How should I tell them

  • Thread starter Thread starter Looking_back
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
This would actually be funny if it wasn’t for the fact that this was the actual penalty back in the dark ages… and if it wasn’t for the fact that I was named after Joan of Arc.
Do you know that those burned at the stake were done so by order of their governments, not the Church. People begged to be tried by Church tribunals because they were fair and unbiased. And do you know they were burned because they advocated social anarchy or were opposed to a legitimate heir to the throne, not because they advocated a different belief in Christ or life on other worlds, etc.–that if you read their beliefs you, as a Protestant, wouldn’t agree with them?
Where did I write I write anything to that effect? I wrote 2 sentences; surely not enough to get all that information out of it.
Yes I did know that the Church itself did not carry out the sentence. They just went ahead and declared a person to be guilty or innocent and the government authorities did react to that. You do however underestimate the power the church wielded at that time. Just remember Canossa… The power of the Church and the power of the state were sometimes stronger on the one side and sometimes on the other, but in her more powerful times the church did indeed have power over those who governed the states.
Concerning the death of heretics by burning on the stake, I beg to differ:
Just take Jan Hus… Just one example. Burning at the stake was only for the most serious cases, including repeat offenders and unrepentant heretics. Execution was done not by the Church, which was forbidden to kill, but by secular officials.
And do you know that Jeanne de Arc was wrongfully condemned even after a Church commission ordered by the pope had found her innocent of any heresy? Mark Twain did. He wrote a book about it. And do you know it was the English bishops who found her guilty because of national allegiance not because she was guilty of anything? Do you know real history not merely anti-Catholic propaganda that passes for history in some quarters?
More information out of a snippet I wrote. I was named after her and I am in my 20s. Don’t you think that I would have some historical information apart from Wikipedia and Hollywood? I read more than just one book, most of them in German or translated into German though. I even went ahead and visited her birthplace in France and the cathedral the dauphin had his coronation in.
And do you also know that the words of the verse you cite in your signature are what Catholics declare silently in their hearts at the elevation of the Sacred Host? Indeed, he is our Lord and our God whom we are privileged to receive because he deigns to come to us under the appearance of bread and wine.
Yes, I do know this. You accuse me of only listening to Catholic propaganda, not knowing anything about my patron saint, not knowing anything about medieval history and you seem to think it is important to tell me that Catholics pray what is written in my signature while viewing the elevated host… and all of that out of a very short comment I made…
“This would actually be funny if it wasn’t for the fact that this was the actual penalty back in the dark ages… and if it wasn’t for the fact that I was named after Joan of Arc.”

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit, be with you.

Your sister in Christ,
Janet
 
Satan is very good at throwing good feelings at us when we sin - would people sin if it did NOT feel good?

We are to master our feelings, not let them master us.
I feel I’ve finally done that.
 
Where did I write I write anything to that effect? I wrote 2 sentences; surely not enough to get all that information out of it.
Yes I did know that the Church itself did not carry out the sentence. They just went ahead and declared a person to be guilty or innocent and the government authorities did react to that. You do however underestimate the power the church wielded at that time. Just remember Canossa… The power of the Church and the power of the state were sometimes stronger on the one side and sometimes on the other, but in her more powerful times the church did indeed have power over those who governed the states.
Concerning the death of heretics by burning on the stake, I beg to differ:
Just take Jan Hus… Just one example. Burning at the stake was only for the most serious cases, including repeat offenders and unrepentant heretics. Execution was done not by the Church, which was forbidden to kill, but by secular officials.

More information out of a snippet I wrote. I was named after her and I am in my 20s. Don’t you think that I would have some historical information apart from Wikipedia and Hollywood? I read more than just one book, most of them in German or translated into German though. I even went ahead and visited her birthplace in France and the cathedral the dauphin had his coronation in.

Yes, I do know this. You accuse me of only listening to Catholic propaganda, not knowing anything about my patron saint, not knowing anything about medieval history and you seem to think it is important to tell me that Catholics pray what is written in my signature while viewing the elevated host… and all of that out of a very short comment I made…
“This would actually be funny if it wasn’t for the fact that this was the actual penalty back in the dark ages… and if it wasn’t for the fact that I was named after Joan of Arc.”

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit, be with you.

Your sister in Christ,
Janet
It wasn’t my intention to accuse you but to alert you if you weren’t sufficiently informed. I see you are, which puzzles me all the more about your decision to leave Christ in the Eucharist behind for…what? :confused: What could possibly induce anyone who knows and has tasted the Real Presence to abandon him? Over what? I’m truly puzzled and pained in the heart for you. Jesus is waiting for you in the Sacrament. And Easter is a great time to come home. I hope you earnestly pray about it.

God bless you,
Della
 
It wasn’t my intention to accuse you but to alert you if you weren’t sufficiently informed. I see you are, which puzzles me all the more about your decision to leave Christ in the Eucharist behind for…what? :confused: What could possibly induce anyone who knows and has tasted the Real Presence to abandon him? Over what? I’m truly puzzled and pained in the heart for you. Jesus is waiting for you in the Sacrament. And Easter is a great time to come home. I hope you earnestly pray about it.

God bless you,
Della
I understand. Thank you for your clarification.
I left the Eucharist for something that I would have never understood either when I was still Catholic. As a matter of fact I might have gotten into problems for being to radical against Protestants had I been on this message board back when I was a teenager.
I was more than a scoffer… I despised Protestantism and my wish was to convert every single one of them to the Catholic Church.
I did have a time in my life before that when I struggled with the Eucharist, but I got over it and I spent more time on the floor in front of the tabernacle than I spent in my bed (or even just in my room).
I did pray about it for a long time. I was broken and I still am. God continues to break me into what He wants me to be, but this time I actually appreciate it.
I used to be burdened and excessively plagued by my own sin. I still spend a lot of time as a repentant sinner in front of the Lord, but I also know that He loves me and he cares for me. Some things will never change, like my devotion for Him.
If I was to say what my dream in life is, then it would be to meet Him face-to-face, fall down at his feet and just let it all out and weep. After that I would want to do nothing but just worship Him in His unspeakable majesty.

Concerning my signature again… I chose it together with my profile picture.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top