Holding Hands at the Lord's Prayer

• Thread starter Thread starter ToledoLegate
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

ToledoLegate

Here’s a fullproof way to end that…when you see the hands “reaching out”, have a tissue ready to relieve the nose and I grant you, folks will not bother holdinig it.

Better yet, there’s no need to feel “social pressure”… just simply refuse to hold their hands and keep your focus on the Lord. Then, depending how sane the bishop is, take the matter to him or go directly to Rome. You have that right under Canon Law.

My revised website will address such matters. Stay tuned.

I didn’t enter into the proir thread on this topic. As I see it this issue was well known when the GIRM was being developed as well as when the Instruction was being worked on. The fact that little or nothing is mentioned of this practice in either I would suppose that it is left up to the individual. I have seen priests hold up the Our Father and make a comment that not everyone is holding hands yet. “We’ll wait”. This is improper and the priest has no right to require this.

Many priests hold hands with the servers and/or deacons. So naturally the people follow that example. But in my parish, there is no hand-holding on the altar… yet most of the people hold hands anyway. I have been wanting to ask the pastor for his thoughts on the issue (to find out why he doesn’t make an announcement… or maybe he did once upon a time and I missed it)… but the right moment has not come up yet.

40.png
ToledoLegate:
Here’s a fullproof way to end that…when you see the hands “reaching out”, have a tissue ready to relieve the nose and I grant you, folks will not bother holdinig it.

Better yet, there’s no need to feel “social pressure”… just simply refuse to hold their hands and keep your focus on the Lord. Then, depending how sane the bishop is, take the matter to him or go directly to Rome. You have that right under Canon Law.

My revised website will address such matters. Stay tuned.
I personally think - “A mountain is being made out of a mole hill” on this issue. If I am with my wife at Mass which is not very often because I am normally in the Santruary doing my Diaconal Duties, I hold hands with my wife. If this offends anyone I am not sorry. We don’t need the Liturgy Police telling me I can’t hold my wife of 41 years hand .

DigitalDeacon

I am new to the faith, only being received this past Easter, but I like holding hands during the Lords Prayer. I get such a wonderful feeling of unity. What a wonderful way of sharing the love of God with our brothers and sisters.

Just adding my two cents worth to this ongoing debate.

God’s Blessings to all

Think about it this way - the pinnacle - it does not preclude sharing before but it reaches higher heights.

40.png
DigitalDeacon:
I personally think - “A mountain is being made out of a mole hill” on this issue. If I am with my wife at Mass which is not very often because I am normally in the Santruary doing my Diaconal Duties, I hold hands with my wife. If this offends anyone I am not sorry. We don’t need the Liturgy Police telling me I can’t hold my wife of 41 years hand .

DigitalDeacon
What? No comment on my post?

And the externals of the mass are further de sacramentalised. Anyways, like other trends that have burnt out as I hjave previously mentioned, this too will burn out.

If you wish to hold hands at any part of the Mass with your wife or child or anyone for that matter, you may certainly do so. I doubt if anyone would deny you that right.

I think many people do not like being told that they have to hold hands when, in fact, it is not in the rubrics and the Vatican has acknowledged that point.

Seriously, some of you need to find something important to get up in arms about. If we could put all this energy spent on this thread into changing the world, just imagine what we could do? Still, I just can’t keep from putting my 2 cents worth in. I think if people want to hold hands, let ‘em. We should all be praying to God, not policing others’ behavior. Let’s leave that to the priests and bishops and if they are not as strict as you would want, pray for them to know God’s will in this and let it go. No one should just reach out and grab hold of someone’s hands. Some people with arthritis and such are really pained by this. Some people are just really offended by this. It makes some people feel “creepy”, which might seem strange to you or me, but not my business. (Veronica Anne, I truly apologize for saying it is a neuroses - that was unkind and unfair.) We don’t hold hands in the choir which is probably good because when I am nervous, I have to concentrate on not squeezing someone’s hand. I have had my hand squeezed so hard it went numb in the short time it was held. Didn’t read anything into that other than the guy didn’t know his strength. So, hand - holders, be gentle and don’t be offended if someone does not want to hold hands. 🙂 And those who don’t want to hold hands, just fold your hands and close your eyes and “offer it up” for the hand-holders.

Oh, and Digital Deacon, I personally loved your post. I have been married 22 years and I think it is absolutely wonderful for you to be holding hands with your wife after 41 years. In this world, we need all the examples of sacramental marriage that we can find. :bowdown2: :clapping: :bowdown2: :clapping:

We’re missing the point here…

Aside from the normal scenarios of holding a spouse or child’s hand…this is not the issue. The issue is the forced and inane Protestant Innovavtion of holding hands at the Lord’s Prayer thinking that this is a sign of communion and unity. It’s HERESY! It is not the Lord’s Prayer that is a sign and source of communion but that of receiving our Lord- Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity in Holy Communion. THAT is the source of our unity and communion. Those who are new to the faith can visit my up and coming website devoted to precisely these troubling matters.

As for OPINIONS…they have no place in public worship.

It’s time to have Cardinal George as the Chief Liturgist for the USA!!!

40.png
ToledoLegate:
We’re missing the point here…

Aside from the normal scenarios of holding a spouse or child’s hand…this is not the issue. The issue is the forced and inane Protestant Innovavtion of holding hands at the Lord’s Prayer thinking that this is a sign of communion and unity. It’s HERESY! It is not the Lord’s Prayer that is a sign and source of communion but that of receiving our Lord- Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity in Holy Communion. THAT is the source of our unity and communion. Those who are new to the faith can visit my up and coming website devoted to precisely these troubling matters.

As for OPINIONS…they have no place in public worship.

It’s time to have Cardinal George as the Chief Liturgist for the USA!!!
The only issue I addressed was holding my wife’s hand. I am not particularly for holding hands but to say those who like it are wrong or being HERESY is for me a little over the top.

DigitalDeacon

40.png
mkw:
I am new to the faith, only being received this past Easter, but I like holding hands during the Lords Prayer. I get such a wonderful feeling of unity. What a wonderful way of sharing the love of God with our brothers and sisters.

Just adding my two cents worth to this ongoing debate.

God’s Blessings to all
UNITY - Amen
That my 2 cents

If you want to hold hands do so, if not don’t - this sure sounds like a common posture that puts us in communion with each other. LOL Postures are important because they unify by all doing the same.

40.png
buffalo:
If you want to hold hands do so, if not don’t - this sure sounds like a common posture that puts us in communion with each other. LOL Postures are important because they unify by all doing the same.
You’ve got it “almost” correct.

Postures are important.
Unity is important.
but:
The way we show unity is in Communion.
Obedience to the rubrics of the Mass is important. Holding hands is just not part of the rubrics.

When I was in RCIA, I asked my director about the holding of hands at the Lords prayer. I think what he shared with me was wise. “Do what is the norm at the church you are at.”
Basically, I prefer not to hold hands with someone during mass; however, refusing to hold hands with someone may cause distraction to my brother or sister in Christ, who I am standing next to. Would it not be apporopriate to show charity and sacrifice our own preference for this matter? I think it is perfectly fine to just go along with the norm. Hold hands if your neighbor wants to, keep your hands folded up in prayer if you don’t want to hold hands. It’s that simple. This kind of little communication may be healthy in this matter.
God Bless,

Justin

We’re still out of perspective here… Again, to say that the Lord’s Prayer and the “Fooling with hands” are symbols of unity is simply PURE HERESY! The liturgical terrorists just can’t seem to get that though their heads.

It is the EUCHARIST…our receiving the Body and Blood, Sould and Divinity of Jesus Christ that is the sign of our communion and unity within the Church. It’s simple. Innovations have no place in the Sacrifice of Holy Mass- PERIOD!

As the adage goes, "Rome has spoken, Case Closed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back