Great Catholic Books

• Thread starter Thread starter retina_md
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

retina_md

Thought it might interesting to hear what others are reading.

I’d like to recommend Peter Kreeft’s “Christianity for Modern Pagans: Pascal’s Pensees” Great commentary on some of Pascal’s notions. I’m not sure who I enjoyed more, Kreeft or Pascal!

Kreeft’s a good writer, but not all of his stuff is exactly solid.

For example, in his book Catholic Christianity, he makes a distinction between Christ’s visible Body, the Catholic Church, and his Mystical Body, which embraces all men of goodwill.

Such a distinction is a heretical one, most recently condemned by Pope Pius XII.

I think this and other errors are due more to ignorance than an inent to be heretical. After all, he is a convert.

*Before the Dawn * by Eugenio Zolli. Great book about the Chief Rabbi’s conversion after WWII and his friendship with Pius XII.

I’m currently reading Belloc’s The Free Press.

I’m currently reading Philip Trowler’s Turmoil and Truth: The Historical Roots of the Modern Crisis in the Catholic Church. It is, by far, the best introduction to the Modernist crisis plaguing the Catholic Church today, and is essential reading for any serious Catholic.

I’m reading “Seeking Spiritual Direction - How to Grow the Divine Life Within” by Thomas Dubay.

Good stuff!

Not a Catholic book per se, but I am reading Inquisition by Edward Peters. A must have for debunking those moronic “95 million deaths by Inquistion” saws.

Scott

I am reading “Fire Within” by Thomas Dubay, S.M. it is about St. Teresa of Avila, St. JOhn of the Cross, and the Gospel - on Prayer.

I sure have a long way to go.

The best books on the subject of the Inquisition, that I know of, are William Walsh’s Characters of the Inquisition and Henry Kamen’s Spanish Inquisition: An Historical Revision.

Lest we scandlize our Protestant brethren, I’m sure I speak for us all when I say that the greatest of the “Great Catholic Books” is the Holy Bible!

I know nothing else that compares.

I love the numbers Scott LOL. They say the same thing about Spaniards who somehow completely changed the demographic of Latin America. Yup, we had sex with everyone from California to Argentina. Nevermind that there weren’t enough people in Spain collectively to repopulate Texas, let alone the entire continent!

Bishop Sheen’s works are marvelous. Life of Christ and The World’s First Love are just a few to mention.

The Bishop had keen insight into the deep theological issues and yet explained them so beautifully. His abilty to teach and bring the faith to the 20th century worldview was powerful indeed.

Perhaps the best summary and compendium I have ever read on the history of heresies is Father Richard Hogan’s Dissent from the Creed:Heresies Past and Present published by Our Sunday Visitor. Good stuff that really has changed the way I say the Nicene Creed at Mass. The creed has really come alive in all its beauty and richness.
I give all these a 👍

40.png
TheArchAngel:
I am reading “Fire Within” by Thomas Dubay, S.M. it is about St. Teresa of Avila, St. JOhn of the Cross, and the Gospel - on Prayer.

I sure have a long way to go.
I read “Fire Within” and thought it a little slow, but it got me into Teresa. Teresa’s Autobiography is huge but fascinating reading. One of my all-time favorites.

My favorite work of Catholic fiction is William M. Miller’s Canticle for Leibbowitz. This work was the first piece of science fiction to speculate on a post-nuclear holocaust. It was written shortly after Miller’s conversion to the Catholic faith.

The sequel, Saint Leibowitz and the Wild Horse Woman, was less inspiring. It was written after Miller fell away from the Catholic faith, and published posthumously, after he commited suicide.

Hi…this is my first post here!
Dave Armstrong’s book A Biblical Defence of Catholicism is a must read. It helped me a lot during my journey home to Rome (I am not yet Catholic…but am in the process of receiving full communion with Christ’s Church). One of the nice things about it is that it’s available in .doc format for a very modest price…Dave’s site is ic.net/~erasmus/RAZINDEX.HTM.
God bless.

St. Teresa of Avila’s writings have been very inspiring for me and Mother Teresa’s life and writings have also been, but the book that made practicing my faith real to me was “Abandonment to Divine Providence” by Jean-Pierre De Caussade. Just a couple of lines for a teaser… “Without Him everything is nothing, and with Him nothing is everything.” and… “To become perfect we need not understand the designs of God, but only obey Him.”

I just started on “Christ is passing by” by St. Josemaria Escriva. It’s supposed to be good-- a collection of his homilies. I haven’t gotten into it enough yet to comment personally, though.

I just have to say a little something about “The Sinners Guide” by Venerable Louis of Granada. I am just 36 pages into it, but there isn’t a page that goes by that I am not underlining something. I am so glad I stumbled across this book. Ven. Louis was a favorite spiritual writer of St. Teresa of Avila, St John of the Cross, St Francis de Sales, St Charles Borromeo, St Vincent de Paul and St Rose of Lima. Who am I to argue with them?

Scott Hahn’s *The Lamb’s Supper: the Mass as Heaven on Earth * and Hail, Holy Queen

Also,

St Faustina’s Diary: Divine Mercy in My Soul, very powerful and enlightening diary! 👍

Adam N:
I just started on “Christ is passing by” by St. Josemaria Escriva. It’s supposed to be good-- a collection of his homilies. I haven’t gotten into it enough yet to comment personally, though.
It is very good. You can search this text and many of the other writings of St. Escriva at EscrivaWorks .

I am just starting Geoerge Weigel’s latest book Letters to a Young Catholic. For recent converts who did not grow up in or near the faith it is a wonderful tour of the heritage of Catholicism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back