Identifying and Responding to Imposter Catholics

• Thread starter Thread starter JimG
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he might be talking about a literal imposter because of this comment.

Bonus Imposter Hint: Refusing to be straightforward.​

I asked Jim if he was lying about being a Catholic; I did not call him a liar. He never answered this question either. Finally, how should we respond to these people?

I only brought up Biden because he’s the most prominent example I could think of in today’s political landscape. I could have just as easily substituted in Pelosi, or any number of Catholics who openly dissent from the Church’s teachings.

There are probably a lot of everyday examples of people who still go to Mass and call themselves Catholic even though they reject one or more doctrines of the Church.

Okay I understand the point but I disagree with the label.

Biden is a lapsed Catholic, not an impostor Catholic.

The sacrament of Baptism is what makes a person a Catholic, regardless of that person’s choice later in life to follow or not follow Church teaching.

This is why reverts do not have to be rebaptized.
People don’t need to be re-baptized because their first baptism has already done its purpose, which is to remove original sin. The purpose of baptism isn’t to “join the church.” It is to remove original sin. This is why excommunicated people or heretics and schismatics, people who are no longer a member of the church by any means, do not need to be rebaptized when they repent.

I agree with the near end of this article’s message:
  1. listen; 2) evaluate your interlocutor’s arguments; 3) identify personal attacks and repeated diversions/evasive comments; 4) ask questions and assess answers; 5) try prompting your inquisitor to deal with the arguments presented; if you identity an imposter, 6) go direct and call him or her out; and always 7) pray for your interlocutor that his/her heart and mind will be opened to the truth.
I just don’t get what calling some an imposter Catholic or worrying about whether one is a Catholic or not has anything to do with anything? Listen to people, respond how you can, evaluate counterarguments, be direct–all this is fine and good, but what does being busy about other people’s participation in the Church have anything to do with anything? The author criticizes use of ad hominem arguments by “imposter Catholics” but the majority of the article is itself an exercise in ad hominem?

Seriously though, am I missing the spiritual good of identifying who is a good and faithful Catholic, who is a poser, who is a dissent, who is lukewarm, who is lapsed, etc.? Whom does this help?

Last edited:
Did you happen to finish watching the series? Pope Lenny had an incredible change of heart…

Reactions: Nik
Ya might wanna stop using that clip since he comes to understand why his attitude is so damaging…

I’m talking about Lenny reversing course and no longer seeing this sort of speech as helpful.

This is my position as well. Even Christ himself said that at some point you have to leave, and shake the dust from your sandals. We’re also told that if a brother in faith will not accept correction that they should be treated as the pagans.

If people won’t hear the truth then we need to make it abundantly clear to them that they are no longer welcome, not because we want them to be cast out but because we desire that they understand the nature of their position, and understand that they are hurling themselves headlong into damnation. Keeping up this live-and-let-live attitude is doing no one any good.

Last edited:
Biden claims to be Catholic,
As we have said on many other threads, he doesn’t “Claim” to be Catholic.

He IS Catholic.

He may be a sinful Catholic, a “bad Catholic”, a confused Catholic, or one who has gotten bad/ wrong advice from his spiritual counselors, etc. but he is an actual Catholic, whether people like it or not.

Not an “imposter Catholic”, not a “fake Catholic”, not even a CINO or “cultural Catholic” because he actually practices.
If people won’t hear the truth then we need to make it abundantly clear to them that they are no longer welcome
Good luck with that. First of all, you don’t make the rules, second of all, the Church is a hospital for sinners and not a place where we get to “welcome” people we think are good enough to belong.

I’m finding it pretty funny that so many Catholics on the Internet think it’s their place to decide who is and isn’t a Catholic and who belongs and doesn’t belong in the Church. Fortunately, they don’t get a say.

And if I ever heard one of my fellow Catholics “making it abundantly clear” to ANYONE that “they were no longer welcome” in our Church, I would personally go up, shove the fellow Catholic out of the way, and welcome the person myself. Even those who are formally excommunicated are welcome to attend Mass and pray, and the Church wants and encourages them to come and worship with us. The only people who are “not welcome” at church are those who pose a physical danger to the persons or property there, or are otherwise trespassing, disrupting services, or breaking the law, in which cases the pastor will call security or the police to have the person removed from the premises.

Last edited:
He IS Catholic.
He is against Catholic teaching while being Catholic?

What’s the point of this?

You are baptised in Lord, Christ the Saviour of World yet you cannot partake in Communion with Him.

What’s Catholic about that?

Forgive me, but media proclaiming him being Catholic for me was only an attempt to win Catholic voters.

Until he repent and publicly renounce the evil stuff he supports (since he is public person and his stance on abortion and other things is known to everyone) he cannot eat and drink the Body and Blood of Christ — and we can all agree that this is the real Salvation gate.

Last edited:
True…

But in John 6:66 we read that some disciples actually walked away from Christ because He said His Flesh is true food and His Blood is true drink that we must eat and drink in order to have life in us.

Too, we must receive Him worthily or we will answer for His Body and Blood.

People are free to go but if they’re smart they’ll return like the prodigal son did, who had been considered dead after he left.

Last edited:
He is against Catholic teaching while being Catholic?
There are many Catholics who hold views similar to Biden’s. His political position on pro-choice was actually invented by a priest who remained a priest in good standing for his whole career (he’s now dead) and got a number of US Catholic politicians to buy into his viewpoint.
media proclaiming him being Catholic
Has nothing to do with “Media proclaiming”. He’s Catholic. He was baptized and initiated, and even goes to Mass. Deal with it.

Matthew 13 says it depends on the soil the seed of faith lands on…

In the case of lukewarmly-labeled “pro-choice” Catholics, the ground the seed has landed on is saturated with the blood of $acrificed babies.

Prayer needs, all.

Last edited:
Deal with it.
I am dealing with it with a great pain, believe me.
As @sainteriksrose says, prayers are very needed here.
There are many Catholics who hold views similar to Biden’s.
Even if there would be millions of people supporting abortion and modernistic sinful stances it doesn’t make those stances any good.

Also if you’re truly a Catholic and you cannot partake in Blood and Body of Christ it is in your interest to bring your life as quickly as possible to a state of being able to partake in Holy Communion.

Last edited:
I didn’t say they were good. My point is simply we don’t kick people out of the Church or shun them for having misguided or wrong views. It doesn’t make them “not Catholic”.

And yes, I would hope every Catholic complaining about Biden is praying for him.

Last edited:
Why are we talking about Biden when we’re talking about lapsed Catholics?? Do we really need another thread about Biden?? 🤦‍♀️

Deciding who’s Catholic and who’s not, and deciding who enters Heaven is God’s job. Let’s not judge others.

I hope, if you believe the President Elect is going against God, that you’re praying for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back