I was wrong about Harry Potter

  • Thread starter Thread starter estesbob
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a Catholic link that tells the truth and what the original tales are? Thanks.
I don’t know of any Catholic links but I have a copy of some of the original fairy tales that I have had since childhood. I have a copy of Brother Grimm Fairy Tales it does not have a copy right date in it but it’s goes back at least to the 1970s. I also have a big fairy tale book (a Golden Book) with 50 of the tales in them. It dates back to 1971. It gives you the origin of the tale. For example The Little Mermaid is an Anderson tale. I also have a copy of Hans Christian Anderson fairy tales with the illustration copyright date of 1963. Below is a list of some books I have found on Amazon which appear to be the original versions of these tales.

Brother’s Grimm

Christian Anderson Fairy Tales

Another good set to get a good copy of Aseop’s Fables. Again they do not always end pretty. For example the crow loses her cheese to the fox. The old bullfrog blows himself up.
 
EXHIBIT I

The Cat in the Hat, by Dr Seus

Just look at the plot of this insdious book. It begins with a Mother abandoning her children. Thats right-she walks out and leaves two young children alone in the middle of the day! Now Seuss does not give us a reason for this abandonment but it is proabably one of two things-either she is going out to spend her husbands hard earned money on clothes and booze or she is going to meet a secret lover. i suspect it is the latter as the drawing in the book shows her showing a lot of leg as she walks out the door. The result is that an early age our children are exposed to a boook that has themes of adultery an abandoment.

But it gets worst. having been abandonded children know they should call 911. Not the message of this book however-they not only do not make he call but they LET A STRANGER IN!

The fact the stranger looks like a Cat and is colorfully dressed is an attempt to lead our children to believe its ok to go with funny looking strangers. And we soon see what a low life furrball Mr Cat is. Rather than call child protective services to have them placed in a Foster home he proceeds to lead them is several hours of debauchery which includes destroying property, torturing a fish and cavorting with two strange single men(whos relaionship issuspicous at best).

Still Seuss could have redeemed the book by having the children pay the consequences of their actions, But once again he subverts our children by having the cat magically summon a diabolical machine that puts the house back in order. As in Harry Potter we see the glorifitication of magic and the idea that the ends justifies the end.

Truly a desicable book and one that should definately be kept away from our children
I never like Dr. Seuss books. I never bought them for my daughter when she was younger. The face alone of that strange thing would have scared her anyway. I hate all his books.
 
Have we given up on our ideas??? We need to join together to fight the Libarians!
 
Devil to his nephew:

You understood me correctly. All you have to do is make them doubt I exist. If you can’t quite get them to believe that, the next best thing is make them believe that my servants are really good guys. Get them to believe that what is evil is not to bad by calling it fiction. Oh and be sure to have them make fun of anyone who points out it is evil. Before you know it we will have them and their children in our clutches laughing all the way to us.
So true. This thread makes me so sad. I pray that peoples eyes are opened.
 
Mine are. How about yours?
You say you can see. I hope you do. I admit I can only see what the Lord allows me to see. All I can do is follow my conscience in the Lord. I admit I am a poor blind servant of the Lord.

(John 9, 40-41)
Some of the Pharisees who were with him heard this and said to him, “Surely we are not also blind, are we?”. Jesus said to them, "If you were blind, you would have no sin; but now you are saying, ‘We see,’ so your sin remains.
 
Perhaps we should progress to burning all books!

No, wait, we’d have to buy carbon offsets from Algore.

He won the Nobel Prize, you know. :rotfl:
 
Perhaps we should progress to burning all books!

No, wait, we’d have to buy carbon offsets from Algore.

He won the Nobel Prize, you know. :rotfl:
Gather them up-I know a good spell I learned in the Harry Potter books that we can use to set them on fire.
 
Gather them up-I know a good spell I learned in the Harry Potter books that we can use to set them on fire.
Does this include Dr. Suess’s Green Eggs and Ham, The Grinch, or that one story about that one guy who was excluded because he didn’t have a star?
 
Gather them up-I know a good spell I learned in the Harry Potter books that we can use to set them on fire.
Code:
Should we enjoy fire that was lit by witchcraft? Would it be a sin to do so? Would we need to go to confession that we enjoyed enjoyed the fruit of such an activity? Does that make us occultic?It is mighty cold out there…I’m freezing…:eek:
 
It probably would have been better if he had put the “winkie” in the post or title… It is SO difficult to show true satire in print.

I think the HP series was wonderful. A true “good vs. evil” series with very human characteristics involved (even those of troubled teenagers). Do you have a “Lord Voldemort” in your life? How about a Dursley? We could only hope to have friends as true as Ron or Hermione.
👍 I love HP…

…and on a serious note, I think that by the time children are old enough to read the stuff themselves, they pretty much have gotten down how to seperate fantasy from reality and fiction from non-fiction. My son already can, and he’s only 7!
 
Narnia with its hints of bestiality, magic and children hacking others to death with swords is also a book to keep away from your children-but we will leave that for another day
You are joking but I have read some fundamentalist sites that claim that children should never be exposed to any books dealing with talking animals, magic or disobedient children. These people are sadly very serious.
 
You are joking but I have read some fundamentalist sites that claim that children should never be exposed to any books dealing with talking animals, magic or disobedient children. These people are sadly very serious.
Oh we are serious too… I say down with Finding Nemo too…Talking fish…
 
And more disobedience!! :eek:
Exactly!!! I was thinking about snow white too. can you believe with all those men around her that she didn’t choose any of them? Is it because of their height or the jobs?Is she really a bigot?? ARGh…Lets boy-cott all disney movies period…
 
Exactly!!! I was thinking about snow white too. can you believe with all those men around her that she didn’t choose any of them? Is it because of their height or the jobs?Is she really a bigot?? ARGh…Lets boy-cott all disney movies period…
Dwarf walks up to the complaint counter in a store. He says “Im not happy”. Clerk replies “Are you grumpy?”
 
Dwarf walks up to the complaint counter in a store. He says “Im not happy”. Clerk replies “Are you grumpy?”
Careful, now…puns *that *bad may warrant a new penalty for our moderation list. :cool:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top