How would God feel about this tattoo?

• Thread starter Thread starter saintlouisblues19
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
You obviously don’t know your tattoo history either. Often times they were done on warriors, nobles or even Catholic men(and women) who made a pilgrimage to the Holy Land.

I think your perception of what’s normal in the workplace is a little out of date. If you don’t like them and wouldn’t want one, that’s totally fine. But you should recognize that they’re no longer considered weird or trashy per se.
No…“a little out of date”…Tattoos are …must I say my opinion only…they are attention-getting…and I sort of think “less” of the person displaying one…it’s just an automatic feeling towards them…it is so unnecessary… 😷

Okay, some tattoos memorialize a loved one. Or they mark an important event.
Why get it marked on your skin? Why not – write a poem? Plant a memorial tree? Commission a work of art?
That might be your preference. It’s not everyone’s. No one is saying that tattoos are obligatory. If you don’t care for them, don’t get one.
Do people not know that tattoos have a taint of association with a criminal / biker / low-class element of society, although tattoos are somewhat more acceptable today? You seriously don’t know that they have that history?
Are you not aware that they no longer have that connotation? The societal norms around these things have changed. No one sees someone with a tattoo and automatically assumes the person is disreputable or a criminal anymore.

As I said, I’m an attorney. I went to what is usually regarded as one of the most selective law schools in the nation. I have a tattoo. So did some of my classmates. A friend of mine is a physician who teaches cardiology at an elite medical school. She has a small tattoo on her wrist.

This notion that tattoos automatically mean the person is a gang member or biker or ex-con is like forty years out of date.

Again, if they’re just not your taste, totally fair. But the assumptions you’re making about people with tattoos are no longer the norm.

Last edited:
That is really sad.
Do you think less of people who have piercings or are body builders or who wear a lot of make-up too?

This thread has been very eye-opening. And very sad. So much for “they will know we are Christians by our love.” :confused:

A tattoo is up to the individual wanting one…piercings…I have pierced ear lobes…some tattoos and piercings are traditionally in certain countries…that is wonderful! However to wear symbol depicting a certain name or statement is so unnecessary…why not just shout your preferences or make signs…why paint your body…why boasts when it is stated in the Bible that we should pray in silence…right? Yes…they will know we are Christians by our Love, by our Love…not love of a tattoo!
😬 😷

Wow! You just don’t see how arrogant and offensive your word are, do you?
Very sad to see such a judgemental attitude. I mean, you don’t want one, fine, but to actually think less than of someone is beyond the pale.

oh…no! Maybe I don’t… :sob:Please explain…just stating my opinion…don’t want to hurt anyone… 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭

Not sure if you’re being sarcastic, but the issue is that you seem to think less of people with tattoos, or make uncharitable assumptions about them. That’s wrong and not very Christian, frankly.

Again, it’s totally fine to say “I don’t care for tattoos and wouldn’t want one myself.” What’s not cool is to say, “I assume people with tattoos are trashy and don’t belong in respectable jobs.”

Not sure if you’re being sarcastic, but the issue is that you seem to think less of people with tattoos, or make uncharitable assumptions about them. That’s wrong and not very Christian, frankly.

Again, it’s totally fine to say “I don’t care for tattoos and wouldn’t want one myself.” What’s not cool is to say, “I assume people with tattoos are trashy and don’t belong in respectable jobs.”
I would say honestly, that when I see someone with a tattoo, and it’s someone who I might have an ongoing relationship with (neighbor, co-worker, etc), it just introduces a little seed of doubt about that person’s judgment. The more tattoos, or the more obvious and huge the tattoos are, then the bigger the seeds of doubt about that person’s good judgment. That’s all, and obviously it’s just my opinion.
Everyone makes judgements (or evaluations of some kind) about other people based on clothes, grooming choices, and other physical cues. People choose to send certain messages.

Last edited:
So in the next year or so I am seriously considering getting a tattoo. I have read some tattoos are okay while others are not. I am planning on getting Jesus and Mary on both sides of my chest, and either a cross or the Holy Spirit in the middle. This tattoo would cover my entire chest, is this something that God would disapprove of?
I say go for it. I have quite a few tattoos but only one is religious based. Here it is.

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

Everyone makes judgements (or evaluations of some kind) about other people based on clothes, grooming choices, and other physical cues. People choose to send certain messages.
Sure, but you should be cognizant of your own prejudices. We all have them, but we don’t have to consciously reinforce them.

We also have to acknowledge that the “messages” people send via clothes or grooming are just a reflection of society’s perception of the clothes/grooming/whatever. That societal perception can change. There was a time when a woman wearing pants was considered risqué, and people might assume that the woman was sending “I’m edgy/nonconformist/modern” signals. Now no one makes any particular assumption about a woman wearing jeans. Similarly, societal perceptions in general around tattoos have shifted. What was once associated with convicts and bikers is now pretty uncontroversial. 50 years ago a guy with a tattoo on his arm might have been sending a “don’t mess with me or I’ll shank you” signals. Now he’s not sending any particular “signal” because the societal customs around tattoos have shifted.

Last edited:
40.png
27lw:
Sure, but you should be cognizant of your own prejudices. We all have them, but we don’t have to consciously reinforce them.

We also have to acknowledge that the “messages” people send via clothes or grooming are just a reflection of society’s perception of the clothes/grooming/whatever. That societal perception can change. There was a time when a woman wearing pants was considered risqué, and people might assume that the woman was sending “I’m edgy/nonconformist/modern” signals. Now no one makes any particular assumption about a woman wearing jeans. Similarly, societal perceptions in general around tattoos have shifted. What was once associated with convicts and bikers is now pretty uncontroversial.
It’s not a prejudice to evaluate people on the basis of whether or not they have a tattoo. I have a certain lived experience of knowing different people who have tattoos, and I make preliminary evaluations based on my previous encounters with people who have tattoos. People are not born with tattoos, or don’t involuntarily get tattoos, it’s the individual’s choice to get one. It’s a grooming choice.
If I see someone wearing dirty clothes, or unkempt hair, and I make some kind of evaluation about them as a person, is that a prejudice? Of course it depends on circumstances as well, if someone is working in their garden and has dirty clothes vs a waiter or health care worker wearing dirty clothes would be different judgments.
You might think tattoos are 100% uncontroversial, and I might have a different opinion. I just think that people who get tattoos (especially prominent tattoos) overestimate the number of people who think they’re 100% uncontroversial.

Last edited:
I am a more conservative individual and do not like attention of any kind with the exception of being recognized for a job well done at my job. I also am not one to boast about or display my opinion on a tee shirt and never with a visible tattoo!
We usually go through several phases in life. Some of us have phases where we are more insecure and seek recognition and approval from others. Tattoos might be involved in such a phase, that is true. But don’t forget that boasting or displaying an opinion is quite prevalent in very conservative circles as well. Just using other methods.
Have not seen any at operas…banks
In that environment other methods for displaying opinions and group affiliation are used. But if you think such markers aren’t used you are seriously mistaken.
…engineering companies…
Are those special in any kind?
not for me…I love the “preppy” look…nothing but CLASS!
Good for you. Personally I can’t stand those buttondown shirts. Or american suits.

Check this one out- they even use the word “respectable”:

Students’ perception of professors with tattoos:

Last edited:
Yes, I also have a tattoo—a small one that I was already middle-aged when I got it. I would say the same thing. Wait till you are fairly old and then get something small in a place where it can be kept covered most of the time.

An interesting article. The people most likely to “disapprove” of tattoos? Older people and more educated people. Sounds to me like bosses, CEOs, university department heads, etc.
I think this is skewed towards tattoos that are visible in the workplace. Obviously if you have a neck tattoo people are going to find that a little sketchy. Most of these people who “disapprove” of tattoos probably don’t realize how many people they know who actually have them, because they don’t see these people in beach attire.

This is obviously anecdotal, but thinking of my friends who have had the most career success, I can think of several with tattoos:

-Federal prosecutor
-professor at medical school/cardiologist
-senior executive at medical device company
-PhD in economics who routinely consults for Congress

I’ve just never seen any evidence that a tattoo, at least a tasteful one, will hurt your employability. Obviously if it’s a prison tat on your neck, sure. But that’s not what I’m talking about.

Last edited:
Another take – some people think tattoos of a religious figure are considered disrespectful.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back