Is Allah equivalent to Yahweh?

• Thread starter Thread starter YHWH_Christ
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

YHWH_Christ

As Zeus is to Jupiter, Yahweh is to Allah? Are they equivalent in that sense?

Last edited:
YHVH is the same as Allah, just two different languages. They both refer to the God of Abraham.

I would say no it is not. Allah means god in general in Arabic. So we could say El and Allah are like Zeus and Jupiter. But Yahweh is the covenantal name between God and Israel. Allah is not. Therefore, Allah and Yahweh are not synonymous. And then the problem comes in of who is Allah in Islam and who is Yahweh in Christianity and I see difference.
Thats my opinion

God Bless

As Zeus is to Jupiter, Yahweh is to Allah? Are they equivalent in that sense?
Catholic Encyclopedia
The notion of Allah in Arabic theology is substantially the same as that of God among the Jews, and also among the Christians, with the exception of the Trinity, which is positively excluded in the Koran, cxii: “Say God, is one God, the eternal God, he begetteth not, neither is he begotten and there is not any one like unto him.”
Butin, R. (1907). Allah. In The Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company. http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01316a.htm

The general word for god in Arabic is ilah, plural aliha. It is used in the same way as lowercase “god” in English. The word “Allah”, on the other hand, is specific to one situation only and that is when referring to the one God. There is no plural form “Allah”. In fact, the very usage of the word lah (in al-Lah, “the God”), instead of ilah ( or al-ilah, “the god”) itself is notable since to Arabic speakers this specific usage firmly implies that the one saying “Allah” is speaking of one God, and only one, while also denying the existence of any other God, something that would not have been implied had the person used ilah.

As for it being the literal name of God, I don’t see why that is relevant. Almost every culture refers to God in its own language with no problem. They call him Dieu, Dio, etc…not YHWH. I fail to see why people keep getting hung up on the Arabic version.

Last edited:
The general word for god in Arabic is ilah , plural aliha . It is used in the same way as lowercase “god” in English. The word “Allah”, on the other hand, is specific to one situation only and that is when referring to the one God. There is no plural form “Allah”. In fact, the very usage of the word lah (in al-Lah , “the God”), instead of ilah ( or al-ilah , “the god”) itself is notable since to Arabic speakers this specific usage firmly implies that the one saying “Allah” is speaking of one God, and only one, while also denying the existence of any other God, something that would not have been implied had the person used ilah .

As for it being the literal name of God, I don’t see why that is relevant. Almost every culture refers to God in its own language with no problem. They call him Dieu, Dio, etc…not YHWH. I fail to see why people keep getting hung up on the Arabic version.
Excellent!

Allah and Yahweh aren’t exactly the same, just like God and Yahweh aren’t exactly the same. ‘Allah’ is the standard word for ‘God’ in Arabic, and it is a word used by Arabic-speaking Christians along with Muslims.

Yahweh is a special name used for God in the Old Testament, “I AM”. So, a person wouldn’t normally use ‘God’ and ‘Yahweh’ interchangeably, just like a person wouldn’t use ‘Allah’ and ‘Yahweh’ interchangeably.

‘Allah’ and ‘God’ are both interchangeable and both of these words are used at Masses or Divine Liturgies.

Last edited:
I often find myself wondering what those who claim otherwise would do if they ever heard prayers like the Magnificat in a Middle Eastern church.

Li-anna Allah-a qad sana’aa bi al-‘aaja’iba, wa ismahu Qaddoos.

“For the Lord has done miracles in me, and His name is Holy.”

Last edited:
YHVH is the same as Allah, just two different languages. They both refer to the God of Abraham.
They both refer to the God of Abraham, but Yahweh is a special name that God gave to Moses and conventionally it isn’t suppose to be said out loud. A more vernacular way for referring to God in Hebrew would be Adonai (“My Lord”) or something similar.

Last edited:
I think the first thing to distinguish is that Jupiter was the name given to a god in Roman mythology and Zeus the name of one in Greek mythology. The two were considered equivalent of each other in being the principal god in their multi-deity mythology. Yahweh is a name some give to the God of Christianity and perhaps to the G-d in which the Jews believe. However, Allah is different in that it is not the name of a god.

Allah is an anglicisation of Arabic for God or the God. It is a very common misconception to believe Muslims give their god a name and that it is ‘Allah’.

It is often said that Judaism, Christianity and Islam are the three Abrahamic religions and that we all believe in the same God. However, our understandings of God are very different. I do often wonder if we place our belief in the same deity. Jews and Muslims most certainly repudiate the doctrine of the Trinity and consider it to be major heresy.

I think the first thing to distinguish is that Jupiter was the name given to a god in Roman mythology and Zeus the name of one in Greek mythology. The two were considered equivalent of each other in being the principal god in their multi-deity mythology.
The two names were given to the same planetary body, which could be seen everywhere on Earth. Mythologies also considered them the same or equivalent. Compare this to Norse, where Thor was he name for the same planet, but he was not considered the chief God. That dignity went to Odin, called Mercury or Hermes in the Mediterranean systems.
Allah means god in general in Arabic. So we could say El and Allah are like Zeus and Jupiter. But Yahweh is the covenantal name between God and Israel. Allah is not.
This is actually the best description of the relation, so I am baffled by @SeekerOfTruth7’s conclusions. We could say, based on the info here, that Yahweh is the covenantal name between Allah and Israel. Yahweh, God, Allah all refer to the same reality, with some differences.

In the Quran.

Allah’s Apostle said, “The most awful name in Allah’s sight on the Day of Resurrection, will be (that of) a man calling himself Malik Al-Amlak (the king of kings).”

— Sahih al-Bukhari Book 73 Hadith 224

We know who the King of Kings is.

I don’t think that’s what the verse means. Better check with a Muslim @Niblo.

Alternatively, I can send a quick text to a cleric I know.

The two names were given to the same planetary body, which could be seen everywhere on Earth. Mythologies also considered them the same or equivalent. Compare this to Norse, where Thor was he name for the same planet, but he was not considered the chief God. That dignity went to Odin, called Mercury or Hermes in the Mediterranean systems.
I agree Odin was the supreme deity of Norse mythology; however, I’m afraid I don’t understand the purpose of your post.

I don’t think that’s what the verse means. Better check with a Muslim @Niblo.

Alternatively, I can send a quick text to a cleric I know.
Hello Salibi.

The ḥādīth is authentic; but it is not referring to Yeshua (ʿalayhi as-salām). As far as Islam is concerned he never claimed to be the ‘King of Kings’; never claimed to be God; and never will claim to be God.

In sūrah ‘Al-Ma’ida’ Yeshua is asked if he ever gave permission to be taken as a god alongside God. He replies: ‘May You be exalted! I would never say what I had no right to say – if I had said such a thing You would have known it: You know all that is within me, though I do not know what is within You, You alone have full knowledge of things unseen – I told them only what You commanded me to: ‘‘Worship Allāh, my Lord and your Lord.’’ I was a witness over them during my time among them. Ever since You took my soul, You alone have been the watcher over them: You are witness to all things and if You punish them, they are Your servants; if You forgive them, You are the Almighty, the Wise.’’’ (Verses 116-118).

These verses are prophetic. The conversation between the Exalted and Yeshua takes place on the Day of Judgement; when he – in common with everyone else – is asked to give an account of his life.

Yeshua is reminded that certain Christians have exaggerated his spiritual station, and attributed divinity to him. He denies ever giving permission for this. On the contrary, he: ‘Demonstrates an attitude of proper comportment before God by offering a response of perfect humility, saying he had no right to utter such a thing.’ (Seyyed Hossein Nasr: ‘The Study Quran: A New Translation and Commentary’).

Yeshua (ʿalayhi as-salām) is the Messiah. He will always remain beloved by God.

Perhaps the ḥādīth is using metaphor to describe one who declares himself equal to God simply by living a life of sin; for when we sin we make gods of ourselves. When we sin it is our will that matters, and not His. This is just a thought. I would like to see what your Imam acquaintance has to say.

May the Exalted reward you for all the good that you do, and keep you safe.

Last edited:
“Allah” is the used in Catholic Mass when prayed in Arabic. It is simply “Allah” is simply “God” in Arabic.
Also in Maltese (but spelled as “Alla”), which is the only Semitic language (specifically Arabic with heavy Latinisation) that is a national language of a European country, in this case, one that is 95% Catholic and has been for centuries.

The Allah of Islam is not Yahweh of Israel. Yahweh of Israel is Triune, Allah of Islam is not. Through generic terms, god=allah. But Yahweh being the convenental God of Israel is demonstrably different than the Allah of Islam. Yahweh is not a generic term for god, it is a specific name for the God of Israel. Allah is the specific name for the god of Islam, who is far different than the God of Israel who is the Triune God that revealed Himself fully through the Son.
Zeus does not equal god. But Jupiter was the roman equivalent of Zeus. Yahweh and Islamic Allah are different gods, one being true, the other not.

God bless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back