INSIGHTS ON ATHEISM

• Thread starter Thread starter Carl
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was Hitler an atheist?

You judge.

Adolf Hitler’s father was an adulterer, a boozer, and a hater of the clergy, while his mother went through the motions of trying to bring religion into her son’s life. As with many other famous atheists, Adolf had a cold and empty relationship with his father. In elementary school he had thought of being a monk, but this phase passed and he was remembered as one who tormented his religion instructor. At the age of fifteen he scowled through his Confirmation service, and later in the day, according to his sponsor, “charged around the house playing Indians.” From his early Catholicism Hitler evolved toward a later preference for Lutheranism and finally a hatred for Christianity and all religions. Yet as a politician he was not reluctant to pander to religious groups if he stood to profit thereby (garnered from Adolf Hitler: Family, Childhood and Youth by Bradley F. Smith).

At the peak of dictatorial power Hitler posed for the famous photograph of himself smiling next to a bust of the “God is dead” philosopher Nietzsche. On another occasion he is reported to have presented the fascist leader Mussolini with a signed copy of Nietzsche’s works. No one should suffer from the illusion that Hitler was a Christian. In that arrogant and finally lunatic “superman” philosopher, Hitler found his perfect excuse for a Holocaust.

Text of Martin Niemoller’s remarks in the Congressional Record, October 14, 1968, page 31636):

“When Hitler attacked the Jews, I was not a Jew, therefore I was not concerned. And when Hitler attacked the Catholics, I was not a Catholic, and therefore, I was not concerned. And when Hitler attacked the unions and the industrialists, I was not a member of the unions and I was not concerned. Then Hitler attacked me and the Protestant Church - and there was nobody left to be concerned.”

When you go about attacking every religion, doesn’t that make you something of an atheist?

We do not judge a man by his words so much as by his actions. Hitler hated all religions and tried to exterminate them. If you find passages from Hitler that seem to indicate his favoring religion, remember they are merely equivalent to the smile you might get from someone who is about to stab you in the back.

If you offer me such passages, I will provide words from his mouth that cancel out the words you have found and that show him to be the hateful bigot he was toward all religion.

I’ve been through this tiresome debate before in the New York Times on the Web. Those who speak of Hitler as a Christian must have to wonder what preachings of Christ would be consistent with the cruelty of that maniac.

Believing our souls immortal has a profound effect upon how we live our lives. Believing that we end with the worms also has a profound effect. Why tell a child he ends with the worms?

40.png
Carl:
We may need an atheist in this forum to kick it up a notch.
Your wish is granted. I am an atheist.

Your wish is granted. I am an atheist.

Welcome to the forum from an erstwhile atheist.

Peace,
Carl

Do athiests not fear death? There should be nothing to fear if we are merely particles that come together for a time and then cease to be. Yet, in my experience, even athiests do fear death. Why? Because we are designed for eternal life. Death is contrary to our design.

Chris W:
Do athiests not fear death? There should be nothing to fear if we are merely particles that come together for a time and then cease to be. Yet, in my experience, even athiests do fear death. Why? Because we are designed for eternal life. Death is contrary to our design.
Do you fear death? If yes, why if you believe that your soul will go on?

Hey Carl:tiphat:

“Do you fear death? If yes, why if you believe that your soul will go on?”

I hope Chris doesn’t mind if I get into this hot water ahead of him.

I do fear death. Fear of pain and suffering is a natural emotion. Fear of letting go of those we love is a natural emotion. Fear of the One who will judge me, that I have been found unworthy to a serious degree, is my greatest fear. Yet I hope for something better than this life. I am buoyed up by that hope. Hope energizes every fabric of my being and makes me want to give joyful thanks for the smallest moments in life.

What I do not fear is nothingness.

Does the atheist fear death? If not, why not, since it is the start of his nothingness?

Or so he thinks.

Another atheist manifests…

Welcome Accipiter!

How can we serve you?

I spent over 30 years of my life being a “card carrying atheist”. What a lonely world in which to live. Praise God that I was received into the ONLY church that Jesus established, The Holy Roman Catholic Church. God is awsome indeed. 👍

Thanks, Carl. Actually, I have no idea, nor how I may serve you, to be honest. But thank you for asking. I was just manifesting in response to the “we may need an atheist” remark… 😉

It’s good to put a human face on the old atheist bogeyman, so that’s probably what I bring to the table. And being an ex-Catholic makes for an even better combo for that role perhaps. Mostly lurking otherwise, waiting for the occasional “Why do atheists do* that*?” sorts of stuff to come up. Do atheists *really *do such and such? That sort of thing I spose.

It’s good to put a human face on the old atheist bogeyman, so that’s probably what I bring to the table.

That’s fine. I hope you get to eat before the food gets cold.

Pax,
Carl

mkw

*I spent over 30 years of my life being a "card carrying atheist. *

I don’t mean to put you on the spot, but atheist conversion stories are usually fascinating. Anything you’d care to share?

Carl

40.png
Monarchy:
Do you fear death? If yes, why if you believe that your soul will go on?

Hey Carl:tiphat:
I fear death, but I can explain that fear because I recongnize that death is contrary to my design. I was designed for eternal life so it makes sense that I would have a reaction against death.

It seems to me fear of death is less explainable without this recognition. What is an atheistic explanation for this fear?

Chris W:
What is an atheistic explanation for this fear?
It seems to me there are several good explanations:

Death is often accompanied by pain.

You judge that life is worth living and don’t want it to end.

There are people you love who need you.

The evolutionary answer - life forms that fear death are more likely to take steps to ensure their survival than those that don’t care whether they live or die.

DREW

The evolutionary answer - life forms that fear death are more likely to take steps to ensure their survival than those that don’t care whether they live or die.

I never heard of a life form that didn’t care whether it lived or died. Could you name one for me? I assume you are talking about a species, rather than a member of the species

40.png
Carl:
Why tell a child he ends with the worms?
First of all, I think I could put it a little more delicately than that if I were talking to a child.

Second, if one believes that’s the truth then shouldn’t we be honest with our children?

Third, isn’t that better than telling a child he’ll burn in hell for eternity if he chooses the wrong religion? Or that his non-Christian friends are destined for hell?

DREW

First of all, I think I could put it a little more delicately than that if I were talking to a child.

But if your child watches t.v., he would know that he ends with the worms. As you well know, there are no delicacies left on television.

Second, if one believes that’s the truth then shouldn’t we be honest with our children?

Are you contradicting your first sentence?

Third, isn’t that better than telling a child he’ll burn in hell for eternity if he chooses the wrong religion? Or that his non-Christian friends are destined for hell?

Yes, I suppose some “Christians” have held that view. If they did so, it was to help save the souls they were talking to, rather than see them dumped into eternal hellfire. So the warning was at least benevolent.

What benevolence springs from telling children they go to the worms?

Sorry, you guys are wearing me out. I’m going to bed.

Peace,
Carl

Drew,

I guess I should have stated my question more concisely. The fear I am describing is more than separation from loved ones, or avoidance of pain, or missing out on the fun things in life. Rather, I am talking about the thought of no longer existing. Even athiests must realize a sense of self…the essense of the person. I cannot comprehend the thought of the essense of me just ceasing to exist.

Perhaps dying isn’t the right word. The fear I am describing is the fear of ceasing to exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back