knows the future people

B) do NOT have free will.
That understandable yet false notion has been thoroughly debunked.

B does not follow A …

Even if a human has a very fair notion of where say a tossed ball shall in the future land…
that notion has zilch to do with the tosser or the ball.

Knowing is not Puppeteering.

_

You say, You cannot apply logic to God, meaning, you want to but we won’t adhere to it. Actually, I hear it the other way around, like when they say if God can do anything can he create a rock so big he can’t lift it. They are being illogical. Or when they say, if God knows the future, why did he create bad people in the first place? That is also illogical because before God created, when nothing but God existed and there was no future because God is unchanging, God did not know the future of people, being bad or good. What!, You saying God does not know? In the sense that nothing has no future. Something that doesn’t exist has no future so saying God knows the future of something that has no future is illogical, and God is not illogical but logical. Now, at the Creation, other things than God came into existence, even time, even future time, then, God knew if you or I will be good or bad. He knew this way back then, after creation because even then He sees us now, before we were born because even then He is in the here and now. Too late. He won’t uncreate us if we’re bad, for we are made in the image of God. That doesn’t mean we look like him but means we have immortal souls. Perpetual.

Last edited:
As Christians maintain God knows the future
Only Christians who do not understand that God doesn’t “know the future”, but knows everything that has or will happen (from our perspective) in His eternal now (no past, no future, just now). We decide, we act, He knows; it’s just that His knowing is not bound by our time.

I’m late to the party here, but I don’t believe that free will is a thing; at least not for any practical purposes.

God supposedly gave of Free Will ostensibly because He wants us to choose to love Him. But what if we choose to not love him? Is God going to be OK with that? No, if someone chooses to not love God then the consequences (e.g, going to Hell) are unimaginably horrid.

No, God is not giving us a Free Will; He is threatening us. It’s like He is holding a gun to our heads and saying “Love me or else.”

If a bad husband tells his wife “Either love me or I will beat you”, can we really expect the wife to truly love him? It’s the same way with God. “Love me or go to Hell.”

If the answer is yes, I have no free will.
First of all, I vehemently dispute this statement. Someone else’s knowledge of what will transpire in no way stops me from making decisions and acting on them, hence I have free will. Now on to the rest:

Time as we experience it is a property inherent to the universe in which we exist. God as the Church understands Him is the Creator of the universe in which we exist and is therefore not a part of that universe. Therefore, He is “outside of time as we experience it”. So there is a possible working definition of “outside time”.

And by the way:
Most theologians respond
Which theologians? Don’t need a complete list, five will do.

No, God is not giving us a Free Will; He is threatening us. It’s like He is holding a gun to our heads and saying “Love me or else.”
jan10000,
I believe your error lies with your conception of love. Actually, it lies with your conception of Hell as well. We cannot love God without our Free Will. Love involves a free act. Now, God IS Love, and we have the choice to love him, or not love him (a pretty fair choice!), there must be a natural consequence to our decision. Hell is simply a state of being, without God. At the end of time (note END of time), our eternal souls, like the angels, must live in our decisions, because there is no Time. When you make a decision on earth, in time, you still have time in which to change that decision. But once there is no more time, you cannot change you decision. That is why Hell is so terrible. Because if we decide to reject God, and do not change that decision before death, we must live in that decision after death! Again, Hell is a state of being. Imagine that you are a horrible, nasty, careless person. If you find yourself in the presence of a truly good, loving person, it is very natural that one would find themselves in turmoil, and extreme discomfort, and even envy; a hatred of good, because you know aren’t good yourself. Obviously on earth, you have the chance to recognize that dissatisfaction with yourself, and change for the better. But that is because we are in time. After time, you live IN your decision. And if you decide to live in God’s happiness, that is Heaven, and if you decide to live without Him, that is Hell. Don’t think that people in Hell want to go to Heaven, but get cast cruelly into some fiery dark place. Those people decide to go to Hell, because the CANNOT stand the presence of God.
Please ask any other questions you may have. Because I promise you, there are answers to every one!

But you think rationality happened, to all intents, instantly.
To be fair, that’s the thesis of evolution, right? It’s a gradual change, but the idea is that, at some point, we can point and say “this species” rather than “that species.” Can we do that with any practical certainty? Of course not. Yet, that’s the idea – there’s a point on the continuum where we can say “this thing” and not “that thing.” Rationality is merely one of these things we’d want to be able to talk about; and, if we define “human” – as opposed to “hominin” – along those lines, then we want to be able to do precisely this kind of thing!
And I don’t know anything in nature that has happened instantly. It’s all an incredibly slow and cumulative process.
Agreed. It’s a process. And yet, if we’re going to provide definitions of various “species”, then we really are drawing a bright line between ‘predecessor’ and ‘successor’ species!
So I have no evidence that rationality wasn’t there one day and suddenly appeared the next.
Indeed. Yet, the presence of evidence in your hands is not the determining factor of whether it’s true… right? It might be the standard by which you, personally, decide to assent… but that’s a different story altogether!
But unfortunately I think that your definition of rationalty is inextricably linked to the soul.
Let me help you out, here: it absolutely is the position that I’m staking out! And, yes – this means that there’s no objective evidence that I can present to prove it or that you can present to disprove it. Now, that might mean to some that it’s an unsupportable thesis… but I think that’s incorrect. It’s an empirically unprovable thesis, but that’s not the same thing as an unsupportable thesis. Those who equivocate the two make an error of category. 🤷‍♂️
Whereas my definition is pretty much the dictionary definition of having an ability to use reason or logic.
So… how might you hope to be able to point to a person, as the first in a species, and say “HIM!” or even better yet “HIM! And not this one before him!” 🤔

Last edited:
At which point, in previous discussions when I might mention animals other than Man, I get slapped with what someone might consider a zinger of an argument such as ‘show me a monkey that’s written a sonnet/devised a mathematical theory/written a symphony!’. At which point I head for the fridge, get a beer and watch some footy.
Two thoughts:
  • First, that’s a fairly reasonable empirical argument, don’t you think? It requires you to do something that you haven’t done, of course (i.e., defining ‘rationality’), but if we even might come to an agreement, it’s a reasonable response – “hey, if we know what things are evidence of rationality… do you see them in other species?”
  • Second, if “head for the fridge, grab a beer, and watch soccer” is an example of rationality… can you show other animals that do so, as an example of their rationality? 🤣
But if you think that creatures other than Man posses rationality then I think that I can show that it’s evolved.
I think that the burden of proof would lie on those who assert that other animals possess rationality, don’t you? If we can get to that point – which requires us first to decide on what “rationality” actually means! – then we might move towards your ‘evolved rationality’ claims!

Why would a “loving” God allow Hell to exist at all?
God does not “allow” “Hell” to exist. Your question shows that you did not pay attention to what I said. Hell is a place, or state (call it what you will, I will reply to that in a moment), WITHOUT God, as a result of the choice of Satan(who is most certainly real) to abandon God, and choose to worship himself instead.
Are you saying there is no Satan and no demons that torture souls in Hell?
Is Hell simply a state of being separate from God?
As for this, well, I will start by acknowledging that “simply” was a poor word choice. Let me clarify. I don’t know how deep your understanding of the supernatural goes, so I will just go on the assumption that we agree on certain basic ideals. Satin rejected God, and chose not to serve. As a spiritual being, outside of time, he lives in his decision. Once he made his decision to reject God, that was it. So, naturally, he could not stay in the presence of God. Other angels as well chose to reject God. They too could not stay in his presence. I will say now, I have NO IDEA what Hell will be like. Whether or not it is a place of physical pain, or spiritual pain, or whatever other conceptions of it one may have, we DO know that it is a place apart from God. When we choose to go away from God, of course we are no longer with him. It is a natural effect. Satan is still present, along with the other fallen angels, and they long to “bring souls” to ruin and destruction through temptation, not for the sake of company, or because they want companionship while enduring the hardships of Hell. It is out of envy and disgust that they tempt us. Because we have time. Time to choose good. And that is itself the definition of Free Will: the ability to do good, for the sake of doing so, and because we love God. We cannot be forced to love. Otherwise it is not true love. And if we do not truly love God, we cannot truly want to give ourselves to him for eternity.

God knows our future actions for sure not because we are bound to a fate, but because He knows us so well and because He controls all that happens around us that doesn’t have free will. In this manner, God is able to predict our actions with 100% certainty.

And even of God didn’t want to predict, He would be able to know because He is out of time, so He can simply scan your life at any moment of it.

So do you think people that are not baptized go to Hell?
And with regard to salvation, you need to first come to understanding of the teachings of the Church, the love, mercy, AND justice of God. Any who truly seeks for the Truth will find it, just as Christ said. “Seek, and ye shall find”. Of course, not all have the knowledge of Christianity and Divine Revelation, but that is why God created Natural Law, otherwise known as a conscience. If one follows what he knows to be right, in the pursuit of Truth, he can indeed hope for his Salvation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back