How To Get To Heaven

  • Thread starter Thread starter xfrodobagginsx
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t pray to her.
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
you know th eanswer to this but I say it again you can remain in your ignorance if you want.

“Pray” is just the old english word for “ask.” In legal papers you still see it used: “Plaintiff prays the court for the following relief …” That’s all we do with reference to saints – we pray (ask) them to pray for us to God. Same as we do with living saints here on earth — we ask them to pray for us.

William Shakespeare said this in one of his plays. “ I PRAY thee cease thy counsel, which falls into mine ears as profitless as water in a sieve.”
There is only one person who can get you to God and that’s Jesus. Not mary, not the saints, not an idol or statue, not some priest, not some pope, just Jesus.
But you can?

WHO THE HECK ARE YOU? :whacky:
 
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
you know th eanswer to this but I say it again you can remain in your ignorance if you want.

“Pray” is just the old english word for “ask.” In legal papers you still see it used: “Plaintiff prays the court for the following relief …” That’s all we do with reference to saints – we pray (ask) them to pray for us to God. Same as we do with living saints here on earth — we ask them to pray for us.

William Shakespeare said this in one of his plays. “ I PRAY thee cease thy counsel, which falls into mine ears as profitless as water in a sieve.”

But you can?

WHO THE HECK ARE YOU? :whacky:
I don’t think frodo can get you into heaven. But he might be able to keep you out of hell by speaking the truth
 
I don’t think frodo can get you into heaven. But he might be able to keep you out of hell by speaking the truth
Why would any of us be in danger of hell? According to frodo, we’re already saved because we have faith in Jesus.
 
Matt7:21-23
Did you and I just switch identities? Haven’t I’ve quoted that verse to you several times now? 🙂

Frodo, however, posted above that all we need to do is believe in Jesus and “accept Jesus as personal savior,” and we’re guaranteed to go to heaven (unlike you, frodo believes in OSAS). Therefore, according to frodo’s own beliefs, none of us are at risk of hell at all, since we all have faith in Jesus and “accept Him as savior.”
 
Did you and I just switch identities? Haven’t I’ve quoted that verse to you several times now? 🙂
."
I don’t recall.
It’s not like you wrote that verse.
It is a pretty common verse in the bible.
I might have read it once or twice before you mentioned it to me.
 
I don’t recall.
It’s not like you wrote that verse.
It is a pretty common verse in the bible.
I might have read it once or twice before you mentioned it to me.
Did you miss the smilie face? I was just teasing you. I wasn’t busting on you! That’s what the smilie face means. See? 🙂
 
Did you miss the smilie face? I was just teasing you. I wasn’t busting on you! That’s what the smilie face means. See? 🙂
I really don’t know what those smiley faces mean.
I sort of look right past them.
I’ll try to pay more attention in the future.

What does the white face with the sunglasses mean?
 
I really don’t know what those smiley faces mean.
I sort of look right past them.
I’ll try to pay more attention in the future.

What does the white face with the sunglasses mean?
Among other things, the smilie faces help to substitute for the body language you’d use if you were conversing in person. So for instance, the same sentence appearing on screen might have a completely different meaning if the poster added this 🙂 as opposed to this. :mad:

Compare this:

Hillary just became president. 👍

to this:

Hillary just became president. :eek:

Identical words, different meanings. Sometimes a person’s “tone” gets lost when the words are reduced to writing, so smilies can mean a lot. Oh, and the sunglasses one means “cool.”

Okay, so backing up a few posts — yes, I agree, not everyone who says “Lord Lord” will enter heaven, but he who does the will of the Father. That is my basic objection to the original post, because in essence, it says we are assured of salvation just by saying “Lord, Lord,” in contradiction to the verse you cite.
 
OSAS is an interesting concept. I’ve said the sinners prayer a bunch of times in my life… at a Billy Graham crusade… at the pentacostal church I used to attend. Now that I’ve done that I can be a Catholic which I am, or an atheist, a buddist, a muslim, new age. It really doesn’t matter because I’m saved. I could break any of the 10 commandments any time I want without fear because I’ve said the sinners prayer, and I meant it with all my heart when I said it. I can believe any thing or do anything I want with impunity because i’ve said the sinners prayer. By the logic of OSAS I can not lose my salvation, so I’m free to do anything I want at anytime. Someone seriously didn’t think that one through when they thought it up let alone read their Bible.
 
xFBx
What will happen is that God will give you a new nature where you will desire to do His will. You will genuinely desire to do God’s will. Will you still sin? Yes, as the bible says to christians:
FB, but having a desire alone will not be of any help. It must be followed buy some type of action. In other words, we MUST do something.

As Gandalf tells Mr Frodo when he wishes (desires) that he had never seen the ring…. “It’s what we DO with the time given to us…”

In like manner, God has put us here for a time.
It’s what we do what that time that will save us. Not simply saying a few words and having a desire. To follow Jesus is TO DO WHAT HE COMMANDS.
Sounds terrific to me 🤷
That’s because you don’t understand how it really is.
Oh really, then please tell me how is it?
Or are people that say this prayer trying to taking the easy and wide road?
We are just doing it God’s way. You should do it His way to.
Really you are doing it God’s way? Show me from scripture that Jesus says that all we need is to say the sinner’s prayer, we will be infused with a genuine desire, and we are on our way.
Code:
    BTW, I am trying very hard to do it His way.  He left us His church who is the pillar and foundation of Truth to guide me, instruct me in the things I don’t understand.
My question to everyone here is…Do you KNOW Jesus? I am not asking if you know ABOUT Him. I am asking you if you KNOW Him? I do, because I am saved by His perfect, complete work on the cross to pay for my sins. I have accepted His free gift of salvation. AGAIN I ask…How many here actually KNOW Jesus?
To KNOW Him is not enough. We must do something.
Like the young rich man who asks Jesus, “What must I do….” Did Jesus tell him, “You don’t have to do anything, you just have to know me.” Like I said before, the OSAS’ers try to take the easy way but just saying the “sinners prayer” and they are saved. That is NOT God’s way.
 
OSAS is an interesting concept. I’ve said the sinners prayer a bunch of times in my life… at a Billy Graham crusade… at the pentacostal church I used to attend. Now that I’ve done that I can be a Catholic which I am, or an atheist, a buddist, a muslim, new age. It really doesn’t matter because I’m saved. I could break any of the 10 commandments any time I want without fear because I’ve said the sinners prayer, and I meant it with all my heart when I said it. I can believe any thing or do anything I want with impunity because i’ve said the sinners prayer. By the logic of OSAS I can not lose my salvation, so I’m free to do anything I want at anytime. Someone seriously didn’t think that one through when they thought it up let alone read their Bible.
I am so glad that I am not catholic or any other denomination. I am a Christian who has accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior and as a result am forgiven of my sins by the blood that Jesus Christ shed for me on the cross.

1Jo 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
 
So is this:
Luke 18:18-30
An official asked him this question, “Good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?”
Jesus answered him, “Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone. You know the commandments, ‘You shall not commit adultery; you shall not kill; you shall not steal; you shall not bear false witness; honor your father and your mother.’”
And he replied, “All of these I have observed from my youth.”
When Jesus heard this he said to him, “There is still one thing left for you: sell all that you have and distribute it to the poor, and you will have a treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”
But when he heard this he became quite sad, for he was very rich.
Jesus looked at him (now sad) and said, "How hard it is for those who have wealth to enter the kingdom of God!
For it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God."
Those who heard this said, “Then who can be saved?”
And he said, “What is impossible for human beings is possible for God.”
Then Peter said, “We have given up our possessions and followed you.”
He said to them, “Amen, I say to you, there is no one who has given up house or wife or brothers or parents or children for the sake of the kingdom of God who will not receive (back) an overabundant return in this present age and eternal life in the age to come.”
 
I am so glad that I am not catholic or any other denomination. I am a Christian who has accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior and as a result am forgiven of my sins by the blood that Jesus Christ shed for me on the cross.

1Jo 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
What Bible verse says that “accepting Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior” will get us to heaven? Not the verse you quote here. See the word that I’ve enlarged? This verse says “if we WALK in the light …” As you so often posit, “What did it just say?” It doesn’t say “accept Jesus.” It says “walk.” Walking is a work!
 
I am so glad that I am not catholic or any other denomination. I am a Christian who has accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior and as a result am forgiven of my sins by the blood that Jesus Christ shed for me on the cross.
Non-denominationalism is a figment of the imagination; most so-called non-denoms follow some Protestant denomination’s teachings, albeit loosely. Or else they choose and pick different teachings from different denominations and create their own (and it’s still not original).
 
What Bible verse says that “accepting Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior” will get us to heaven? Not the verse you quote here. See the word that I’ve enlarged? This verse says “if we WALK in the light …” As you so often posit, “What did it just say?” It doesn’t say “accept Jesus.” It says “walk.” Walking is a work!
It’s also no different from what Jesus Himself said, “Come follow Me.” His point is very clear: to follow Him means to obey Him, not merely to accept Him.
 
It seems to me that we cover all these issues during the Mass.
REALIZE THAT YOU ARE A SINNER AND IN NEED OF A SAVIOR:
Ro 3:23 “For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;”
Ro 3:10 “As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:”

I confess to almighty God,
and to you, my brothers and sisters,
that I have sinned through my own fault,
in my thoughts and in my words,
in what I have done,
and in what I have failed to do;
and I ask blessed Mary, ever virgin,
all the angels and saints,
and you, my brothers and sisters,
to pray for me to the Lord, our God.

BECAUSE OF OUR SINS, WE DIE BOTH SPIRITUALLY AND PHYSICALLY, BUT GOD SENT HIS SON TO TAKE OUR PUNISHMENT AND GIVE US A CHANCE NOT TO HAVE TO GO TO HELL.
Ro 6:23 “For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.”
Ro 5:8 “But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.”

Glory to God in the highest,
and peace to his people on earth.
Lord God, heavenly King, almighty God and Father,
we worship you, we give you thanks, we praise you for your glory.
Lord Jesus Christ, only Son of the Father,
Lord God, Lamb of God,
you take away the sin of the world: have mercy on us;
you are seated at the right hand of the Father: receive our prayer.
For you alone are the Holy One, you alone are the Lord,
You alone are the Most High, Jesus Christ,
with the Holy Spirit, in the glory of God the Father. Amen

IF WE WILL ACCEPT JESUS CHRIST AS OUR LORD WITH OUR MOUTHS AND BELIEVE IN OUR HEARTS THAT HE ROSE FROM THE DEAD, BY DOING THIS WE ARE RECEIVING HIM:
Ro 10:9,10 “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.”
Joh 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: {power: or, the right, or, privilege}
(KJV)

We believe in one God, the Father, the Almighty,
maker of heaven and earth, of all that is seen and unseen.
We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ, the only Son of God,
eternally begotten of the Father,
God from God, Light from Light, true God from true God,
begotten, not made, one in Being with the Father.
Through him all things were made.
For us men and for our salvation he came down from heaven:
[bow during the next two lines:]
by the power of the Holy Spirit
he was born of the Virgin Mary, and became man.
For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate;
he suffered, died, and was buried.
On the third day he rose again in fulfillment of the Scriptures;
he ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead,
and his kingdom will have no end.
We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life,
who proceeds from the Father and the Son.
With the Father and the Son he is worshipped and glorified.
He has spoken through the Prophets.
We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church.
We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.
We look for the resurrection of the dead,
and the life of the world to come. Amen.

DO YOU BELIEVE THAT JESUS CHRIST DIED ON THE CROSS AND ROSE FROM THE DEAD FOR YOUR SINS? DO YOU ACCEPT WHAT HE DID FOR YOU TO PAY FOR YOUR SINS?

Priest: This is the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world. Happy are those who are called to his supper.
All: Lord, I am not worthy to receive you, but only say the word and I shall be healed.
I would go on to say that we Catholics make the perfect “Altar Call” every Mass when we come forward to recieve the Eucharist, where Jesus gives us His whole life—Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity.

John 6:54
Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day.

Our “bible believing” church believes this bible passage.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top