If her dad owns a shotgun

  • Thread starter Thread starter BadTurkey
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
And since we are practically neighbors (from what you posted in another thread), I was thinking of publicly asking you here for a date to the range with me (there is one about a block and a half from my house), and give you a FOID car as a Christmas present. 😃 😃
There is no golf range by you!
 
THAT is what is meant by being christian, and how we are to follow him, of course we are human, and having a gun somewhere may relieve or quell some anxiety, but it goes against Christian teaching.
:confused:
 
Sorry I have to call people by a one syllable nickname, it’s more like Cher not SH-ARGH…, lol, I think I do that out of convenience, coolness, or laziness. Not sure which. I do that with everybody.

I grew up in a multi political Italian family, primarily because they had heavy accents and wanted the same opportunity for work and jobs as anyone with a standard American English vernacular accent. Some were too overly stern, I have a lot of relatives that were like the Frank & Marie characters from the show, ā€œEverybody loves Raymond.ā€ Now that could be more embarrassing over the gun. A gun all in fun, or over stuffy relatives who literally think they are gods gift to society(Im great, Im rich, Im brilliant, [outright braggarts])?

I suppose I was more fearful of my fathers verbal threats than guns, because he said it right at you, and you could tell by the look in his eyes that he meant business. I never really got punished or spanked, my parents always said that stuff never worked on us.

I completely agree with that last line!! KUDOS!! You are as hardcore mamma italiana as it gets! Brava!
*Aw, no worries. I thought that’s how you might pronounce it. My sister did the same thingā€¦ā€™ā€˜Cher.’’ lol

Growing up in a strict Italian household, you know then. My dad, for the short time I was with him, was a spanker…a hard one! :eek: No warnings, no time outs back in the 70’s. šŸ˜› Just a spank. A ā€˜shalacking’ he called it. 😊 And he’d yell in Italian, so you knew you were in trouble. When my BIL was courting my sister, my dad was very intimidating, and not a very large man. But, my BIL knew not to mess with him, or his daughter. lol Then my BIL who is half Italian, raised me through my preteen/teen years…and he took the torch from my dad, in strictness. :rolleyes: In looking back, I am grateful…I stayed out of trouble, and chaste. What is largely lacking these days, is that type of raising of kids. That strictness. In all the years growing up, my BIL, who owned a gun…never brought it out in front of my dates…so, as strict as he was, he knew when to draw the line. lol

PS–Never made it to Chicago, for that business trip. But, they are thinking Q1 of next year…so we’ll see. I’d like to visit there, never have been. *
 
+1

And from my last dating experience, I could see myself - while holding the shotgun - asking the boy ā€œso, have you thought of entering the seminary?ā€. Whatevergirl knows the reference, but it could have an unintended sde effetct of seeing a HUGE increase or ordinations to the diocesan presthood in Chicago. Hmm…if that’s the case, maybe I can get the archdiocese to subsidize the ammo?
Careful! That could be taken the wrong way. šŸ˜‰ There’s no need to scare all of them away - just the bad ones. We men have a tendency to get a bit silly when it comes to protecting females of our kin.
 
I think that when you become a parent, you realize that if anything were to happen to your kids…your very heart would feel as though it was being ripped out. I didn’t understand that until becoming a parent. :o At the same time, part of being a good parent, is raising your kids to make good decisions, without you having to defend every battle they face. It’s a balancing act! :juggle:
 
PS–Never made it to Chicago, for that business trip. But, they are thinking Q1 of next year…so we’ll see. I’d like to visit there, never have been. *
Care to be a chaperone when I take OLHope to the gun range? 😃 😃
 
I think that the comment was said more to say that people who own guns shouldn’t use them to intimidate others. And that is true. From the little I have learned so far about owning a gun (because we are thinking of buying one) guns are not toys to be waved around, and made others feel scared from, because one wants to look powerful and scary. And that is not Christian, to intimidate people in such ways. I think that is what was meant by that. Just my interpretation, anyways.
 
I think that the comment was said more to say that people who own guns shouldn’t use them to intimidate others. And that is true. From the little I have learned so far about owning a gun (because we are thinking of buying one) guns are not toys to be waved around, and made others feel scared from, because one wants to look powerful and scary. And that is not Christian, to intimidate people in such ways. I think that is what was meant by that. Just my interpretation, anyways.
But did not St. Gabriel Possenti use a pistol to shoot a snake in the road so as to intimidate a bunch of rogue soldiers away from the village they were harassing? And he wasn’t a soldier, but a SEMINARIAN at the time and even got the rector’s permission to go into the village (if I recall the story correctly).
 
OK, Im a great artist, but never in a million years could I imagine drawing Christ with weapons. Get it? THAT is what is meant by being christian, and how we are to follow him, of course we are human, and **having a gun somewhere may relieve or quell some anxiety, but it goes against Christian teaching. Screw the right to bear arms, this is not a political site. **I was scared that someone was out to get me or my family because someone shot out a glass block on one of our buildings, but then I found out it was my own brother ā€œhaving funā€ā€¦, oh how I wanted to ring his neck! To this day we still haven’t replaced the glass block window.

The closest I got to a gun was a cap gun I had to load for a theater show every night. I hated it everytime, the caps looked like the sixth of the size of a real bullet. Wow, the blast from that thing. Ouch!
I’m sorry…what?! :eek: Are you familiar with the Bible? I encourage you to read the Old Testament, in particular.

ā€œScrew the right to bear armsā€?! This defies common sense, I’m sorry. You think the right to bear arms is unchristian & dismiss it as ā€œpoliticalā€? How and on what basis is owning a gun unChristian? Certain uses of a gun? Yes, absolutely I could agree, but just owning one and using it in a legal manner and/or to defend yourself or your family? I mean, really, how do you think this country got to where it is today? God. Guns. Guts. That’s how.
And honestly, if that’s how you feel, I pray God spare you from any situation where you may need one or need the assistance of someone who has one. 😦
 
But did not St. Gabriel Possenti use a pistol to shoot a snake in the road so as to intimidate a bunch of rogue soldiers away from the village they were harassing? And he wasn’t a soldier, but a SEMINARIAN at the time and even got the rector’s permission to go into the village (if I recall the story correctly).
And that was anywhere from heroic to holy, whereas preventively threatening a gun on one’s peacable fellow citizens, whose goodness one’s obliged to presume in the absence of contrary proof, is a different situation. I can tell you via PM what I’d do if it happened to me because I don’t want anyone to get ideas.

As for the right to bear arms (not from your post, Norseman), I suppose it was a militia kind of thing, whereby the government can’t count on the mass of citizenry being defenceless against a vastly smaller armed force with guns. The 18th century settlers with muskets stood a bigger chance against grenadiers or some such than today’s people with any sort of handguns could dream of when pitched against modern warfare.
 
I think that the comment was said more to say that people who own guns shouldn’t use them to intimidate others. And that is true. From the little I have learned so far about owning a gun (because we are thinking of buying one) guns are not toys to be waved around, and made others feel scared from, because one wants to look powerful and scary. And that* is not Christian, to intimidate people in such ways.*** I think that is what was meant by that. Just my interpretation, anyways.
šŸ‘

That’s exactly what I meant! Thanks for clarifying for me, was in too much of a hurry to get ready for mass.
 
But did not St. Gabriel Possenti use a pistol to shoot a snake in the road so as to intimidate a bunch of rogue soldiers away from the village they were harassing? And he wasn’t a soldier, but a SEMINARIAN at the time and even got the rector’s permission to go into the village (if I recall the story correctly).
*But, in comparison…those soldiers were being trouble makers. We’re speaking of the OP taking someone on a date…innocent enough, no? Dads who have daughters who are dating, shouldn’t be trying to scare suitors with a gun, when there is no reason to suspect wrong doing. So, good point, but a little off target in comparison to this thread at hand. *
 
šŸ‘

That’s exactly what I meant! Thanks for clarifying for me, was in too much of a hurry to get ready for mass.
*šŸ™‚ I figured as much…I think we can all safely say that having a gun for protection is not in any way ā€˜non Christian.’’ It’s in what we do with the gun…it’s in how we carry ourselves. It’s in do we use the gun to intimidate, or to protect? There’s a difference. *
 
Some intimidation is a good thing. If I’m walking through a bad neighborhood, give me a Rottwieler and a shotgun-hopefully they will intimidate anyone who wants to mug me.

Or, I’d take my Bichon-he can be scary!
 
OK the thread is about a shotgun and a father of a potentially interested girl. Ima comNgityou if you do anything to what? hurt her, make her cry, make her mad, girls are emotional and no guy deserves to be staring down the barrel of a gun because princess isn’t getting her way. In your area you might need one to shoot a hungry alligator dead. Certain situations call for certain protocol. No one needs to ever go into to another persons face with an intended threat. Thats the difference.
 
Tampa, I cant even believe you’re saying that. How you would even attempt to wish, pray, or jinx anything like that on me is unnecessary and insensitive, I cant even imagine how you let your mind go that negative. I never ask you to do any of that, and I will ask the BVM to intervene and ask Jesus to not let you wish anything for me, because your intentions at this moment are very disingenuine and I really cant be near false/overbearing energy like that. God help you and your seemingly trigger happy fingers, hope you make your intended target, Im sure you know that isnt always the case with guns!

A right to bear arms is something we should leave to government which the whole slew of you love to talk about, but I came to a faith forum, I still am trying to absorb the non sense I am grasping, I can defend myself, my person, someone elses person so much better with my mouth, and my hands than ever a gun. Does anyone know if the Knights Of Columbus or Swiss Guard carry guns? They are defense. In my church the only people with guns are our awesome CPD, who catch a mass on their lunchbreak, and that’s fine! Are you going to tell me that you file into the church pew with your little kids and your pistol in your purse?
 
This thread is getting kind of mean. Can we go back to being nice, please?

Let’s call a time out-neutral corners!
 
Im in a rough and tumble town, I walk the dark alleys during the night and I dont bat an eye, Im not typically a target for any darkmans plan, so no, I have never known stranger abuse, but I will fight back, and the demon within will come out when provoked, BUT I need someone to pick on me first. I even devised a bank plan when our small bank (no longer exists) was having a string of robberies, our branch was the only one that never got any money taken and no one was hurt. You cant say that of all robberies…, I walk dark alleys because I have no fear, I walk dark alleys because I am a bully to the bullys, and I walk dark alleys as Christs messenger to keep the peace.

To each his own, but you or anyone else points anything like that in my face for doing no more but walk into a new home to meet potential family, you’re a** is going to jail. Some people will take that as a funny joke, but that is also by all American legal standards defined as ā€œa direct threat.ā€ Wake up people! Or do you need the fresh smell of gunpowder for that?

Now can we keep a friendly stance, my sarcasm is growing.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top